A bicycle engine kit for a 11 year old? YES or NO

GoldenMotor.com

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
Since I've been putting my first engine kit together I see my 10 year old son is getting envious LOL. So I thought maybe I should get him one too so we can work on his together. I would install the engine on his MTB with the smaller 24" (I think) rims. Since the circumference of the 24" rim is smaller than our 26" rims his top speed would be less than our bikes. I'd get him the 50cc engine version and additionally put in some safeguards to limit his top speed.

He already has one of those little 50cc kids quads that he rides at camp in the summer but of course the quad having 4 wheels I feel is a lot safer and even though he's driven that darn thing into the side of the barn a few times at a decent clip when he first got it he didn't get hurt.

SO what do you guys think? Good or bad idea to get an 11y/o one of these?

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Since I've been putting my first engine kit together I see my 10 year old son is getting envious LOL. So I thought maybe I should get him one too so we can work on his together. I would install the engine on his MTB with the smaller 24" (I think) rims. Since the circumference of the 24" rim is smaller than our 26" rims his top speed would be less than our bikes. I'd get him the 50cc engine version and additionally put in some safeguards to limit his top speed.

He already has one of those little 50cc kids quads that he rides at camp in the summer but of course the quad having 4 wheels I feel is a lot safer and even though he's driven that darn thing into the side of the barn a few times at a decent clip when he first got it he didn't get hurt.

SO what do you guys think? Good or bad idea to get an 11y/o one of these?
totaly! Im 11 and lovin' it! (note: i hope i seem more mature, i find it common kids my age or anyone within 2 years of me seems very immature at times.. lol)

how about some sorta beach cruiser w/ a rear trike kit?? it be pricey but just an idea.
also check out atomiczombie.com, they have a forum w/ info on building your on three wheeler IF you have a welder.
lol tell your son hi from me :D

Sam.we.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
He will never forget the experience, do it. One nice thing on a two stroke engine, it can be throttled at both ends. You can restrict the exhaust and it makes a good governor and it still has strong pull up to a point. 20" wheels and a 44 tooth sprocket may be a bit too large, you may need to use a 39, as these engines don't like to spin up too well. Have fun, Dave

Ted

Apr 20, 2010
Leavenworth Wa.
I used to sell Honda's, then as now there was a concern about kids having access to full throttle, what we did to limit this and still give the parent the ability to increase the throttle opening was to drill the cap and install a #6 long screw that acted as a throttle stop, it was double nutted and could be backed out at the parents discretion.

PutsTheDUIinRUINED

Oct 17, 2009
'zona
Do it. Hard work + Responsibility = Starts becoming a man (Good for you). Ten yer old with a motorized bike = Coolest Kid at School (Good for Him).

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I will ad "Fo'sho'!"

Heck, just having a dad around at his age is a good thing. A dad and son working on a motorized bike together? "priceless" as they say.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'll second what's already been written. He'll learn a whole lot especially if you help him motorize his bike and he doesn't help you. You know what I mean, even if in the end you do most of the work, ownership is a big deal. Also a responsibility as the owner/rider to be checking things, riding safely or getting hurt. What could be better than two buddies building and riding together? Father and son. Good for both of you. He'll only be a boy for a little while. What would it have meant to you if your dad had taken the time to do this with you? I'm a little envious as my kids are all grown up. Good luck and safe riding to you both.
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I am up there with SB I will thired it. My brother is 3 years older then me. I can remember my first rid was on one of his friends bikes I was about 14. Boy did that hook me. It was the old cutout cenerator friction drive with the old briggs washing machine motor. That was the start. I had the first Go-kart in town and by the 15 I knew more about small engines then my dad,so he was not much help other then was able to make a few parts were he worked.
And now after all these years I am rehooked. LOVE IT Sure would have been nice to have a kit back then

Last edited:

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
I wouls have to agree with the people who say go for it, ive taken my 5 yr old son in a trailer behind my motor bike, and my son loves it. he wants me to make him one when he gets older. the only thing i would say is the obvious helmet. not that i need to say it, but tho im stuburn and dont wear a helmet( yes i know the danger of this, stuff does hurt worse the faster you go). But i definintely think he will love it and the experience will be a good memory for him. SO go for it
nich

macattie88

Dec 2, 2009
columbia sc
build him the bike....my first motorcycle was a 3 wheeler back in 1973 and always have great memories of that bike...got a ct 70 the next christmas and have been riding ever since,just bought a harley two weeks ago,he will love it and you two will build good memories together...he will probably develop a passion for motorcycles
(and mb's) like i did and thats not a bad thing!

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
Thanks for all the words of encouragement guys. And a shout out to weekend-fun (Sam)...good to see someone my son's age chiming in as well.

I thought I'd at least get some "what are you thinking" or "that's irresponsible parenting" from someone. :rolleyes: I think I just spend too much time around women where my 'great' mechanical ideas are often downgraded to 'hair-brained schemes' so I end up doubting myself. Plus, against my own parents' advice I bought a motorcycle myself when I turned 18 and had a real close call with a semi which scared me ****less and I haven't owned a motorcycle since. Granted a motorized bicycle and a motorcycle are two different beasts.

Anyways, the only one besides me who seems to be entirely for it is my son's grandma but then again she was the one who got him the quad and I must admit she is more 'redneck' than I am. LOL Although my fiancee on more than one occassion has expressed interest in her own bike but has taken the wait and see approach to see if it's something she'd want once my own bike is completed. I'm sure once she takes a ride she'll be hooked too. Then maybe it'll be something for the three of us to do together.

The quad is bulletproof reliable, just add gas and go so my son isn't really learning much. Plus he's too much into Star Wars and video games and well, I just can't have that or he'll en up with no mechanical aptitude whatsoever. scratg I figure with the china bicycle engines needing constant tinkering and tweaking this will be a good opportunity for him to get a crash course on mechanics of small engines and will get him more interested in mechanical things like I've always been.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
I have to echo the opinion of every one here. Go for it. I am doing the same thing for my son and he is 13. I also have fond memories of being a child riding a motorcycle and the thrill of the ride as well as the rush of being trusted to do so, as well as the learning experience that went along with it.

In my opinion there should be limitations as to where and when he can ride and with whom. Those are the limits with my son. Otherwise well you know the rule about the inch and the yard....we tested it. Didn't we?

Have fun both of you.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
It would be great for you and your son to build a bike together for him.
If i was you, you will want to govern his speed and ride together with him off road at a safe place,thats if you want him to live long enough to enjoy it. You will also want to go over the safety stuff about the bike and power tools too,if you want him to keep all his fingers.

Ride safe and enjoy.

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
Nougat you mean in IL you have to be 16 to ride MBs onroad period or 16 to ride motorized MBs onroad? Wow, either way that's interesting.

Santa_cruz_loc

Jan 15, 2010
Santa Cruz, CA.
It sounds like you have all the safety issues in mind, not to mention the father/son time is what life is all about. I can't wait until my oldest is old enough to tear up the bike lanes with his ol' man!

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
Nougat...oops, sorry for that snafu...I'm still a newbie at this. :)

dvddtz..yeah, that's exactly what I have in mind! Looks like your little one is pulling a wheelie there in that pic. heh heh heh

Yup, he's already got all the safety gear both from his quad (an actual full-face bike helmet) and from his bicycle (a bicycle helmet). Here in Ontario, Canada anyone under 18 must wear a bicycle helmet by law while riding their bike. Over 18 and it's up to your discretion. I guess the premise being that over 18 you ought to know better and wear one anyways. Most adults I see biking around town though don't wear one. I'm also considering purchasing him some knee and elbow pads like rollerbladers use just in case he wipes out.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Kids in my neighborhood were on minibikes and go-carts at that age. I still have scars to prove it...lol.

My only concern would be the local authorities. By law you have to be 16 to ride a motorized bicycle.

Otherwise, keep lots of bandaids and iodine around...