GoldenMotor.com

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com

[email protected]

Oct 7, 2013
NH
Hello msrfan. You had posted photos of some 5hp briggs bikes that you were racing. I'm trying to figure out the clutch setup. You mentioned a one way bearing or something like that, in order to allow you to start the motor by pedaling. Could you possibly shoot me some more tech info about that setup?

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hi Dan, one-way bearings, often called clutch or sprag bearings. turn one way like a regular bearing and lock up solid when spun the opposite direction. If a centrifugal clutch has one of these in it, you can pedal start your bike. The problem is the ones I'm using (made by 3rd Milenium Energy) were very expensive and are not being made anymore. I bought them because the spacing of the two pulleys are just right for my Briggs builds. Another option is any autoclutch made for the later (after 1998) Wizzers as they're all pedal start. Still another way is to buy a standard Max Torque clutch and install a pawl like forum member "Goldy" did for his Merkel replica. You can research his post and he details how it's done. What powers your bike? I'm starting to use 3D Motorsports manual clutches on the bikes I'm building now. Five out of the seven bikes I'm working on now will use the 3D clutch.

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
2 way clutches, if you can lay hands on a Dimoby as used in Mobylettes, that may help. There are single speed and vario options with them as well.

[email protected]

Oct 7, 2013
NH
Thanks! I now have my 16 yo son involved in building them too. He's learning all the ins and outs of welding, fabricating, painting etc. We are having a blast! Must be something wrong here to be having so much fun with a hobby and making some money as we sell them! No build threads yet, I will get to that soon. Here is a boardtracker he just built to sell, completely built by him!

www.adelphiamotorcycleco.com

Attachments

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
That is an awesome build msrfan! I love it! More video!
Thank you. I'll be installing the electric start engine soon and will post some videos then. There's some maintenance to do after all these years, but it's in surprisingly good condition considering all the trips to the desert and assorted events. I'll post the transformation and upgrades as I go.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Cool build. Can you shift on the fly with that transmission?

Here's my neighbors scout, real cool little vehicle. He redid the wiring, brakes, cleaned the carb and was amazed to see how with a smartphone I can take a photo of the numbers on the carb, zoom in, and send messages with these pics Lol! He's a ww2 vet. Helped him put in this new seat which apparently has too much padding compared to the old one and we are hoping it will compress a bit over time.

Attachments

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks Tony. It's geared to about 15mph tops and just let off the gas and change speeds. It has the belt clutch before it and you can take off in any gear.

I love those early scouts. They're getting scarce. And thank him for his service.