Practice lap at an oval

GoldenMotor.com

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
late last night, probably around 11:00pm, I was bored and wanted to do a lap on a track. All I have around here is a 1/4 mile oval track and field track with a rubberized surface. Got a friend to time me, and I went from a dead stop, about 10m from the 'start line'. Managed a 37.7s lap, I was happy with it, but I figured I could do better. I let a friend have a go at it, and they scored a 47.6, may as well be 1000 years in racing terms :p

So I decided to go for a second lap. This time I really tried, and managed to score a 34.6 (hard to say if thats any good or not haha). But in combination with this, it was dark, I did have lights, but I came out of the last corner a little hot and ran out of track and went onto the grass. I didn't want to hit the brakes and skid, but saw I was coming up on my friend timing me pretty fast, I estimate the speed around 45km/hr. The track is lined with a 2x2 wooden board that meets the grass to the track. As I tried to hop back up onto the track, my tire caught the board and went down. I skidded across the line for a 34.6, and I'm quite thankful the track was rubberized, my whole left side burns a bit from road rash, my left knee is too sore to walk on normally, and my right wrist is too sore to move significantly from bracing myself. Didn't hit my head at all, I just sort of rolled and skidded.

Despite all of that, the bike is 100% fine aside from a ever so slightly bent front tire (a spoke adjustment should fix it) and a broken mirror... oddly on the side that DIDNT hit the ground. I'm just happy that I cut a massive 3.1s off my first lap, and I'd like to go again, or even on a real track. That will come one day, I love racing, and never plan on slowing down :)

I probably could have turned sharper though, being a rubberized track I likely had tons of grip to spare, I just find it hard to figure out how hard I can turn with this bike.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
He ever figures a way through the turn on the gas more that things really gonna honk...its already fast

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
christ man I would love to ride that. Unfortunately, racie, the only way to go faster, is to turn harder, and thats where my fear would come in. I imagine it took alot of crashes to learn where the limits of bicycle tires are. I only had MTB tires but I was still full throttle almost all the way around, but it takes me like 8 seconds to get through the straightaway, that video looked like 4, you barely got to the outside when you dove back in, crazy fast, i'd love to see that. I cant wait to call my bike finished, but I still have a bit of money to spend haha. Scotto, you're my inspiration for tuning my little bugger :) Ever since I saw the video of you (??) on youtube doing ~50mph on a 41T I knew these motors have alot of potential, and I'm pushing my motor to do the same, and hopefully beyond :)

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Don't worry mew.... I'm not about to try and find a bikes limits in a turn...I know some people don't mind though. BTW my ambassador with a stock 212 will hit 55 easily but I'm not leaning it in a turn to find out the rest...I'll watch though if someone wants to.

Last edited: