stem size for schwinn clarimont

GoldenMotor.com

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
what size is the stem on a clairmont i wanna get a springer front end but dont know what size i need
If I had to guess I would say it is a 1 1/8" stem, but I am not 100% sure. You can measure it real easily by undoing the top nut and measure across the threaded stem with a caliper.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
dont even need a caliper, I measured the steerer tube on my cranbrook with a tape measure before changing to shock forks. And if I had to guess, I would say 1" threaded. Most wallyworld bikes that have threaded headsets are 1", not 1 & 1/8.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Yea use the tape measure from top of fork tube to the top of the nut. This will get you your stem length, but to get the diameter you need to measure with some calipers or take a crescent wrench and close the jaw down around the threaded part just under the top nut and measure the opening of the jaw. Or you can take the handle bars off and remove the nut then measure across the top of the stem tube.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Nope. I measured the diameter of my steerer tube and the steerer tube of the shock fork with a tape measure to make sure they were both 1". It aint hard to see where the widest point of the tube is. just remember that your measuring the outer diameter, not the inner diameter, and you should be fine. like i said, i measured the diameter of both tubes with a tape measure. you can also measure the length with a tape measure.

gearjnkee

Aug 29, 2012
HogTown
You'll be hard pressed to find any schwinn (except for their serious mtnbikes from the 90's) that does not have a 1" headtube...just for future reference

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
You'll be hard pressed to find any schwinn (except for their serious mtnbikes from the 90's) that does not have a 1" headtube...just for future reference
That isn't true, my '96 Schwinn Cruiser Six had a 1 1/8" and so did my '05 Alloy Seven.

A quick look on Schwinn's website will tell you almost all of their cruisers have 1 1/8" head tubes, too. The Clairmont isn't listed tho.

Edit: their Meridian trike, Wayfarer cruiser, and Lakeshore Cruiser all have 1" tho. The Clairmont is a cheap bike like the Wayfarer and Lakeshore, so it's likely to be 1" as well

Last edited:

gearjnkee

Aug 29, 2012
HogTown
My bad. To be honest, I haven't paid attention to schwinn as a serious manufacturer since they started selling bikes at department stores. Before that all the s...chwinn's I've worked on have been 1"