Living in the mountains/breaking in engine?

GoldenMotor.com

carpetrugger

Apr 29, 2009
Calif.
I live in the mountains a few miles below Big Bear Ca. elevation is 5'5oo ft. and with in two miles it's at 7000 ft. I have two options, up hill or down hill. I've read not to use the throttle down hill and right now with my stock 44 tooth sprocket going up hill I still have to peddle most of the time and it seams to me this is quite a strain on the engine I know it is on me. My question's are can I safley break my engine in while it's working so hard going up hill? I going to order another sprocket but not sure what size to get 48 tooth 50 or maby 56, need help on this decision as the only experance I have is with the stock 44 tooth. I've been transporting my bike down the mountain to ride but I really want to be able to ride it up here.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Actually, you should give it some gas while going down hill because the only oil that the engine gets is mixed in the gas!!!
Your engine will start to get more power as it breaks in.

I don't know how much you weigh? but I weigh around 200 lbs, & a 44 tooth pulls me up big hills with a running start... so, you might go with a 46 or 48T sprocket if you really think you need a lower gear.
Keep in mind that the lower gear you go, the slower you will go on flat ground & down hill!

I don't see any problem breaking in the engine while going up hill, just try not to 'lug' the engine, & use 24:1 oil mix for break in!

Last edited:

steef

Dec 21, 2009
Louisiana
I would think about getting a jackshaft kit installed and use a small 24 tooth frount freewheel sprocket and the 9 tooth sprocket for the shiftkit.Would probably cost you close to $300.but would probably give you the torch you need toget up that hill. Check it out at Sick Bike Parts

carpetrugger

Apr 29, 2009
Calif.
Thanks Venice, problem is I don't have a straight away around here to build up speed it's either up hill or down hill. I found a guy that has a couple sprockets he will sell me, a 48 & a 50 both for 20 bucks shiped. For 20 bucks I'll try them both and use which ever one works best for me. Thinking of buying a parts bike off craigslist and using the rear wheel for my 44 tooth. I can't afford a shift kit yet but some day maybe. I have a Schwinn Jaguar and also weigh about 200lb. I'm running a 47cc Dax engine and only have about 15 miles on the engine. I'm sure the engine will develop more power as it breaks in I just have to be able to ride it far enough to break it in. I'm hoping one of these new sprockets will make it possible. If you use 24 to 1 during break in what do you recommend afterwords?

carpetrugger

Apr 29, 2009
Calif.
Don't I have to wait untill it's broke to try to tune the carb, seeing how the spark plug will be wet from the extra oil, or is this not normal during the break in period?

mdlee1958

Feb 22, 2009
Fort Collins, Colorado
You need to set your jet needle to the last notch. I live at 5400 ft here in Colo and thats where I have mine set at. As long as you have even and consistent throttle there is nothing wrong with breaking it in going down hill. If that were the case every 2 stroker in Colo would have died out with the dinosaurs....LOL.

mdlee1958

Feb 22, 2009
Fort Collins, Colorado
My first HT engine was "broken-in" going down hill and it lasted 5000mi before the front engine mount finally broke. I eventually fixed the mount and it is living a very happy life on my 2nd build.