TollyFab MK2 MOD01 - first bike

GoldenMotor.com

T0lly

Aug 11, 2009
Sapulpa, OK
Great forum here, has helped my first project greatly.
The TollyFab MK2 MOD01
I started with a Grubee Skyhawk 66cc kit. Bike is a Schwinn Skyliner. I had planned to use a Trek 820 but it was too small and needed frame mods to fit. I was skeptical when I ordered the kit, but it has met my expectations. I quickly threw this together a couple days ago and have some tweaking to do. I had to modify the intake and move carb to side to clear the frame. The bike has grip shifts on it, so I couldn't use the twist throttle. I robbed a thumb trottle off a mini atv I had in the shop. The Muffler would not clear the pedals so I cut it off and will relocate. After the first test ride I am hooked, these are a blast. I have a small metal fab shop and look forward to making some custom rides. So here is a sneak peek of my first one, more to follow.

Attachments

Last edited:

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Great forum here, has helped my first project greatly.
The TollyFab MK2 MOD01
I started with a Grubee Skyhawk 66cc kit. Bike is a Schwinn Skyliner. I had planned to use a Trek 820 but it was too small and needed frame mods to fit. I was skeptical when I ordered the kit, but it has met my expectations. I quickly threw this together a couple days ago and have some tweaking to do. I had to modify the intake and move carb to side to clear the frame. The bike has grip shifts on it, so I couldn't use the twist throttle. I robbed a thumb trottle off a mini atv I had in the shop. The Muffler would not clear the pedals so I cut it off and will relocate. After the first test ride I am hooked, these are a blast. I have a small metal fab shop and look forward to making some custom rides. So here is a sneak peek of my first one, more to follow.
Excellent build Tolly....you faced the same exact issues I had....having to fabricate a side draft intake.....my pedals hit the muff pipe too.. ( easy fix ...just vice it and bend )......and you're rigtht. these *SCREAM*. LOL. have fun mate !

Laters,
Salty .shft..shft..shft..shft.brnot

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
How do you actually bend the muffler? Do you heat it up???

Thanks

Nicholas
Not at all....just vice it at it's greatest length...( the pipe not the actual muffler ) and GENTLY push it the direction you need it to go......... don't force it .....take your time.....patience is a virtue

Good luck,
Saltybrnotbrnot

T0lly

Aug 11, 2009
Sapulpa, OK
Well after the first run I found a list of things I wanted to change. So I tore the bike down and started modding.
I did not like the stock clutch cable setup, it had a bad angle and set the cable against the engine.
I made a bracket that set the cable higher and away from the engine case.

I threw it together quick and already plan another version, but I will run this for a while.

T0lly

Aug 11, 2009
Sapulpa, OK
The stock exhaust did not fit well so that was next on the list. I started by cutting up the exhaust manifold. I noticed the hole ID on the flange did not match the pipe ID. So free performance upgrade just opening up the flange a bit.
Before

After

It is not great but hopefully better.

T0lly

Aug 11, 2009
Sapulpa, OK
On the exhaust I cut and rotated the tubing, added and extension, and then added a turnout on the end. This put the muffler along the centerline of the frame tube, away from the pedals. The turnout is to keep the hot gases off the tire.

I am not real happy with how it looks, more function over form.
Do you think I need to add a support for the muffler?

T0lly

Aug 11, 2009
Sapulpa, OK
Next on list was the chain tensioner in the kit. It did not mount parallel to the chain when mounted. I made a bracket and welded to the frame setting the tensioner wheel straight and solid.

It was late and I had a good buzz when I painted it, now I see the runs (DOH)

T0lly

Aug 11, 2009
Sapulpa, OK
The stock intake would not work with this frame, as no room for the carb. When I first installed the kit I used some copper tubing and made a big mess. Round 2 on the intake. .5" EMT is a good fit, cheap, and readily available. I cut, rotated the stock peice, than added a section of tubing. Offsetting the carb and clearing frame and other parts. It is mounted nice and tight now. Will see if that long of an intake will affect performance.

T0lly

Aug 11, 2009
Sapulpa, OK
The top bar of the frame is an triangular shape and the stock fuel tank doesn't fit very well. I made a bracket to raise it up a mount square. Added 5mm rubber shims between the mount and tank.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Amazing work Tolly.....I like the chain tensioner....I had same thoughts on intake pipe....am working on my own version using a 45 degree piece of metal conduit....I've had no issues with my tank mounting up correctly on my frame ....maybe mine has wider brackets?... I dunno...as for a muffler support I wouldn't suggest a sturdy one welded on or anything as the motors tend to vibrate a bit....go with the one that came with the kid....it flexes a bit.....in any case awesome work!....keep us posted...

Laters,
Salty.shft.

Last edited:

T0lly

Aug 11, 2009
Sapulpa, OK
Amazing work Tolly.....I like the chain tensioner....I had same thoughts on intake pipe....am working on my own version using a 45 degree piece of metal conduit....I've had no issues with my tank mounting up correctly on my frame ....maybe mine has wider brackets?...
I will test the tensioner but I am already planning a spring tensioner for future.
45 degree should work fine, I was trying to keep the intake as straight as possible.
The fuel tank fit but I had to spread the studs slightly to go over the tube. I didn't like it rubbing the frame and the petcock was rubbing as well. So easy mod cleaned it up and hopefully better in the long run.

Thanx for the props.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
I will test the tensioner but I am already planning a spring tensioner for future.
45 degree should work fine, I was trying to keep the intake as straight as possible.
The fuel tank fit but I had to spread the studs slightly to go over the tube. I didn't like it rubbing the frame and the petcock was rubbing as well. So easy mod cleaned it up and hopefully better in the long run.

Thanx for the props.
I always give credit where credit is due !

Laters,
Salty.shft.

T0lly

Aug 11, 2009
Sapulpa, OK
On first ride the engine had shifted, then stock mounts need some help, plus the bottom tube on this frame is an odd shape and they do not conform well. I shaped the front engine mount with a grinder to match the frame contour, then welded tabs to the frame for a more secure mounting.

Made a muffler bracket, slotted holes for adjustment.

The cheap and bad fitting spark plug wire has to go. The boot is a plastic peice and doesn't fir worth a darn, it was screaming "I am going to fail soon". Autozone and Orielly had not universal plug boots or wire kits, so I bought a cheap wire set for 4 cyl car. Has 8mm wire and good boots. Easy as unscrewing the old wire from CDI box and insert new. I shaved the end of the 8mm wire to fit easier.

T0lly

Aug 11, 2009
Sapulpa, OK
I got it back together and tried her out. Feels alot better, tighter.

Problem with carb tho, at idle or low rpm is flooding, bowl is overflowing out of the air cleaner.
Is this something in the bowl? or in the slide?

Last edited:

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
I got it back together and tried her out. Feels alot better, tighter.

Problem with carb tho, at idle or low rpm is flooding, bowl is overflowing out of the air cleaner.
Is this something in the bowl? or in the slide?
It's possible the intake is too long....not enough vacuum at low RPM's for the gas to be vacuumed in.....just a theory.....hope ya figure it out...keep us posted...

Laters,
Salty.shft.

T0lly

Aug 11, 2009
Sapulpa, OK
Finally got it back together, I been tinkering on this bike for day and half.
I tidied up the wiring, tightened everything down, installed new fuel filter. Adjusted the float needle so it wouldn't pour fuel out of the air cleaner.

Here she is ready for the road