Another schwinn Jaguar

GoldenMotor.com

myke

Mar 23, 2009
Chicago
I have about 5 miles on the bike, and I am pleased so far. This has been a fun project and also a fun ride, It's not completely finished and I have room for improvement in several area's but its close enough to start getting some break in time.

myke

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Myke,
Everyone knows I'm a big Jaguar fan and when I see another example as fine as yours its easy to see why. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. It's a sweet, comfy ride and yours looks like it will easily compare with all the others. Love the springer, front hub and the lay-back seat post. Congrats and if you don't mind I'd like to add your Jag to my collage which I'll be updating soon.
Tom

myke

Mar 23, 2009
Chicago
Myke,
Everyone knows I'm a big Jaguar fan and when I see another example as fine as yours its easy to see why. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. It's a sweet, comfy ride and yours looks like it will easily compare with all the others. Love the springer, front hub and the lay-back seat post. Congrats and if you don't mind I'd like to add your Jag to my collage which I'll be updating soon.
Tom
Thanks for the compliments, sure add me in there with the rest. I am also keeping a more detailed record of the experience on my own site, you might find some other photo you like better. I did not want to bore all the users here with the details.

Hit-da-Pipe.com: Forums / Moterized Bicycles

myke

Last edited:

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
Myke,

I just finished a Point Beach and it needs a Laid back seat post. Where did you get yours?? All the ones I've seen are too small. (I have a 1 1/8" or 28.6mm post.)

myke

Mar 23, 2009
Chicago
Myke,

I just finished a Point Beach and it needs a Laid back seat post. Where did you get yours?? All the ones I've seen are too small. (I have a 1 1/8" or 28.6mm post.)
Mine was too small also, so I cut about 4 inches off the original and then cut a slot in it, and used it as a spacer. The smaller ones fit right inside the 4 inch part of the original and tightened up perfectly because of the slot. This moved the seat back quite a bit, but it could go back even more with a custom seat or post, I have yet to come up with a better design.

In addition to this I cut the handlebars off about 3 inches on each end, I think I can cut another 3 inches off if I use a thumb shifter in place of the twist shifter that takes up less room on the right side of the bars.

myke

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mine was too small also, so I cut about 4 inches off the original and then cut a slot in it, and used it as a spacer. The smaller ones fit right inside the 4 inch part of the original and tightened up perfectly because of the slot. This moved the seat back quite a bit, but it could go back even more with a custom seat or post, I have yet to come up with a better design.

In addition to this I cut the handlebars off about 3 inches on each end, I think I can cut another 3 inches off if I use a thumb shifter in place of the twist shifter that takes up less room on the right side of the bars.

myke

Myke, and Capt. Rich,
My Jag had a 1" seat post tapered to 7/8" where the saddle mounts. I used an 18" section of 1" cold rolled bar stock, turned 6" of one end down in a lathe for my seat post. It gives me plenty of lay back and improved the comfort a lot. The Jag is short of leg room and the lay-back post is almost a necessity for anyone over 5" tall. I'm 5"11" and this mod made my Jag a way comfy to ride.
Tom

Attachments

myke

Mar 23, 2009
Chicago
Myke, and Capt. Rich,
My Jag had a 1" seat post tapered to 7/8" where the saddle mounts. I used an 18" section of 1" cold rolled bar stock, turned 6" of one end down in a lathe for my seat post. It gives me plenty of lay back and improved the comfort a lot. The Jag is short of leg room and the lay-back post is almost a necessity for anyone over 5" tall. I'm 5"11" and this mod made my Jag a way comfy to ride.
Tom
Thanks for the idea, I may have to try a piece of 7/8 round stock bent with my home made spacer since I don't have access to a lathe. With any luck the heavy round stock may also dampen some of the vibration.

myke