WOW ! I thought I was on my own...

GoldenMotor.com

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
Will do Greg, one thing I'll add is I could'nt get it running at all on the 18-1 recomended mix, I also by-passed the recomended run in mix of 25-1 and eventually used a 30-1 mix, it still smokes as It runs along so I've decided to run it in at that ! Watch this space :).crt.

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
Haha, well I am chuffed lol, Dan, now that's done I've got to do another little job on it, the coaster brake on the back is a bit of a puzzler to me, yesterday on my first run I had a bit of a kerfuffle (theres another one for ya lol) I stalled it a couple of times by putting on the back brake without intending too ! Now there's two reasons its got to come off , the first being I cant get used to the thing ! And more importantly I intend getting this registed on the road and all brakes need to have a brake light switch fitted an that aint easily gona happen with a coaster brake, is there a thread on here on how to dissable / remove them ?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Dougy.

Found these;

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...587_disable-drum-brakes-coaster-bicycles.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_7903587_disable-drum-brakes-coaster-bicycles.html

I don't enjoy coaster brakes as much as a frreewheeling wheel. Just for taking off at a stop lite or what ever. I just never seem to get the pedals in the right position. Much prefer brakes ready no matter where my feet are. Just a personal preference thing. But went ridding with Ray and he could do amazing things with coasters. Might be I never gave em enough of a chance.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Personally I like coaster brakes and since I don't pedal but rarely, leg position at take off makes no difference since I don't change leg position Another way around the problem is to leave the coaster brake as it is (if you can get used to it) and add a rear rim brake, even just a caliper brake, or better yet a V brake. Then use a brake lever with a built in brake light switch. These levers are reasonable on ebay and are made for electric scooters. This route would give you additional braking power, never a bad thing.
SB

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cool idea SB! Not only would it give extra, uber braking, (I have drum and rim brakes up front and love em) but be way easier then tearing it apart and cheaper then replacing the hub or wheel.

Only down side, IMHO and pet peeve, is the no back pedaling thing but don't think it bothers most folks.

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
I've got rear v brakes on the back allready and fitted a front hydrolic disc brake so braking is defo not a problem, I originally had FOUR brakes on it lol, (front an rear V brakes and the front disc and the coaster brake !)
Dan thanks for them links they will come in real handy.
As I've said in the UK it wont legally be allowed on the road without passing a test called the MOT, and no brake is allowed on a motor vehicle without a brake light.
Some people do use bikes unregisted on the road but the Bizzies (one for you Dan, lol) will catch you an theres a program of actually crushing unregisted vehicles :-0
So its gota go.

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
I WILL NOT BE BEAT !

The latest goings on in my mini saga upto today are.....

The good news, The bike goes great now its on a diet of 30-1 and starts really easy.
The bad news, I had it tested at VOSA for the miserly sum of just £85 (our minestry of transport) and it failed, it only failed on one thing which was the back brakes, (which worked really well I might add and stopped the bike well within the safety standards we have), unfortunatly and unbeknown to me you can only use bicycle brakes on low powerd mopeds (upto 15MPH) and full powerd mopeds (30 MPH- HOLD ON TO YA HATS !) have to be fitted with drum or disc brakes, this has left me with a proper headache as with a sprocket on iether side of the rear spindle fitting a iether type of brake was going to be a real head scratcher, SO, I've just been on the Sick bikes parts page which is advertised on here and bought a shift kit and a bottom bracket conversion kit for £170, these items look really good and will enable me to run on the one chain allowing me to fit a Sturmy Archer combined drum brake an geared hub, and if I'm feeling really fruity I may go the extra mile and buy the one with a built in generator to charge up me battery :)
If anyone knows the guy from sick bike parts ask him to get a move on, I've had them orded ten minutes now and theres still no sign, its only a few thousand miles to here you know ! :)

:-||

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dougy Buddy!! Where the heck ya been?

Bummer about the brake thing. Live an' learn sorta thing. (LOL, I bet that helped, eh?)

But puts you one step closer to "DougyBikes.com A British Original" As seen on top Gear. Where Jeremy Clarkson was heard to say; "Oh bluty 'ell"

(He hates pretty much any thing with less then 4 wheels or under 100K bucks/quid)

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I've been looking at the VOSA sheet, and nowhere does it appear to mention drum or disc brakes, it merely states they have to work efficiently. Does the DVLA requirement differ from VOSA?

If it comes down to it, I'll build a 1kw job if it's that much aggravation. The Conti tyres link is useful though.cvlt1

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
While I think, do you know if the moped specific tyre is needed for Low Power, and indeed, is it actually required for 28mph bike?

I've worked out that a small carb minimoto engine and the 4:1 reduction box will let me gear down 5:1 on a chain to the back wheel, so that's not a big problem, just the nit picking over what brakes, lights, tyres I'm alowed to use.

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
Nice one and thanks for checking it out mate, I missed it myself after reading the book so dont really know if its a new reg or what but he showed me it in the msva manuel, it basicly splits mopeds up into two catagorys which are low or full powerd, he noticed it himself after testing its efficiancy on the rolling road, it states bicycle type brakes are ok for low powerd peds but not for full powerd, there are only a few other types of brakes out there including disc an drum, I can find a banded brake but its no cheaper than the Sturmy Archer drum brakes I've been looking at.
He started going on about rubber block brakes not being able to disapate heat desending a long hill and went on about the likelyhood of them braking up, you cant really argue with that....I did a bit but what can you do, he's probley right on paper even though I've never seen any burnt out blocks. Like I said at the start thanks for checking it out

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
While I think, do you know if the moped specific tyre is needed for Low Power, and indeed, is it actually required for 28mph bike?

I've worked out that a small carb minimoto engine and the 4:1 reduction box will let me gear down 5:1 on a chain to the back wheel, so that's not a big problem, just the nit picking over what brakes, lights, tyres I'm alowed to use.
As far as I know you cant use bicycle tyres, they have to be speed an load rated, they where the first thing he checked and he did state he would have failed it before the test started if they where bicycle tyres.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Right, that's a pair of Contis to buy and a restrictor if the carb lets the engine breathe too well. What do you use for a speedo? I'm not keen on using a digital, I rather like the "old fashioned" look of a proper dial type.

Last edited: