CDI Sparkplug Cable Question

GoldenMotor.com

Rambler

Jul 25, 2009
U.S.A.
My sparkplug cable just fell off in my hands, is there a way to jerry rig the cable so my bike will run until my new cdi comes in?

Would a brass screw work, what will happen if i use copper wire and a steel nail together, will that hurt the electrical system more? or should I stick with like types of metal, how about brass and copper, one of those 2 sided screws for wood?

Any ideas would be helpful.

The cable broke at the base of the cdI so i have no play room and there is a half inch of wire sticking out the butt of the cable that fell off.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The plug wire simply screws into the CDI. Some of the later ones are glued in but with a little effort you can dig around the glue/epoxy/whatever the suff is and get the wire out. You'll see what looks like the end of a sheetmetal screw poking out of the CDI. That's what threads into the core of the wire to make electrical contact.

If your wire is long enough you can cut off about 1/4 to 3/8" of the wire and screw it back in. If you need a new wire look for wire with a metallic core, copper is best, and replace the plug boot with a good automotive quality part.

Good luck.
Tom