Oil tank / tool kit and head light brackets from wood

GoldenMotor.com

skrew37

Feb 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hey, I had an idea for a project to build a behind the seatpost box for my homemade cdi out of wood. I had 1 piece left over so i made headlight brackets for my chopper-style forks. Here's some info:

First I went and bought this:
Loew-Cornell 2-3/4''x7-1/4'' Wood Slats - 6PK*: unfinished wood*: wood crafts*: crafts*: Shop | Joann.com

I use a 3D design program daily for my job and in my "spare" time created a 3D rendering of the oil tank/ toolkit and made patterns, cut them out and developed a mock up of the item. I had to create a notch of sorts to clear my rear brake calipers, and it does so perfectly. At home, I then glued the patterns to and cut them out of the 3/16" plywood craft boards with a utility knife. (just keep scoring until you get through) I glued and nailed it together, then puttied, sanded and painted it to match my bike. I'm having white vinyl decals cut in a co-worker's "spare" time to complete the look. To attach it to the seat tube, I used the bracket and the long bolts from my old crappy cdi to secure the box to my seatpost. Now I just need to re-route the wires from the engine and the spark plug wire and drill, mount, and rewire my kill switch toggle switch...

Next, I noticed that I had 1 piece of this craft wood left and no ideas what to do with it. My brother was going to cut headlight brackets for me from aluminum that I had designed and sent to him via PDF file. He apparently doesn't have as much "spare" time at work as I did. In waiting for him to deliver, I decided that my brackets should be shorter so I redesigned them, made patterns, and took them home and found that they both fit perfectly on the last piece of wood. I cut them out, sanded them and mounted them using 4 - 1" conduit hangers (painted black). Perfect fit and looks awesome. -Until I hit that first big bump and they break, but until then, they'll look awesome)...

I can provide plans if anyone is interested. Then you can decide what material to use. I don't have a welder, so sheet metal was out of the question. Plus this entire project with all the mounting hardware was around $5. Not bad, plus a definite upgrade in appearance. I have pics of everything finally mounted after tonight, but in the meantime, here are the items themselves...

Attachments

skrew37

Feb 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
In regards to the brackets, I still need to fill in the chips caused from drilling the holes. And I'm not sure if i want to paint them or not... thoughts?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Thoughts? Well, let us know how well they hold up in the long run.
I like the idea and wood has/ was used quite extensively in automobile manufacturing waaaay back in the early days.
Perhaps they will hold up? Make darn sure that they are completely waterproof!

skrew37

Feb 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Thanks. I never ride in the rain, partially due to exposed wiring. Hopefully this will seal everything up so I could, if I had to. I'll soak everything with Thompson's water seal and hope for the best.