hey from ithaca ny help please:)

GoldenMotor.com

deathmonkeypoo

Jan 29, 2011
ithaca ny
Hey I just moved to ithaca ny from florida and ever thing is really close up here so to save gas and have a little fun I built my first bike. It was is husky bike gram and the deamon bikes 49cc 2 stroke motor kit just bc it was cheap at only 130$ with free shiping and im poor that maybe be why its not working any more afther riding it to work and back and loving it it stop half way from work. I replaced the plug and boot and it got me to work but It would keep on dying on me and I had to play with the choke alot and could only give it half gas or it would die to. I thoght it was my fuel line being or gas tank being pouted up or something bc i looked at the fuel line and it was empty so I've been looking around here and some one said some thing about there being a vacuum in the tank so im going to try and remove the gas lid and run it like that after work but if any one else could think of any thing please give a noon some advice.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy DeathMonkey, welcome. No worries about grammar. Your amongst friends. I am terrible with DXing problems stated in text so will hold my advice but some amazing folks here and you will get a ton of suggestions and thoughts. Fuel starvation sounds like a good first thing to check. Also, some times the floats stick. I check the easy stuff first. Fuel, air, spark.

Post pics if ya can.

Ya picked a helova yr to move from Fla to the North East, lol. We got so much snow, I lost my dog in the back yard. Try as I may, just can't push Carol out the door to look for her. That woman has some grip and she screams really loud.

rockabilly dan

Jan 25, 2011
adelaide south australia
i had fuel probs, first of all, motor wasnt secure enough, and the vibrations were causing the fuel to airate, so the bubbles were getting to the carb and it was cuttting out, fixed that, no more probs, but when fuel is low in the tank, tank pressurises and stops fuel flow, and have to run the cap loose to let air in, so the gravity feed works on low fuel, weird i know, wondering if anyone has experienced this,

deathmonkeypoo

Jan 29, 2011
ithaca ny
Yeah it might be my motor is a little loose to just bc I ran it with the normal plug and boot for a week or so with a little less then half a tank just to test it and it worked fine. So I filled it up all the way and then ran it and it started acting up so swithed the boot and plug and it worked a little better but didn't think to tighten ever thing up bc of loosening. Oh yeah um what's a float? I feel like such a noob.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Yeah it might be my motor is a little loose to just bc I ran it with the normal plug and boot for a week or so with a little less then half a tank just to test it and it worked fine. So I filled it up all the way and then ran it and it started acting up so swithed the boot and plug and it worked a little better but didn't think to tighten ever thing up bc of loosening. Oh yeah um what's a float? I feel like such a noob.
Read Norm's tutorial on a carburetor: http://motorbicycling.com/f39/motorized-bicycle-carburetor-install-rebuild-302.html

Shoot, for that matter, read all of Norm's tutorials. You will learn a heck of alot about these little engines.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The float is a metering tool to shut off and turn on fuel flow to the float bowl. Keeping it at a optimum level for the carb jet to pick up fuel and mix it with air when the motor is sucking wind through your air filter etc.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
If you're not getting fuel in line at the carb then see if it is flowing out of the tank. Shut off the petcock and remove the line. Open the petcock. If it doesn't flow then there is junk in the gas tank and it is blocking the fuel from coming out. If it does flow then try changing the fuel filter. Now you should have gas getting from the tank through the filter and to the carb.
SB

deathmonkeypoo

Jan 29, 2011
ithaca ny
I finally got it running after I took off the gas cap to vent and it went around the block great so I thoght I fixed it but in the morning I went to ride it and nothing at all evan when I took off the gas cap so I took apart the carburetor and cleaned it out and I could crank it up with just turning the pedals fast in my living room so im like I fixed it again so a few hours later I rode it 4 miles to work going great the whole way there but when I got off work it went half a mile and died. I just got it home and did the same things with the carb but still nothing. Maybe its bc its a cheap carb and its 20 degrees. Its like it has a mind of its own.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Howdy DeathMonkey, welcome. No worries about grammar. Your amongst friends. I am terrible with DXing problems stated in text so will hold my advice but some amazing folks here and you will get a ton of suggestions and thoughts. Fuel starvation sounds like a good first thing to check. Also, some times the floats stick. I check the easy stuff first. Fuel, air, spark.

Post pics if ya can.

Ya picked a helova yr to move from Fla to the North East, lol. We got so much snow, I lost my dog in the back yard. Try as I may, just can't push Carol out the door to look for her. That woman has some grip and she screams really loud.
in MA we're supposed to have 4 more inches today (tuesday) followed by another 10+ inches on wednesday, lovely weather dont'cha think? of course you already know this because you'll get hit with it a few hours before me :D

as for OP try tuning your air and idle screw in? seems similar to a problem i was having originally with tuning my carb, flybytaco helped me figure it out on mine over msn, i'm sure someone here can help you if need be.

mine would run for short periods then bog out and lose power at varying throttles and at spme points just not start at all. moving faster in idle then WOT ftl xD

good luck.