Rube Goldberg Motorized Bicycle Contest

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Re: Rube Goldberg MB Contest

Idea I meant to post;

Pusher engine suspended below a tow bar connected to a ball hitch above rear bike wheel and axle of push wheel. Lower then the center of gravity. Weight of engine would force it to "self right"

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Just an update, I posted in "Motored" They were incredibly kind and welcoming. Thanks to all the folks who responded!! Really, they were great.

I posted this; (part in "" is just the opening post here)

I proposed a Rube Goldberg MB contest elsewhere to include both forums. An individual contest to be followed by a sort of world series at the end of each. The winners from both forums competing in a friendly, fun manner. The world champs will hold, for one year the not so coveted "Rusty Wrench" Which I will have professorially mounted with a brass plaque. It will have room for more plates with winners nic's or names for the following yrs winners.

The main goal is to enjoy good natured Competition and build really insane MBs and allow any one to contribute and participate.

No expense will be spared! unless it is to expensive.

This is what I posted;

" As the name implies, Rube Goldberg , a contest to build a ridiculously complicated (but safe) MotorBicycle. Where points are awarded for achieving a goal such as braking, gear reduction or propulsion etc, in the most round about and complicated way.

Will be a team contest where the Capt. is the builder and can have up to 5 people on his or her team. The Captain will do the actual building and must be well tooled. (insert joke here) The team members contribute ideas and concepts via internet, phone etc or hopefully live close together. (could represent states or regains) This will allow folks who may not have the tools or funds to participate and give all the chance to make those dumb things that make no sense, but we wanted to any way.

Final day for entry is the first day of spring. The trophy and bragging rights will be held by the winning team until the following winter when they have to defend their title once again, for the first time.

The trophy will be a rock with an oil gauge attached. I have not broached the subject with our host or MotoredBikes.com: Motorized Bicycle Forum - Powered by vBulletin but will ask that a "World Series Rube Goldberg MB be competed for during the summer. Final entry, first day of fall. That trophy will be the Rusty wrench. Also to be held by the winners for one year."

I have asked and been given permission by all parties.

Rules are listed above and open to a vote. If some thing is out side of those, we can make a separate category. Idea being to include any one who would like to. All about the fun and comradery.

Forgive any typos. I am waiting on new glasses.
I am really looking forward to this.

Last edited:

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA

Dan, I'm really looking forward to the way this build-off progresses. As you said, it was well received by the staff at MBc, and I can honestly say that we Moderators over there wholeheartedly endorse this contest. I have several ideas floating around at the moment, such as a rack-mount engine powering a propellor in the front via an overhead belt and pulley system...
laff

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

That sounds cool! Truly "Rubeish" LOL, is now a word as it is right there on the intertube, net thing.

Really like that. The look of belts and pulleys. Over head and with a prop!!! classic and Rube-esk.

Again, and I really want to say thank you for the warm welcome you and all gave to this.

With that set up, you should wear the proper safety equipment;
Soviet Russian Army Pilot Flight Leather Helmet Biker - eBay (item 130459095226 end time Dec-01-10 12:17:55 PST)

furament

May 31, 2009
ontaro

does 4 weels still count as bike?? in sovieat russa i still wont get girls:( and am i a bad persion if i need that helmut???

Tom Bartlett

Jul 13, 2008
North Alabama

Great idea!
Way back when we were building Zipcycles the fellows built a propeller driven bicycle that used a 22" model airplale propeller...and it worked pretty well.
I had been entertaining the idea of attempting steam-powered bicycle, and gotten as far as collecting a few brass parts. Maybe this winter would be the time to try to build something.
Tom Bartlett

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Great idea!
Way back when we were building Zipcycles the fellows built a propeller driven bicycle that used a 22" model airplale propeller...and it worked pretty well.
I had been entertaining the idea of attempting steam-powered bicycle, and gotten as far as collecting a few brass parts. Maybe this winter would be the time to try to build something.
Tom Bartlett
That is great Tom! Really, a steam driven MB is the great ( literally & figuratively) GrandFather of MBs. It, "steam powered" was suggested as a category already but no one has said they were considering building one. I am really, really looking forward to seeing them. I had drawn up some pusher plans for one but wouldn't work well.

Just uber cool Tom.

i'll use a standard motorbike but have a rube goldberg starting system, consisting of a parachute a banana and a monkey.
With only one monkey, won't it slip? Even with a Ugandan single phase clutch?

.laff

streetstrip80

Oct 12, 2008
Littleton, CO

Still looking for a team. I think the key is in the accessories. I have some ideas for a kick stand and I have allready started building a bell.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Wow, just wow Fish. BA said it best;

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarelyAWake
This build is w/o a doubt one of the most epic undertakings I've ever seen on this site! You're not "raising the bar" with this 'un, you're creating a whole new category lol, not only are you delving into a radically different method of propulsion unlike anything that's been around for I unno... a hundred years? You're also managing to make it look awesome as well!
My hat is off to you man, I wish you the best of luck "

Really, the most innovative, coolest builds I have ever seen. In this fine company, that is saying more then can be said well."

Hats off to say the very least.

===================

Last edited:

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois

My ideal would be an over head rounded cage over the bicycle with
a stock china-girl 2-stroke set-up. Just to see how many bike rolls
I could do. To bad I do not know how to weld.