Desert Fox : The Tank.

GoldenMotor.com

Deadend

Aug 19, 2009
ca
So as you guys know i picked up an 80cc auto tranny engine for mounting in a bike....

...oohhhh brother here we go again....

Let the games begin. I found 2x beach cruisers @ a garage sale for 30$ for the pair (actually it was 30$ for one of them , but they said : hey if u want a parts bike..... this we'll throw in free - total rust tub )

so i figured headset and springer were salvageable (maybe)

as i said : Serious rust bucket.

I polished up one side pretty quick with a wirebrush and some metal polish - but the nickle chroming was flaking off as you can see here

Deadend

Aug 19, 2009
ca
So i said : **** it, i'm sick of this ****, we're doing this right.....

Enter my old downhill forks ( i originally traded these away for some budget mountain bikes about 9-10months ago, but shortly there after the guy had em listed on CL again for 150$ ( lol) because he couldn't get a through axle kit for them, so i bought em back :) )

but they are 1 1/8" steer tube.... i spent about 3-4 days going to various plumbing, hardware, fencing and the sort stores, trying to find a 1" steer tube (to fit the stretch beach cruiser frame i bought which was enroute from florida ) that would fit in the new 1" threadless headset i got for the build... no luck....

Right when i was about to give up... it hit me : Summ mum a bish ...

Perfect fit. So i remove the steer tube from the rusted springer and it's base clamps in just perfect - im stoked again :D

That night, Mr. Brownie from UPS drops off my baby (look at that ****ing color lololol ):

Last edited by a moderator:

Deadend

Aug 19, 2009
ca

Next day i do a quick mock up to make sure its all going together - it does,

I find a guy to sand blast it and primer it (light gray and seal the metal ) and i get it back last saturday afternoon. Primer it. Then sunday i put my first coat of paint down.

Monday rolls around (yesterday) and i start prepping for the smaller work :

Paint get shot up

Deadend

Aug 19, 2009
ca
bam she dries and i pull the prep work off her :

I've got some more parts coming in this week including the wheelset - ****'s really coming together, i hope to have her maiden voyage be this sunday - but i have a feeling it might not be until mid next week.

So far, ive been assembling / working on this project since about aug 25th ish - just taking my time compiling the perfect parts list.

**** is going to be so epic once im done dnut

now some whoring :

drn2

more to come once i finish her

Deadend

Aug 19, 2009
ca
i didnt realize this was so boring to everyone? No comments? Cmawn i love criticism - positive or not

Smore!

Heres an update

And some more juice tonight son.

WELCOME TO THE FUTURE!

on these ****s - 45$ ebay baby (god i love this depression) :arsenal

with pedals ( and my first beer in over 2 weeks! )

got my 1" threadless ( check out them cartridge barings son )

meanwhile the body was strung up like the super mutis' were hoisting some gore bags up in Curm's subway

Deadend

Aug 19, 2009
ca
(final clear coat, #9 baby )

whats it do ?

Heres the rolling chasis ( @machinists , note how short my headtube is, thats the application )

and smore`

so yeah. 50$ + shipping - i need a 1" tube with a 1&1/8" 1" step machined asap. the steer tube mentioned above in a prior post isnt going to work out, my dumbass failed to calculate the roughly 2" of stem the triple clamps ate up

enjoy.

the willi

Apr 21, 2009
west covina,ca
dude, its looking good everyone here has made mistakes just like you we all are humans! so keep it up! and remember live long and ride long! thiers another day goes by we ride again! later the willi

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
i don't see any mistakes at all. what are you doing to the motor, do you need a pipe to match the quality of the bike?

Deadend

Aug 19, 2009
ca
really - my steer tube is 2" too short. Exhaust ill worry about after i have 10miles on the engine.

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
really. the steer tube is a minor detail. the whole bike is very original, and very pleasing to the eye. i always like to see people spend some time on the bike, and not just clamping the motor on.

Deadend

Aug 19, 2009
ca
i wish i could agree - i have a ton of bull**** that still needs to be applied, this short pos steer tube is brutal.

Prior to me deciding on the one that has now been deemed too short - i searched all over for an adequate piece of metal to use (even straight lead, i wasnt worried about weight at all )

nothing worked, so this actually has me concerned. :(

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
These builds are always fun to see and read about. Hang in there on the steer tube might get lucky with two pipe sizes where they would sleeve over each other. Then weld them together. Just a though got lucky with seat post that way before.

Deadend

Aug 19, 2009
ca
post me some dimensions, and ill build it and ship it for 30 bucks on tuesday
I appreciate it! but getting the headset and steer tube squared away right literally took like 7hrs today. But **** its done. Im still tweaking ride heights / bar angles - ill get you some number once im done, sorry for the lag.

Like brushing a dog's teef

it was a struggle :rofl: (yes thats me and my dog, brushing her teef :lol: )

so here we are - steer tube and headset finally in place

with some cheese handle bars in place (i got to pedal her around this afternoon, ****s pullin stares already :clap: )

slowly but surely.

Deadend

Aug 19, 2009
ca
OI! rite.

check ye chain widths - to get the chain to fit, i had to use 2 chains i pulled off curbsided bikes i found, not an exactly kosher fit :lol:

but it works for temp applications

Deadend

Aug 19, 2009
ca
oh get some more upper class hillbillery :lol:
Just because im in Santa Barbara, ca. - doesnt mean i dont have the hillbilly know how! Expensive tools? **** that.

how about a 1.17$ nuts n bolts instead of a 50$ + bike mechanic tool ? **** yeah brother (pets his racoon pet)

(a cheapo rig built to pressure seat the barings and races)