Need help finding bikes with 1 1/8 steer tubes

GoldenMotor.com

Geezer

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Please list any steel frame bikes known to have 1 1/8 steering tubes. I recently ordered a pair of springer chopper forks from ChopperUS (still waiting to receive them) and have been looking but a lot of online sources do not provide this info in their discription/specs. I'm looking for steel frames 'cause i'll most likely be raking the front end and don't have access to anyone who can weld alluminum.

Oh, and preferably beach cruisers but list any as long as they are steel...

Thanks in advance Guys

(c)

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
3G bicycles, Sun Bicycles (Revolution CB-26), Firmstrong Urban.

I think all these companies have aluminum bikes too so read description. Sun bicycles offers a geometry sheet along with specification sheet on their website.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Nirve, all of their bikes have 1-1/8" steer tubes.
The Switchblade, steel frame, already comes with a slight rake but with a little ingenuity you could take it out further if the chopper look is what you're after.
Tom

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
oops i thought you meant down tube =P Not head tube sorry...

but sun still may check the specs and geometry sheet on their web site.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Are you talking outside diameter, or headset size? Are you looking threaded or threadless?

Most mountain bikes would take a 1 1/8 HEADSET while a cruiser would use a 1 inch headset-

Most shock forks are usually 1 1/8 steer tubes, but they CAN be found in 1 inch with some looking- I have one on my cruiser frame-
The other consideration of course is the length of the steer tube and the length of the steer tube on the fork- especially on threaded, this has to match, although a longer fork steer tube can be hacked down if it has enough thread.

Geezer

May 2, 2011
Illinois
thanks for the great input so far, all

To clarify... I ordered a long tripple tree springer fork that fits 1 1/8 head sets... so, yes I'm definately going for the chopper look :)

Another thought i had is to just replace the whole 1" tube on something seeing as how i will be raking the front end anyway. Kinda got my eye on that 3G venice...

love that nirve chopper frame but i got a feeling this things gonna end up being expensive enough as it is... so far i'm thinking 66cc HT, JackShaft to a 5,6 or 7 speed 24" rear wheel w/3.00 badass slick, 26" front wheel w/disc brake, custom fiberglass tank ...

this bike is only in my minds eye at this point and i'm in no hurry, I'm sure it'll take several months to complete... so keep'm coming

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
I have been using the 3G Isla Vista and the bike is solid! The Venice has a bit more room for motor but I like the Isla so sticking with that but either way the bikes are stylish and solid. I think the bikes I mentioned earlier have the 1 1/8 head tube - 3G being one of them.

I have been in contact with the owner of 3G and they have a bunch of new colors coming in soon. Here is an email I got from him.

Hi Glenn
We are receiving a container on the 26th April of Venice , pucks, and Santa Cruz . On the 2nd of may we have 2 containers of isla vista coming in all colors If you want to place a back order

Best Regards
Gary Silva
So wait just a bit on the Venice if you decide to go that way becasue I saw some of the new color choices and they look really good! They are revamping the web site soon also. But call to get info Friday or so :)