Forks

GoldenMotor.com

ru14real

Jan 7, 2016
warrenville
What forks does everyone here use on thier Gt2 a frames. I cant find anything on the sponsered websites to the left and right. I am guessing that I would have better luck at the local bike shop, however I dont want to spend a thousand dollars on one. I have thought about the monarch springer, but I am not sure about the suspension. Maybe its just for looks. Any ideas or thoughts on an alternitive?

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
I've used the monarch 2 fork on a gt 2 frame. Not impressed as the bearings and head set they claim fits it still didn't work without more parts that I took off a junker .huffy. So I had to use headsets from the gt2a. The monarch ones and huffy ones to get it to work. Kind of sad that there seems to be no answer to a fork that is plug and play for these frames. One member recently used copper pipe to get their fork to fit using a 1 inch dia. I used a 11/8inch and it still had slop in it.
The springs on the monarch are stiff and I can't get them to budge but haven't played with it to see if it can be adjusted.
What I would do is get any straight springer fork you feel fits the bill with specs for 11/8 thread less steer tube and have a bike shop install it. They will no doubt be able to sort it out. Att: Vendors
Plug and play fork that works for the gt2a, you would sell way more frames if a fork that fits was included and installed. Or listed for the gt2a that actually had all the headset components needed

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Another wide shot and my new yellow frame I will be putting a full chrome fork on that is on its way but do not know either how to fit it.

Attachments

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Here is the authentic grubee frame ill try a different brand fork on , I'll post build Picts once I get going on it.

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Heres a fork that fit my frame perfectly. I believe it was made for it. I bought the frame from Kings I think and the fork from Gas Bike, one in the same I believe. The frame came complete with the head set.

Notice the springer is different than most other of this type in the upper
stem attachment and the axle attaches to the front tube and not a rocker.

This is the same fork on KCs build here. http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.php?p=628304&postcount=2

Attachments

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
I'll check it out on gas bikes web site also, be nice to find a fork that is plug and play. Sure looks nice . I like the double curved top on this fork. Again it's not really the fork it's the head set parts they give you that adapt it to the GT frame head tube. Thanks for the tip!

sissytrikerider

Jun 25, 2011
buffalo
The thread for the 1 in monarch forks to gt2a frame is one below this one i believe . I used 1 in copper and couplings. There is no slack in this when done right. The only thing that might happen is possibaly the copper might wear because its softer then steel. Sort of like an oilite bushing which is bronze . But its what you want to wear and simpily replace. Now i dont have any mileage on this bike so i will update how it holds up after some time.

What ive learned is the headset on the gt2as frames is whats called a "zero stack" and takes 1 1/8 bearings. There are a few versions but not what is needed to use a 1in threaded steartube in these frames
http://www.canecreek.com/tech-center/headsets/shis/overview

So any forks set up for this type of headset should work. I remember reading when i bought my frame two years ago they were saying this frame uses "standard mountain bike " parts. So i would assume any suspension fork from a newer mountain bike should work, but dont blame me when they dont, just passing on what i read. I do know a lot of mountain bike frames now use a threadless stear tube fork. So there is a version of the monarch whice uses the threadless set up and that is what kc used recently on his build with out an issue.
Hope that helps lol , i like you searched and searched , even hit the local shop and he even seem a little confused as to what i had .

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
You'll be told that you have to use threadless forks. It's not true. Whatever 1-1/8" fork you get, use the head set and it will work. I used a threaded set from a Schwinn mountain bike. It's an SR suntour suspension fork. I had to extend it by 20mm so I cut a section out and welded in a chunk of 1" head tube. Worked great!

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
I am wondering if the last monarch 2 fork I received was a 1 incher... instead of what I ordered a 1 1/8th ? ...hmmm I do not remembering measuring it and I had to use 1 inch stuff to get it to work. I have a (supposed) 1"1/8th threadless chrome fork coming for my new GT 2A. I'll be measuring it this time for sure...newbies on bikes like me get confused on this stuff so thanks for the heads up and info (no pun)
We would still love to here more Gt2 A fork and headset stories and what worked, it will help lots of people.

Last edited:

ru14real

Jan 7, 2016
warrenville
someone please help me understand why the monarch springers are so popular for these bikes? They can be adjusted but its a big PITA. They look nice but I think that these forks might be better. I just cant deside on which ones I want.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...oliid=I1Z4G3YTIH62OJ&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl or these

http://www.amazon.com/RockShox-Susp...F8&qid=1454334392&sr=1-1&keywords=rockshox+26

I notices that they are both quick release forks. How difficult would it be to convert them to bolt on axles?

sissytrikerider

Jun 25, 2011
buffalo
Honestly i was trying to think why i decided to use the monarch fork and i really dont have a why other then the nastalgic look i guess . Their available almost everywhere also. I would susspect theres more of the modern knock offs out there now then orginals.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Looks and a bit of suspension are important to me. Be nice if a better fork was made that has a bit more suspension and looked vintage. I am not sure if I would trust this fork below on a motorized bike...some do, they look so flimsy to me. But I could be wrong. I may buy one and see if its worthy at all...
Opinions...

Attachments

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
The alternative is to find a vintage suspension fork for a nostalgic build. Generally they are no more expensive than a new Monarch style.

I used a bee hive springer on this build from and old JC Higgins. It did required a mod to fit the neck on the Hawthorne frame. Its very stoutly made looks cool and rides like a Lexus.

STRs copper tube mod will allow the older 1" springers to be used on a later frame like the GT2. Its all in what you want the bike too look like.

I have used the newer front ends on several builds and they work well and are pretty reasonable. If nostalgia is the theme of the bike these forks totally eradicate the look.

http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.php?p=587015&postcount=163

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Since your head tube is for 1.125" the sky's the limit to the forks you can buy. Your best bet for the price range you seek (Monarks start at what.. $130?) would be a used or new hydraulic-damped MTB fork.

Damping action is a big deal with forks. With undamped springers you may get a pogo stick effect, especially during hard braking on rough asphalt and this can be somewhat scary.

A slightly more expensive option if you really want a cool modern springer, is a Girven/Noleen girder fork. They pop up on eBay for around $200.. They always pop up for a steal when I don't have money..

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Also for a really nice fork some of the early Japanese M/Cs used a 1" head tube. A fork like the K100 Suzuki was a bolt on for one of my builds. It had nice M/C rubber fork boots and headlight mounting ears. There were many NOS units sold a few years back. I still have an unused one in the attic waiting on the right build. Really a great ride with plenty of travel. Some moped forks work well too.