Worksman wheels supply

GoldenMotor.com

ANTIQUECYCLES

Mar 2, 2012
Inland Empire
I have posted some negative comments toward Worksman on this site and wanted to share some feedback that is only fair.

We all know that Worksman is the number 1 wheel/rim choice for most builds. Many of us rely on them to be there when we we need a set for a build.

Taylar Cycles currently has A LOT of builds but was faced with a problem with Worksman being able to supply the wheels.

I talked trash about them out of frustration but after a couple of reply's from management, I thought it would only be fair to post his response. I learned that the issue wasnt just "my" issue but "our" issue.

Al's response explains what is going on and why there is a delay.

Thanks Al.

"Worksman can no longer supply wheels. I have been waiting on an order I placed 2 months ago.
When I originally ordered them I was told 7 days. Since it had been almost 2 months, I inquired and was told they do not have enough to sell separately. I have ordered from them about 50 times over the past few years. EVERY time it is a nightmare. Always late, excuses, no communication, wrong orders received, spoke pattern changes, etc...)

They are the absolute worst company I have ever dealt with so I am looking for about 12 wheels to finish what I've started then I quit Worksman.

It is tough to fulfill orders for custom builds when relying on an outfit like this. When I give a customer a completion time estimate I prefer to be somewhat accurate.
I cannot count the number of customers I've had to explain Worksman issues to!

Even though it is out of my control it reflects on me."

... will you be posting my response to you? I trust you will, right?

I understand that out status methods (or lack thereof) are not great. Our systems do not send automatic updates to our customers. Status' are all manually provided, and we generally try to keep up with the phone calls coming in looking for status' on bikes and trikes that our website clearly states as taking 4-6 weeks but people start calling after 2 so we try to help them get info.

The wheel issue that we are having now is unprecidented. Our wheel department will get our request for expedited wheels, but there are so many, and again, they get prioritized. With the exception of the last 2-3 months, parts take 7 days and wheels take 10. It's generally always been that, give or take a few hiccups along the way, but in general, that's our lead time.

I am not trying to give you excuses, or make up for an unfortunate situation - I am just telling you the truth. I wish like crazy that manufacturers would start making products here again! Today alone I learned that my front drum brake hub order, which as placed 8 months ago, is now undergoing a third inspection from Customs (the Department of Agriculture for God knows what reason!) at a cost of $2000 to us! It's not-stop, guys. Believe me. I know it must seem like we're working against you, but I assure you we're not. We're very happy to be a part of the motorized bicycle revolution for many customers, but it has taken it's toll on our inventory, as has bicycle demand in general. It's been a busy year.

If I see anything around here that would be satisfactory to send to you, I'll do it. Are you taking our rims and powder-coating them, or using them as chromed?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I concur... Wheels with 12ga spokes are plenty strong enough for any motorized bicycle! (& there are plenty of places to buy them).

Another thing to think about is the fact that the less the wheels weigh, the faster the bike can accelerate! ;)

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I concur... Wheels with 12ga spokes are plenty strong enough for any motorized bicycle! (& there are plenty of places to buy them).

Another thing to think about is the fact that the less the wheels weigh, the faster the bike can accelerate! ;)

Norm is correct, Although Worksman are top of the pile. There are lots of good choices out there in the 12ga spoke size.

ANTIQUECYCLES

Mar 2, 2012
Inland Empire
Thanks for the support guys!

What would be a second choice to Worksman? I see a few out there (like Husky) with the 11/12 gauge spokes but no one has a rim with the strength like Worksman.

Any examples you can recommend?

Thanks again :)

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I realize that Worksman may be the strongest, but there is also a question of how strong of a wheel do you actually need? I do have a Worksman front drum myself, but only because I was able to find it at a rally for $35. My rear wheel is a double-walled steel rim with 12g spokes and a Shimano clone coaster hub. I do not even know what brand it is, but I have had it for 3 years, dragging my 280lb butt over every crack and bump you can imagine. I have rolled over speed bumps with this rim, and it is still as strong as the day I got it. The ebay store that I bought it from is no longer in business, so I cannot provide any links. I suggest searching on ebay, amazon, talking to local shops, and anywhere else that you might find heavy duty rims.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I concer FELT! FELT! FELT! FELT! drop center, wide too! you can get 11Gauge spokes any where Honda, Kawasaki EXC EXC EXC and moped shops as well and a new CO. overseas union cruiser bicycles

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
If I see anything around here that would be satisfactory to send to you, I'll do it. Are you taking our rims and powder-coating them, or using them as chromed?
sounds to me like they might have some that haven't been chromed yet, or scratched/blemish wheels they might let go of.

i bought a set of wheels with unchromed, raw steel rims from them a while ago, with the intention of copper plating them. (never plated them. didn't fit on a '20s bike...)

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I'd like to add that if you don't weigh over 200 lbs. a strong mtn bike rim like a Sun Rhyno Lite professionally laced with 36 14 gauge spokes is plenty strong for a motorized bike. If mtn bikers can launch off 2 or 3 foot drops without breaking them then they can certainly handle a few potholes. I replaced the rear stock rim on my Schwinn Clairmont with a Ryno Lite while reusing the spokes and it is more than strong enough. With a hub mounted sprocket adapter there are zero broken spoke issues. The front wheel has the stock single wall aluminum rim and it's doing just fine. Front wheels don't take as much abuse since most of the weight is on the rear and they aren't dished like most rear wheels. Also, I weigh 180 lbs.