Racing classes for future motorized events……..your opinion counts

GoldenMotor.com

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
There is a lot of talk about racing classes. Morini, electric, China, modified, unlimited, everything from the past and others that we don’t know of or created yet. So this post is my interpretation of how it really needs to work or everyone is wasting their time reading them or posting them.
1. We need to create and organization, a club, that would represent all that want to participate in racing motorized/ electric bicycles.
2. Someone needs to be elected or nominated to head this organization.
3. Others can then be elected or nominated to participate as ‘board’ members.
4. the members make the final decisions on the rules
5. the rules can be changed after discussion

Through this we can really discuss classes, what to call them, restrictions, starting grids, heat laps, what’s legal, what’s illegal. But, the main point here is someone, or somebody’s will make the final decision and all members will have to abide by these rules. Of course this will be a joint effort by all members of this community, but we really need to start somewhere.

Dave has done a great job, and I appreciate it.

I think this is the way to start.
Is there a need, I believe so…..what do you think

strotter

Aug 7, 2008
I definitely think there is a need. I would serve on such board.

My $.02
Start easy. Two classes. Stock and unlimited. Board desides on what "stock" means. Everything else is unlimited.

Samford&Son

Apr 26, 2011
Riverside, Ca
im in. i take part in an offroad club and the organization really helps things along. i think for right now we can help out the organizers of the races by simply making suggestions on this forum and at the events. im all for a board of directors as long as we are all heard. Racing, no matter how fun, takes a lot of behind the scenes work.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
When the time comes, which will prolly be soon as the racing is starting to catch on, I think 2-stroke and 4-stroke classes with an unlimited (outlaw) class just for starters. It seems that electrics wanna compete with the gas bikes and in the unlimited class I don't see a problem with that. However as the electrics grow in numbers at races I feel they should have their own heat race to weed out the field and send top electrics to main unlimited final.

Yes it's gonna take a lot of brainstorming an a panel of race savvy MB enthusiasts to set the standards for the need of several classes to keep the racing fair and fun for all racers. Just my thoughts as a racer and a bicycle madman.

dnut

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
keeping it simple is easy. you can have the basic classes (electric, morini, 2 stroke, 4...) but getting into sub-classes is where it gets tricky.

how do you define "stock?"

is that a two stroke kit straight out of the box, standard size sprocket, no engine work, etc?

with cars, there's dozens of classes based on horsepower, tires, suspension, etc and it gets confusing, and can also put your car into a class where you'll get smoked on the track.

as an example, my race bike has the stock NT carb and the stock exhaust pipe, but the barrel's reversed and a few other tricks, and it ran laps around all but one of the 2 strokes at the death race, against shift kits, pipes, carbs, etc...

if a guy bolts on a pipe and gets bumped up to "modified," he's not gonna stand a chance against someone that knows how to tweak a motor correctly.

(this is all based on power and speed of the bike, not rider skill. i've seen plenty of guys drive stock dodge neons around a track faster than unskilled guys in corvettes.)

one of the best things autocrossing had going for it was the "novice" class. it basically meant that if you have no experience, you race what you got, be it a datsun 510 or a renault turbo 5, until you place top 3, then you get put into a class. this gave you track time, and experience, and also bragging rights when you beat that 70K NSX with your 1975 Civic.

i know i'm talkin' cars a lot here, but it all relates to racing.

in another thread, there was talk of having a standardized system, with the same brand tires, and other standard parts to eliminate "advantages," and i'm totally against that. that just stifles the creativity and advancement of it all. this ain't never gonna be like Nascar.

another possibility could be like BMX racing, where you'd have beginner, novice, and expert classes. that way you're able to race against people at the same level as you.

all of this obviously depends on how popular racing becomes and having many, many more people racing.

now, at the "birth" of motorized bike racing, (apologies to the earlier Death Races, but now it's getting more serious) it's easy enough to leep it simple.

you can have all the basic classes, with a final race of the top finishers to pit their motors against other kinds, and see who's skills come out ahead. that way the electrics can go against the gassers, the chinas against the morinis, the weedwackers against the lawnmowers, etc... in BMX it was called a "trophy dash."

i think another great option would be an "open" class. run whatever you got. you can still run in your regular class, and run against the bikes you wanna beat. it's kinda like the trophy dash, but anyone can get in on it (within reason, based on speed and experience, not just to get more track time and get in everyone's way.)

i'll come up with some more ideas after i get some sleep...

dan+1

Mar 5, 2011
Texas
A form of ET Qualify racing would work.

1 mile track is the base line to figure class of bike.

Group A Unlimited. You think you got what it takes to win.
1:00 minute a mile, that is an average speed of 60 MPH

Group B Factory modified. You have modifications made that or advanced. Able to run a mile in say 1:30 seconds like 40 miles an hour.

Group C Stocker. You have put together a steady ride dependable but not a screamer. 2:24 minute mile. That is a 25 mile an hour average.

Group D Novice. Qualifier running on a known distance to see where you average. The track a flat known distance course. Once your bike runs three novice class races you can enter in the appropriate group. Novice races should be flat track oval or strait runs against the clock.

Group P. Poker run folks that just want to get out and run laps with other folks. This is just a track time fun run.

Now corners, hills, rider skill and all that will play heck on the race but a person can basically have a reasonable expectation of even match.

Throw a twist in horse racing anybody in the race can buy the winning horse for $100. In stock car racing they do that sometimes putting the winning engine on the block for $500.

So we could do it like this. Class riders may challenge the winner with an
Engine buy ( Group B and C competing riders in that class may challenge the winning entry and trade engines with a cash kicker. The risk of losing a build will keep people honest. If a rider choices to not honor a challenge he will be banned from all future races and considered a cheater.

Group A exempt This is the unlimited class and is a free for all builders group.
Group B $200 & trade
Group C $100 & trade
Group D exempt Novice and new bikes.

As for as power supplies engines etc, I say race to your potential speed class and challenge yourself or sit on the porch.

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
I think the Willow race on June 18 has the right idea of 4 classes:

1. Electric
2. 4 stroke
3. China 2 stroke
4. Unlimited gas
and the 'Ultimate Race', I like 'Trophy Dash'

When starting to talk about qualification heats, timed heats it starts to get really involved, and pencil and paper might not cut it, let alone someone or somebodies to do it.

Again, the Willow race is a step into the right direction with the 4 classes. After the race or during, steps could be discussed to unify racing in this community.

Basically this is it, If I race anywhere on this globe with my MB I want to be able to race in the same class, with one Bike.

Last edited:

rat racer

Apr 20, 2011
florence,az
motorized bicycling has been an outlaw sort of sport since the start
I think we need to organize HOWEVER keep it fun Look at the ama or ahrma
motorcycle racing rules and regs.safety is another issue as bikes are getting
upgraded with more and more hp. I have had junk fly off my bike that hit another racer.safe and fun if that means seprate classes I'm down for that

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Thanks a lot magrider for coming forward to lay out the races, heats,
track time and schedule for the Sat June 18th Willow Springs race.

I appreciate your experience with starting grid options.
magrider and I have decided to do a Supercross style line up.

I have tried to talk to as many of you that would respond to get
a general feeling for what everyone wanted to do.

Going to keep it fun and only have simple rules for the first event.

Serious racers will be required to help out with the scoring, corner
working and flagging, etc when they are not racing.
Riders who just want to cruise the track can help out but are not
required to.

There is limited track time and the event is not only about the
hard core racers. For motorized bicycle racing to be successful
All of the motor bike community needs to be included and
catered to.
I have another great announcement in the race thread soon.

There are many viewpoints and riders that want their particular
interests served so I will be the final decision maker on these matters.

All input is welcomed and this statement will probably be revised.
Thanks
I feel that is way too early to start making too many rules or classes.

Entry fees are $25 if prepaid
and $29 for those that pay on Saturday.

Spectators are $10

I think the Willow race on June 18 has the right idea of 4 classes:

1st Heats & Race. Electric
2nd Heats & Race. 4 stroke
3rd Heats & Race. China 2 stroke [ broken into 2 groups due to number of riders. ]
4th Heats & Race. Unlimited gas which will include electric if less than 10 ebikes show.

The fastest 8 or 9 from the 4 classes will advance to
the 'Ultimate Race', I like 'Trophy Dash'

When starting to talk about qualification heats, timed heats it starts to get really involved, and pencil and paper might not cut it, let alone someone or somebodies to do it.

Again, the Willow race is a step into the right direction with the 4 classes. After the race or during, steps could be discussed to unify racing in this community.

Basically this is it, If I race anywhere on this globe with my MB I want to be able to race in the same class, with one Bike.

Last edited: