So you want to go 50mph on a cheap bike? WHEEL WARNING!

GoldenMotor.com

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
I feel somewhat validated concerning my earlier statements on the cheap bike subject....
Glad you survived the failure LDS...

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I feel somewhat validated concerning my earlier statements on the cheap bike subject....
Glad you survived the failure LDS...
Failure just sounded like a click each time the wheel rotated around and got significantly worse on the last test ride (had some unrelated repairs) Just glad I caught it before something else bad happened!

Scooter58

Aug 21, 2015
Planet Earth
Hi All,

Newbie here and have been lurking for the past few days to gather all the great info on this site. I'm in the process of building my first motobike and have some questions relating to this thread.

I purchased a Micargi Touch beach cruiser from Amazon and a china girl engine 66cc. I'm reading some of these horror stories and I'm concerned about the brakes and rear hub. Should I change the rear hub and coaster brake? If so where do I get them? Or should I change the rear hub and go for better brakes? Like I say, I'm new to this and value the opinion of the"experts" on this site that have a lot more experience than I do.

Thanks
Scooter58

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
I purchased a Huffy Cruiser from Walmart.

There was a random piece of metal in the rear coaster, it was causing it to make a noise while the bike was rolling and pedals were stationary. We took it apart, found the piece of metal (no 'spot' to be found of where it may have come from, our guess it that it is some excess mistake) regreased the hub, now it rides a lot smoother. We're going to tear apart the bottom bracket as well and regrease that. The headset also needed more grease. It seems there is a smidgen from factory. I'm starting to regret passing up an old 1959 cruiser in favor of this 'new' bike that had an extra tube where I can lay a custom tank.

If anything a new set of wheels and it'll be fine. The welds on the bike look good...just the wheels feel flimsy.

I don't know if this it the best place to ask, but if I were to get a new wheelset, where would be a good place to look?

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
probably ebay. they have good buyer protection and you could probably find about as good a deal as any where else.

Greenbiker

Feb 12, 2016
Oklahoma
Ive been 45 on a bike, no motor. No im not lying, and no i dont care if anyome believes me. I was young, dumb and riding on a state highway early in the morning, long down hill grade pedalling for all i was worth, in the fastest gear, with a tail wind. I couldnt even see the speedo until i got it home in the light to see the highest speed saved. I will tell you this, it was scarry and fun. And loud. Very loud. I can tell you that i realized i was going too fast because it FELT wrong, it was just too much for that bikes equipment. Even with moderate upgrades a bike should only be taken so far, after that, you are building a small displacement motorcycle for all intents and purposes. Even if its still technically a bike, physics is physics. Agreeing with the OP, its definitely not something that should be done with a cheap bike, frame, wheels, hubs or spokes, or brakes. Speed is all good and fine, but if you do it wrong, bad sthings can happen.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
wow that's fast. I got my point beach cruiser up to 30mph with no motor. It felt good and handled it fine. I never could get it any faster than that.

Greenbiker

Feb 12, 2016
Oklahoma
I guess i was superman back then, i was not drafting and i was on a mountain bike with hybrid tires. Seriously, i could have been killed though, i would never try such a thing now even if i could, knowing the crap that is on the road, one nail, or screw or other tube popper in the right place and i would have been a schmeer on the shoulder, it was like 430 am, there was almost no one else out on that lonely stretch, which was why i chose it. Nice video thoigh, got that old feeling back for a moment.