Walmart tire critique

GoldenMotor.com

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
Have been riding 1970's Schwinn 10-speeds forever; motorized ones since 2008. A few years ago I decided to replace the 27 inch rear wheel with 700c, mostly because 27" tires come only in one width (don't argue), have thin tread, and aren't held true by the lipless original steel rims.

So I built up some wheels on the original hubs and bought half a dozen different 700c tires online (mostly from niagaracycle). You can't beat the internet for selection and price, but I hate not seeing and feeling the tires I'm buying. You can't tell tread thickness and rubber hardness by looking at images.

My previous experience with Bell (Walmart) 27" tires was mixed. The quality seemed good and consistent. Most were the "tread alert" type with a green patch that would turn red when the tread wore down. Silly system, but the colored patch didn't affect the tire negatively. You could ride those tires way past the red, almost until the nylon threads were exposed (like tires in the old days). But the rubber was soft and thin for a friction-drive MB.

After switching to 700c, I saw that walmart had Bell road bike tires in my size. At 20 bucks, they are about double the price of my online choices. The craziest thing was the tire width. Search the entire box and all that's shown is 32-45; "will replace sizes 32c - 45c". That's nice. You need to tighten a nut? What size wrench is that? Somewhere between 8 and 11 millimeters.

I tear open the box to check the sidewall for size, but the tire is all folded and rolled up with a plastic zip-tie around it. After hacking through the tie, and feeling like a criminal, I can see on the sidewall that the tire width is 35. Narrower than I wanted. Stuff it back in the poor, tattered package for the next poor, tattered walmart customer.

The batch of tires I bought online was also a mixed bag. Two of the tires from Niagaracycle I would buy again.

VEE Rubber Vrb159 Urban product # 819080. The rubber was hard and lasted long.

Kenda/Sunlite Hybrid K847 Kross Plus Tire product # 8040. It has useless nobbies on the sides, but the tread in the center is nice and thick. Since it is made by Kenda, the belts will most certainly go bad before the rubber tread wears thin.

But I found a way to buy one of those Bell/Walmart tires for 15 instead of 20 dollars, so I got one. On the rim, it is about the exact same width (about 34mm) as a 27 x 1 1/4 tire. It has a reverse-tread pattern; thick rubber with grooves cut in. Good for a friction drive roller. The pic might look blurry if you aren't drunk.

It might be about 6 months until I can say how long the tire lasts. Winter sucks.

Attachments

Last edited:

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
I see that tread, looks like it can channel water pretty well.
I was about to post a question about steel rims when I came across your post, are they fine for our builds? I believe later I would like to purchase double wall Alum. but figured i'd get some mileage out of the stock ones first. mags would be simplistic (trueing and all until they bent beyond repair) to a point but I like spokes better.
my bike came with the 26x3.0 tires and the tread design seems fine. besides max pressure and wheel size on tire it says Nylon WD made in China.
does WD ring a bell to you? the letters have like bold raised tire tread pattern to make up the letters WD.

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
Your steel rims are probably fine. I would actually prefer the old steel Schwinn 10-speed rims over aluminum. Steel has a nice chrome plating and is strong. Schwinn rims are extra strong because they are built like double-wall steel. But they are not built very true roundness-wise. And there is no lip to guide and hold the tire bead, so the tire seats where it wants, not where you want.
I've had other steel rims with a lip that holds a tire nicely.

I wouldn't get rid of an old part without a good reason.

Can't say I know what the WD on your tire is; maybe the brand itself?

I like spokes. Never had a mag-style wheel. Even my late 70's BMX bike had huge, thick spokes. My friends bikes had nylon "tuff wheels".

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
yes and thanx.
the Schwinn I have is new and rims are not too true, I am working on that.
had a Panda with moto-mags heavy as all could be.
just wish I had my Lemon Peeler back(that's another story).
never thought I'd get back into bicycles (motor or not, into such depth),
always rode them until you had to fix what gave you trouble.