maxxis tire fitting

GoldenMotor.com

soberguy

Jan 14, 2015
reading,pa
what or how can i move my 66cc motor to the left to allow more room for chain so i can fit the maxxis brand 2.5 tires.the rear sprocket is no trouble shimming or flipping but then chain is not perpendicular to the parallel.LOL! I have the front adapter for larger down tubes which i can redill to adjust. But the rear motor mount is alot trickier.Any help will be great so i can look kool with fat maxxis tires too. Ill probably have to buy a gas frame!SKYHAWK

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
It really depends on the frame. You may have to offset the motor from the frame using some sort of custom mounts to get the extra necessary distance. When I went to 2.4" tires on my cranbrook I went to a hub adapter and was able to get a slight amount extra clearance from that allowing me to fit the tires. Pictures would probably help others decide what would be best for your instance.

soberguy

Jan 14, 2015
reading,pa
It really depends on the frame. You may have to offset the motor from the frame using some sort of custom mounts to get the extra necessary distance. When I went to 2.4" tires on my cranbrook I went to a hub adapter and was able to get a slight amount extra clearance from that allowing me to fit the tires. Pictures would probably help others decide what would be best for your instance.
I know I need custom mounts. I was asking for suggestions on how to do it

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I know I need custom mounts. I was asking for suggestions on how to do it
I was trying to say there might be other possibilities then offset motor. Custom mounts are just that custom. Get some thick sheet metal and bend it to what offset you need. Some people have gotten away with modifying the stock mount by grinding it out to get a little more offset.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Or use washers between the sprocket and hub to help with the off set. Just make sure you use the same size/thickness washers and use longer allens.

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
I had this problem with my 2.35". I'm on a elctra townie fram, 2" front down tube and custom mounts with back mount about 4" long. I ran a 1.95 nobby mtb tire when a more experienced builder told me 2.35 was too wide. but one day I was curious and tried it, with some fiddling I was able to make it work. no extra parts or pieces. I loosened all 3 mount points and "jostled" the engine around until I found a clear path, and slowing went over the 3 points tightening a little at a time. to be honest i didnt think I could make it work, never mind so easily. looking straight down from above you can see the engine is over to that side a 1/4" or less at the top of the head. I have no vibration issues and she is running well. I also got rid of my tensioner using shims at the rear engine:mount point.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You'll need to first know how much off-set you'll need to get the chain to clear the tire. That will determine the design of an off-set engine mount. I have two bikes with 3" rear tires and to get a minimum of 1/4" chain to tire clearance I needed to move the engine 9/16" to the left.

I fabricated my mounts from 1/4" wall 'C' channel welded to the seat tube and that required a custom front mount as well.
You'll need to start by mounting the rear sprocket as far to the left as you can get it then using a straightedge against the rear sprocket and the engine drive sprocket you can see how much off-set is required.

Tom