blown light, voltage regulator?

GoldenMotor.com

laneryan

Sep 4, 2014
ca
I have a 6v wonderful creations generator going straight to a 6.3v incandescent tail light. It ran fine for about a week and then blew.

I don't want to charge a battery pack and I don't want LED's.

Can somebody help me out with making a voltage regulator so that I don't blow anymore light bulbs? Do I just need a zener diode? I know a little bit about electronics but not much about setting something like this up. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I suspect your bulb failure might be due to road shock and vibration more than a voltage condition. I replace tail light lamps quite frequently on one of my bikes and they are twelve volt lamps powered by a twelve volt battery. They seem to fail after a particularly bumpy ride.

If you own or have access to a good volt meter it would be easy to check the actual output from the generator. Check it from idle to wide open throttle (WOT) to make sure it isn't exceeding the advertised voltage.

Tom

Last edited:

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
Wonderful Creations recommends that you run the charger through a battery and then to your lights.
Prevents voltage spikes, no lighting with engine off, etc.
I run a small 6 v enercell 4.5 amp battery in a camera bag wire tied behind the seat post.
I run 2 - 6 v Sanyo head lights , an LED tail light , brake light turn sigs and horn.
Haven't had an issue yet other than the first charger I received was bad.
Works great.....