New engine trouble.

GoldenMotor.com

stuffandstuff

Oct 11, 2010
Asheville
This my second build and I know not too use 16:1 but it work for my last build so I tried it with this one...
Here's the problem so far, maybe it because it's 30degrees out where I am but my motor does start and will idle for five minutes and then cut off. I start it back up and take for a test run for a half a mile then on the way back it runs and then... Putt putt shuts off, can't resart until I choke it and unchoke it andthen some times it will restart , then will cut off 2 minutes later.
I checked the fuel line and it's getting fuel, the choke is working good, not sure what it is....
Could it be the fact that I'm breaking it in in cold weather? How do you check for spark plug gap? Any help would be appreciated and would be glad to give more detail to the person who willing to help. Thanks guys!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The next time it starts to sputter, loosen the gas cap. I bet your cap is not venting properly.
Cold weather will affect how easily the engine starts but should not cause the engine to stall.
As for checking the spark plug gap, use a spark plug gapping tool, sold at most auto parts stores.

heyscuba

Jan 19, 2011
st. louis, missouri
2 stroke engine problem,...
(sorry to piggy back on this thread, but I still can not start a thread for some reason)

My brother (a true dumb ass) ran my 2 stroke snow blower I had at my Mom's house with regular gas
(he "grabbed the wrong can" not the one marked "MIXED FUEL FOR SNOW BLOWER")
when he started having trouble with it running bad and not being able to start it with out the electric starter (it used to pull start real easy) he called me, after some phone interrogating we figured it out, I told him to,
1st, to KICK HIS OWN ASS so I won't have to and then bring me the thing without touching it again,...
I can get it started with the electric, it does run and idle,... but it doesn't sound like it used to and it won't pull start,....
any thoughts on how bad it's damaged or what happened in there,...?
or what if anything I can do,...?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Extreme accelerated wear is what happened to the poor snow blower engine.
It is toast.
As a band-aid effort for the remainder of the winter, I can only suggest running the proper fuel as you all ready know, and get it re-ringed with possibly a new piston ASAP. If you are lucky the cylinder hasn't been FUBAR'd too.
The crank and connecting rod bearings should be ok, but don't expect them to last as long as they would have before.

Your brother owes you a brand new engine.