Clutch has no resistance

GoldenMotor.com

J.Shiver

Jan 31, 2011
Florida
I put my bike together over the weekend and went for my maiden voyage around my parking lot. It started right up and was humming right along. After about 3 minutes the drive chain locked up inside of the gear housing and put me to a dead stop. I took it all apart and figured out that the chain tensioner was a bit off and needed to be bent in some to line up correctly.

After getting it all back together my clutch lever on the engine now has no resistance at all and the clutch don't disengage. I can freely move the lever in with my hands with no force at all which wasn't an issue before.

Any advice? Did I misplace a part when putting it back together?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There is a steel pin and a ball bearing that go into the hole in the drive sprocket. Missing either will cause the condition you describe. The bearing goes in first followed by the pin. You need to lubricate those parts with a good heavy grease before asembly as well as the clutch actuator cam inside the housing. Good luck. Let us know what you find.
Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The diameter isn't too critical but it needs to be about 5/16". You might try a hardware store or an industrial supply like Grainger, Tractor Supply, etc.
Look around where you disassembled it first. You might get lucky and find the one you lost.
Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
5/16 steel slingshot ammo worked like a charm and at 4.99 for 72 I will never run out.
Thanks for letting us know and congratulations on a good fix.
That sling shot ammo might not be as hard as a ball bearing so you might see some premature wear. I'm not sure about that; I've never examined sling shots balls. :) At least you're on the road until you find a bearing.
Did you lubricate those parts?
Tom