what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

mrfubs

Jun 13, 2013
michigan
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I installed my new front wheel with new 203mm rotor on my La jolla. Hydraulic brakes coming in mail. Debating on tig welding caliper mounting tabs or buying a RST suspension fork.

rsz_2013-08-03_14-37-36_623.jpg

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008

Put a briefcase-style saddlebag on the China Girl with intention of carrying survival fuel in it.. Darned if I didn't run out of gas 'way into the road to Dewey OK. after having neglected to do it. Needed the exercize anyhow I guess. Just trying to get some air after a dismal failure of the Sturmey Archer 3-speed on the 6-1/2 HP Monarch. Think I will do the Shimano tranny to replace the S-A. I gave up trying to cut wet grass too. The weeds are 18" in places and the Lawnbooy is overmatched. Anyone got an extra sythe?:-||

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

Put a briefcase-style saddlebag on the China Girl with intention of carrying survival fuel in it.. Darned if I didn't run out of gas 'way into the road to Dewey OK. after having neglected to do it. Needed the exercize anyhow I guess. Just trying to get some air after a dismal failure of the Sturmey Archer 3-speed on the 6-1/2 HP Monarch. Think I will do the Shimano tranny to replace the S-A. I gave up trying to cut wet grass too. The weeds are 18" in places and the Lawnbooy is overmatched. Anyone got an extra sythe?:-||

I was through there a couple of weeks ago!

Home Depot now carries fuel in a quart can --- premixed to 40:1 or 50:1 --- with StaBil already added. Seems like this would be an excellent way to carry extra fuel.....it's already in a can that won't leak.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

I installed my new front wheel with new 203mm rotor on my La jolla. Hydraulic brakes coming in mail. Debating on tig welding caliper mounting tabs or buying a RST suspension fork.

View attachment 61868
Couldnt help but notice the Puch head on your bike, do you like how it performs and exacly which head is it if you dont mind me asking.

Thanks, map

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

Mapbike, have you received your purchase yet? Inquiring minds, and all that....:D

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Mapbike, have you received your purchase yet? Inquiring minds, and all that....:D
If you're referring to the puch head puchase from forum member k.mah, yes received it a few days ago, came in good shape, just needs to be cleaned up, I have since oredered another puch head as well, the last one I ordered looks to have a better squish band but not sure if it will perform any better that could be noticed, time will tell once I give them a try.

Map

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

Tested my charging circuit with a multimeter. I already had my system set up and tested before, but I had to replace the generator spindle and I also installed a different battery, so I just wanted to test it and make sure its still working properly. It appears to be, but I'll also be testing it over the next few days to see if there is any voltage drop in the battery. There shouldn't be, but testing is the best way to make sure. In a little while I'll be off to tractor supply to get a trailer marker light to use as a brake light. I'll also be changing my current brake light into a tail light eventually, so that I can eliminate the need for any batteries that can't be charged by my charging system.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Tested my charging circuit with a multimeter. I already had my system set up and tested before, but I had to replace the generator spindle and I also installed a different battery, so I just wanted to test it and make sure its still working properly. It appears to be, but I'll also be testing it over the next few days to see if there is any voltage drop in the battery. There shouldn't be, but testing is the best way to make sure. In a little while I'll be off to tractor supply to get a trailer marker light to use as a brake light. I'll also be changing my current brake light into a tail light eventually, so that I can eliminate the need for any batteries that can't be charged by my charging system.
I got some smaller rectangular shaped trailer marker lights at autozone that are LED, I plan to use them because of their small current draw on a battery, tractor supply may have the LED type also, they will be brighter than the standard light normally also.

map

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

Tractor supply has the led marker lights, but I accidentally got an incandescent one today. I'll be taking it back tomorrow. Hopefully I'll make a few dollars in tips tomorrow, so I can exchange it for an led type which is about $4 more than the one I got today.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

My current brake light has an 18 led automotive bulb in it, but its just not as bright as what I had hoped it would be. Its plenty bright for night use, which is why I plan to use it as a tail light. Its just not as bright during the day. I think its the lens type. This was originally a Yamaha turn signal, that may be why it doesn't shine as bright during the day.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.

I tore down the rear wheel for my AMF build to get it ready for when the new 12g stainless spokes show up.

Nunyadam

Jun 25, 2013
3rd rock from sun

I turned the head so the plug now faces forward. for whatever reason that improved performance in all areas. Had a friend tell me i was crazy, told him to ride it. He came back a believer.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

Nose (electrode) of the plug facing the forward on the bike or toward the carb?

If it's facing toward the front of the bike it retards ignition timing a bit.