micargi puma gts newbie build

GoldenMotor.com

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
I think I have a head gasket leak as there's oil around the gasket area. I'll have to get a new one and some copper gasket sealer. Otherwise it's running reliably. Starts up right away, has good power, still 4 stroke at top end but still breaking in motor so that's ok.I'm getting 28mph top speed but I know there's more on the table. If I can get 32 I'd be happy

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
I opened up my old motor today. I took the jug of and the ports looked fairly clean except for the ridge at the transfer window. The intake and exhaust were clean. The ribs were looking good. The cylinder wall was scuffed a bit, not excessive to me.They're was a bit of carbon on top of the piston and head but it looked pretty good overall. I'll open the case at a later day. I kinda want to take my jug off from the dax motor that's on my bike just to take a look at the ports.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
How thick is your gasket? You can run a coke can for a gasket, it will raise the compression some too. Take you to around 40.

Let's go for a ride! I need to get some welding done but after that I will be ready.

Last edited:

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
I'm using a stock gasket but I think I'll try the can gasket. I have almost 200 miles on this dax motor and I'm going to lean out the carb a bit more. It's still smoking pretty good right now and it's running cool too only about 175° and my plug is pretty black too.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
Went for a ride today and man what a difference the jet made. A little 4 stroking at first start up but after a few minutes it went away. The power was awesome, big change in power and it was cruising at 30mph with a top speed of 36mph. Temps were still just above 200°f at the spark plug base. I'm very happy with the change in jet size.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca

It didn't look like the welds failed but that the metal broke at the welds. I need to figure out a fix. Unfortunately I don't weld and don't know of anyone who does

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Must of been some flexing to cause that. There got to be a welding shop around there somewhere, just start asking around........................Curt

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
I think cause I'm about 200lbs, I'm looking around. Ideally I'd like to get a welder and learn how to weld. Either way it's a weak spot and needs to be reinforced

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Go for it i am a self taught welder. Started with a torch then stick now have mig. and if i was any younger i would get a tig. But have a neighbor that has a tig and he does what i need. Now days you can get one machine that does stick,mig,and tig all in one.........Curt

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
I'm looking at the welder from harbor freight since it's what I could afford and I'm not making a car here. This has been the only time I've needed a welder but it's something I've always wanted to learn to do

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
36mph! Wow! Good for you. Ok let's go for a ride! Far as welding, he hf welders are really bad unless you get the mig 170 with gas. Believe me flux core is VERY BAD. Better to get a wire brush attachment for you drill or grinder and prepare the stuff to be welded by a shop. Most auto shops have tigs and at the very least mig setups and they will stick it for you for $20 or so. For me I need a lot of welding and I got a buddy that helps me out, but since he ran outta gas we've done a lot of flux core fixes... I did my first welds with it. It works but it's ugly and requires hours of grinding then filling then grinding again to make it pretty. Also it is not really a good idea to use fc in that spot, seat stays take a lot of weight and you could change the metal properties. Best bet is to find a guy with a tig and get it done.

I been looking at the cheap inverter tig welders on eBay; I think for $300 a decent enough tig setup can be had so I can start making my own frames and such.

Last edited:

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
Beginner I've thought about everything you've said. I've watched videos on the hf welder and I don't like it. My plan was to prepare it all myself and bring it to an auto shop. I have a co-worker who used to do auto body so I'm trying to get a hold of him. Sucks that I'll have to paint the area but oh well. When I get it fixed I'll let you know. I was surprised when I went 36 mph, it'll go about 33 no problem but the conditions have to be right for 36 I think cause I wasn't able to go that far last time I rode but it was very windy.