80cc bogging down, dies at full throttle

GoldenMotor.com

bailsafe

Oct 23, 2015
Slippery Rock, PA, USA
Here's a recording of the sound, cause I'm not entirely sure how to explain this. I'm slowly going to full throttle throughout the time the engine is engaged.

The engine slowly dies at full throttle. I maxed out at about 15mph this morning before giving up and walking back home. Idling sounds healthy, if maybe not a bit erratic at times...I'm thinking it might be related to my previous air leak in the carb, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Sounds like it could be an air leak, can you feel any hot air shooting out around the head gasket when the engine is running? If you had a previous air leak at the carb I would check that first. It could be another carb issue too, maybe at WOT it's flooding?

Last edited:

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Also check to see that your choke isn't vibrating its way partially closed as the revs increase. Check for oil dripping from muffler as they can clog up and need cleaning. Check air filter for excessive oil and clean if needed.

bailsafe

Oct 23, 2015
Slippery Rock, PA, USA
Sounds like it could be an air leak, can you feel any hot air shooting out around the head gasket when the engine is running? If you had a previous air leak at the carb I would check that first. It could be another carb issue too, maybe at WOT it's flooding?
This was most likely it: an air leak at the carb. Just put on my replacement carb and it seems to work much better, topping out at about 35mph (or so my speedo says, it's probably not too accurate). It's not bogging down anymore at WOT but I'll be sure to keep an eye on it.