Gear Ratio with Predator 212cc and jackshaft

GoldenMotor.com

potbunny

Nov 26, 2012
Bloomington, IN
well im on a budget and couldnt modify the frame...i guess i could take it oput but i still am so confused on gear ratios. whats the fastest speed and ration i could use if i removed the governor? would i be able to ditch the jackshaft? cust i would only use a bolt-on-the-engine kind and i cant find one for the 212cc

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
the AGK bolts on to all the predators
if you dont have a good budget i would think twice about a 212cc build or at least take your time with it because you are going to have to make/modify a lot of parts if you want to do this if you dont know what you are doing real well you will hurt yourself with this engine

potbunny

Nov 26, 2012
Bloomington, IN
ok illl think about it but i will be with my uncle who can help me with the frame and stuff. i will remove the governor, what ratio will i use not to get the best speed and take off from a dead start?

kksbunny

Nov 27, 2012
u.s virginia
Hey, excuse me, so i recently removed my governor, and i was wondering if i just do about 5000 rpm without upgrading any other part like freewheel, piston rod...... Is it ok to do that? please respond!!!

Austritch

Apr 16, 2016
NC
Hey! Just checking in with my 150cc GY6 fat bike build. I am beginning the final stages with doing my gearing. So far I have (on paper) a 5:1 (12 on the clutch and 60 on the axle) gear ratio on a 26 inch drive wheel. I intend to mount the rear sprocket to where the rear disc brake rotor is now to avoid pressure on the spokes. I will still have and use the front disc brake. What do you think about this ratio? Will it eat up my centrifugal clutch? I think the max rev is about 7000. Questions? Comments? Concerns?

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Here's a link to a page with a 2 item list- click on Gear ratio exe and it will download a good little program you can use to calculate ratios, plug in different sized sprockets and wheel diameters, add a jackshaft ratio, whatever, and tell your resulting speed vs rpm.
Good stuff!
http://jimsitton.net/ratiocalc/

Austritch

Apr 16, 2016
NC
Thanks for the calculator. But I am still not finding answers to my question as to whether the 5:1 (12 tooth drive & 60 tooth driven) ratio would cook my centrifugal clutch or not if I'm running a 150cc motor (red line 7000rpm) which has much more torque than a 49cc. Or should I go for a larger driven sprocket? (80 or 100 tooth)? I am using 26inch fat bike wheels (giant).

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
It's not so much the torque of the engine. I have a Honda 196 that I run with a TAV-2 transmission and a 50t sprocket. That's an overall starting ratio of 1:13.4. Yes, geared higher than tiny engines, but still reasonable for smooth takeoff. I would say that a 1:5 ratio would probably cook the clutch quickly. It's like being able to take off in third gear. Yeah, it's possible. Yes, you can get a higher top speed in 3rd, but you risk burning out the clutch if you use it to start. Doesn't matter if you drive a Viper or a Civic.

Last edited:

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
You wanna run at least a 6.5, better to run a 7.5 or 8. As a single speed I have run a 7 with the black spring in the max torque clutch, but the engine didn't rev out past 4800. If you want good takeoff and top speed run a black mt spring with mixed heavy/regular shoes and an 8:1 or 7.5:1.

With a stock clutch spring and 5 or 6 ratio the thing won't even move, the clutch will chatter and cook at under 30mph.

Austritch

Apr 16, 2016
NC
Thanks AGreen & Tony01! Exactly the answers I'm looking for! I'm gonna aim at a 8:1 ratio and hope it doesn't cook my clutch!

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
It'll cook a stock clutch, with the heavier spring it won't cook it, also if your primary ratio is between 1.3 and 1.5 you could use a stock clutch on the jackshaft (outputs to rear wheel)