Indian Tadpole

GoldenMotor.com

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Hi Tom,
The round, unnumbered part is the bearing that fits inside rotating actuator. There is one in each half of the actuator.

Steve.
Thanks Steve, it's odd that that in the parts list 3D did not note that two bearings per assembly are required. Like I said I have a 3d clutch, last year they ran a special sale
$99 US. It was an offer I could not refuse. We had a real PNW weather day here today.

Tom from Rubicon

Last edited:
Reactions: indian22

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I like your idea about the bronze bushing Rick. Originally the side of the actuator bearing was used to depress the clutch. The washer I made is 1/8" hot rolled steel. I'll make one that will fit over the bronze bearing and sit up against the bearing to see if I can replicate what happened original. I'll remove the washer I put in there.
The answer is there it's a matter of finding it.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Didn't get to the bike today. Spent the time gluing up furniture and getting ready for some light upholstery work. Christmas is coming and the make the house nice has started. For some reason they feel Grumpy needs to be included.

To that I say, Humbug!

I did a pretty good job of hiding how much fun it was. Need to do some button tufting so I thought I'd look up how much a button press would cost to make fabric covered buttons. At least 3 motorbikes. Really nice motorbikes

First they sell you the press and then they do nasty things to your wallet because you need the accessories to use it like the cutters and the dies. Only way I can justify that is because I need it to upholster a sidecar body in Rich Corinthian Leather with lot's of button tufting. Metal over a wood frame. Side entry door. Attached to a Sportsman Flyer with a 212cc. Indian style tank and other influences.

Then there is the electric tri car that needs a seat made.

First the Indian tri car needs to be finished. Looks like the New Year is fully booked already.

Steve

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The clutch is in and working. Tried the other modifications, Rick but went back to the spacing washer that I tried first. I do need to see if I can get Pat to make a pedal shaft about and 1-1/2" longer on one side. I used a split collar washer to hold everything tight but then it lands half way across the area needed for the pedal. I had planned on using the pedal itself as the stop but I could see problems with it binding if someone pedaled it. I'll use a drill to start it.

I'll weld up a mount for the clutch cable tomorrow. Probably use some more of the small square tubing I used for the clutch arm on the activator.

Lot of fiddling and touching up on the tri car still. Hope Pat doesn't mind another special request. He was good enough to make a 70 tooth sprocket for me. As I said this is the last tour into the motorbike wilderness for me. If I can do another build it will based on a Sportsman Flyer. I'll bet it's done in two weeks or less.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Dogcatcher, How very true that is. If I could go back and gather up all that time I could probably build a dozen of them. I've been through Pat's site so often I qualify for Frequent Dreamer Miles.The tri car will be great when it's done and it will be unique and worth it but knowing what I know now it would never have happened.

Steve.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Sportsman Flyer Frequent Dreamer Miles?
Steve, if Pat had a view meter I should think I am in the running. With the 80 built I already lust for a conversion to a 160.
But if you have seen photos of his Bonneville Super Cruiser then you know what I lust after. I even asked him via this forum what he might ask for one. No word.
Glad to hear the only major road block remaining in this Tri Car build is resolved.
Your problems with a modified 3D clutch and how they were sorted out has given me a greater understanding of it and it's workings.
Tom from Rubicon

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Tom, every time I click on the forum I see that sweet bike in Pats ad. Gives life a purpose it does.

When I was chasing the clutch problems I kept telling myself that when I found my way out it would be a simple thing but I couldn't see it for a long time. I was in the garage today doing a lot of creative staring to figure out the best way to make a stop for the cable and clean up the work space.
Actually slept all of last night not trying to figure out how to get the clutch working. It was refreshing.

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Steve, it's odd that that in the parts list 3D did not note that two bearings per assembly are required. Like I said I have a 3d clutch, last year they ran a special sale
$99 US. It was an offer I could not refuse. We had a real PNW weather day here today.

Tom from Rubicon
Tom that's the price when I bought mine, now $200, plus for my next one, if the one I loaned out doesn't return home.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I think it's over the hurdle as well Curt. Didn't lie there for half the night going over in my head what could be the cure. I did remake the spacer washer and it worked better but couldn't see any difference between the two.

Steve.
Lol, "just a matter of a few thousandths" Steve, that plus never giving up! Glad it's working, but it's really fought you.

I took my eye off this thread and you guys ran off on me. I must have attention deficit problems....

Rick C.