Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Instead of waiting on the Harley (me) to test the shifter on: I switched the hand lever over to the Simplex C. Gator and reversed clutch and brake controls on the drop lars and went for a little ride. Felt old fashion and worked well, not fast as the foot operated lever but smooth and unhurried, the valve train has a lot of time to settle down before the gear change can be completed, which eliminates much of the chance of poping a valve on down shifts. Not a good setup for drag or road course racing either, but if vintage feel is the goal this will work. I'll leave finding the proper look for later. Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I remember the police Harley's when I was a kid having a tank shift and flat head motors. Late Fifties and well into the Sixties. They rode them summer and winter mainly with sidecars attached and the snow had to be bad for them to be off the road.

When they shifted there was a brief pause as they shifted but as we found out they could shift pretty quickly and smoothly when in pursuit of the latest speeding victim should they be foolish enough to run for it.

Steve

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Your last post pretty much matches my recollections of police Harleys and officers in those bygone days and your also correct about them seeming to out serve the U.S. postal service 24 - 7 come rain or shine, Steve. We are enjoying ice covered roadways today I'll not be out at all on 2, 3 or 4 wheels. I rode to the coffee shop yesterday morning, cold but dry....coming home freezing rain started but roadway didn't get slippery until later in the morning.

While waiting on parts I decided to swap the Rich Phillips saddle on the Copper Gator Simplex to the Harley Peashooter and mount the custom tooled seat to the Simplex. I like the look of the swap on each mock up but will need to alter the mounts of each for any permanent installation. I have used Rich Phillips as a saddle maker for a number of years and continue to be impressed with his craftsmanship and quality materials. The pan shape and size (10" x 13") suit me and offer a more appropriate look than the larger sizes for bicycle frames...feel good as well. If the style looks good when permanently mounted on the Harley I'll either dye it black or order a smooth black leather one in the same size and style pan. I sould have both the tank and bars in soon so I can mock it all up together and decide if the design elements work together. I'm pretty confident they will, but I've been wrong before and it didn't always hurt that bad! Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Harold the saddle was a three or four minute swap to the Simplex with no mount change whatsoever. The mount for the HD Peashooter however won't work as that bracket was a one trick pony. Good news is that it's a simple job to fab one that will function properly.

I've ordered a plain black leather saddle for the Harley from Rich Phillips as the size & finish is what I want. I'll keep the brown gator seat for a backup on the Simplex...adds a different option for variety.

Got major parts coming together so I'd expect a bit of progress as well...if I would just stop changing my mind.

Seems the Simplex Copper Gator has a few changes left as well and the Keystone Peashooter is just starting to take a more defined form that might dictate where I go from here on out.

Still just having fun and not about to settle just to get 'er done or to save a buck.

Rick C.

Attachments

Reactions: Nightster

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Second time I've dropped the Simplex without leaving a scratch on the bike! I'd just pulled it up on the stand on asphalt and turned to go in the store when I heard her fall. The pavement just gave way under the right leg of the stand. I guess the ground was soft underneath due to the ice and rain, leg just punched through and the Gator fell over. I had a full tank of fuel so it was a good test of my gas cap vent design. The left side cap and vent didn't lose a drop and the right side gave up a tiny run about four inches down the side. I'm calling that a successful test.

I rode a little this afternoon and the saddle feels good; the higher roll of the pan's countour kept me well located, but also fixed my riding position about two inches forward so I'll need to adjust the bars to increase the reach to offset the change.

UPS scheduled the delivery of the Harley style bars for tomorrow and the fuel tank for Thursday...saddle next Monday so stuff will be happening soon. Rick C.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I received my Sportsman Harley style bars today and mounted them on the Peashooter. Big difference in look and feel. These will be left unpainted as will the frame and engine cradle. I'd added an extension to the hand shift lever on left side and the overall length looks to be 16" with the bars at a moderately dropped attitude (about mid tank) I only have to move my left hand six inches to complete gear changes. Left hand operated front brake lever and throttle side hand lever for the clutch. Poor photos but use your imagination lol my best aren't too good either. Rick C.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Coming up on a year of riding the Simplex, time flies and a few changes made these due to rider preference not damage etc. It's held up well and in my opinion looks much better as time passes as the copper continues to age. When first built the copper was so brilliant it was difficult for me to photograph, now earth tones are showing up and areas of green appear patina copper style. Brass work has deepened in hue to a brown and the satin black of the frame itself has dulled and taken on a sedate and classic look.
Looking at the Harley I imagine how the brass will look a year from now as well as the limited copper accents used. As I helped the ageing process on the Simplex I'll also use a light muratic acid solution to accelerate the ageing of the brightwork on the Harley. Of course all paint was removed from the engine cases and only the jug repainted in hi temp satin black. The aluminum cases were wire brushed which already lends an aged look to the motor. I will also use a mild accelerant to promote oxidation of the engine cases.
Frame, forks, cradle and handle bars are all steel and will remain unpainted ...no clear coat. Brazing and weldments just as they are; the stainless fuel tank will also not be painted, but will use the red, early Harley badgeing.
What I'm looking for is a "feeling" and not to fool others, also I've stated before that I'm really a metal guy and though I appreciate others use of paint and color I use it sparingly for effect and always hesitantly and usually for added contrast and protection in areas where my use of varied metals would clutter or otherwise be inappropriate.

Being a metal guy I'm also involved in the quite natural care and feeding of the oxidation process; starting, slowing and stopping the oxidation, even burnishing and waxing to protect a desired look and especially on the ferrous metals to protect from damage.
Rust is a form of runaway oxidation on steel (ferrous) and is not our friend. Mild oxidation of any metal is a natural protection from further surface damage. In the case of aluminum oxidation the resulting layer of protection formed is one of the hardest commonly occuring elements known to man and is used, bonded with phenolic resins, to form tools, cutoff wheels & grinders for example, to easily cut and form hardened steel etc.
Using bare metal might not be as crazy an idea as it at a casual inquiry might first appear, but it does require a small amount of periodic maintenance, quite a bit more if the project is constantly exposed to harsh elements...in which case coating is and always will be my first choice even if it results in an aesthetically unappealing, to me, creation. Still I admire the color used in most build, just not in mine. Rick C.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks for the continued updates Rick. Lots of life getting in the way of participation lately so your updates are appreciated more than feedback would indicate. As always I'm looking forward to pics which I assume are hard to get with weather limited elbow room. Nice thing about winter is having time to rethink things (changed my mind at least 10 times before choosing a paint scheme) and building it for yourself means you're the one to please in the end.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Building it for yourself means you're the one to please in the end.

So true, if not selling it, or for a customer. You are the one that has to ride and care for it. Make what you like, not a copy. LOL. .............Curt

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Hi Harold. I blame weather both good and bad. To cold and frozen to work followed by too glorious to work...the truth is in the middle of course. We are in a ten day forecast of excellent weather which gives us time to cleanup and repair, shop and stock, while taking time to socialize and enjoy...which includes working on hobby projects including the bikes. Riding is a daily deal with me year round so I also work more of this in the mix to offset the no ride days of ice. I like to think I'm pretty balanced in my activities overall which should result in a life well lived...my goal (besides drawing breath) at this point my life.

Today should see both fuel tank and saddle arrive and if that occurs I should be ready to mount or at least mock up on the Peashooter for some photos to mull over as I finalize the major components in place at last.

I really rely on multiple photos taken from various perspectives during each stage of the build to keep me on target while referring to those original era Harleys which are the inspirational basis for my tribute bike; which is not to be confused with replication of a specific original year or model just "in the spirit of..." Of course I share a few photos along the way with the forum as I enjoy the photos of all the bikes currently being constructed and those of years past as well.

I hope to be pleased with what I see in the next photos I post 'cause I'm pretty invested at this point in my endeavors with the Peashooter Harley.
I'm also looking forward to seeing your work progress as opportunity presents... Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Fuel tank arrived a few minutes ago and I'm pleased to report there was no damage. Saddle arrived earlier and I got it mounted. I also cut and adjusted the handle bars to suit after mounting the saddle. I'll post a couple of photos when I get a chance to resize them.

Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I was looking at the latest photos of the Pea Shooter and unless the person looking at it is knowledgeable about motorcycles they would be hard put to recognize the motor as being what it was originally. Artfully done.

I think the new seat matches the bike perfectly while the other seat looks like it was made for the Copper Gator. As you said the copper and the brass on the Simplex are gently aging into the warm glow that they do over time.

I hope that your good weather holds up so you can get some riding time in and your health allows you to do it.

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Steve the cosmetic enhancement of time on a vintage type build is usually a plus even when accelerated with chemicals at the beginning. The frame on my Simplex was painted satin black but left unprotected by clear coat and it already has a touch of paint oxidation. I'm leaving as is though a light waxing would restore the satin look in a hurry. Unfinished metal just does its own thing like a box of Gumps chocolates.

I've some work left to do on the "Chucklehead" rocker cover and brass pushrod tubes. The main thing is that nothing is going to just fall off, it is locked in place, yet easily dismantled when engine access is required.

I am really pleased with the tooled saddle on the Simplex. The skull fits the "carnival" tradition of masks commonly displayed and worn during the New Orleans festival and that is signicant because the Simplex was manufactured there. It's kinda showy but so is raw copper.

The Peashooter tank was an easy mount, I have to make only one tank bracket (front tube grommet in the way) no problem.

Photo shows shift lever parallel to the push rod tubes, but I need to shorten it by 6" to 8". Profile is starting to look a lot more like a flat track racer wannabe and the engine more like a 500 cc than the 125 cc it actually is. Rick C.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Building it for yourself means you're the one to please in the end.

So true, if not selling it, or for a customer. You are the one that has to ride and care for it. Make what you like, not a copy. LOL. .............Curt
So true Curtis although I really appreciate the compliments of other and frest input of ideas as well. In the end I build to suit me, which as you've been witness sometimes I change my mind and alter the work in progress or even the so called finished bikes. Photos play a large part in this both the photos included in the posts of others and my own. Historical photos are the primary source of my inspiration, but not usually to exactly copy, just to keep in harmony with the originals of a style and era.
The Peashooter Harley and the Simplex style "copper gator" both resemble a heritage look while knowledgeable students of early motos will spot a tribute bike from afar. That's as it should be. I'm after the "what the heck?" looks from avid fans of all types. Guys are going to confront me with that's not a real Harley and spout off with evidence to support. I'm still going to run the early Harley tank badging in part to egg them on. They are looking for an argument and I'm still just having fun. Rick C.