another thought from the bedroom

GoldenMotor.com

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
[email protected]ber
Again reaching for sleep I thought of a way to use a 3 speed rear wheel tranny and be able to peddle. I have an Alanax treadle powered bicycle that has a rear hub with a free-wheeling sprocket on each side. If I spoke it to a 2-1/4 X 26" rim, I can put an engine final sprocket on the left and the peddle chain on the right sprocket. Then a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed tranny as a jackshaft mounted in a yoke fastened to the seat tube with one spoke flange machined off to allow pop-riveting a motor pulley to the backside of the opposite flange. Consider, the hub is driven by the pulley and therefore the sprocket is driving on the left side I already have one that is set up like that but it drives a 2nd jackshaft and there are no peddles to keep it legal. The rear brake would be rim clincher. This system requires a rope starter. I have a choice of a 4 HP lawnboy 2-stroke or a 5-1/2 HP HFT 4-stroke..shft.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
[email protected]ber
Again reaching for sleep I thought of a way to use a 3 speed rear wheel tranny and be able to peddle.
hehehe, ya, thats what they are designed for hehehe ;-}

I have an Alanax treadle powered bicycle that has a rear hub with a free-wheeling sprocket on each side.
If I spoke it to a 2-1/4 X 26" rim, I can put an engine final sprocket on the left and the peddle chain on the right sprocket.
So you are going to put a pull start on it now?
Good thing as there would be way to start it, but parts for that today are crap.

Then a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed tranny as a jackshaft mounted in a yoke fastened to the seat tube with one spoke flange machined off to allow pop-riveting a motor pulley to the backside of the opposite flange.

Consider, the hub is driven by the pulley and therefore the sprocket is driving on the left side I already have one that is set up like that but it drives a 2nd jackshaft and there are no peddles to keep it legal.
The rear brake would be rim clincher.

This system requires a rope starter. I have a choice of a 4 HP lawnboy 2-stroke or a 5-1/2 HP HFT 4-stroke..shft.
My eyes glazed over trying to follow the rest, sounds more like a nightmare than a dream to me ;-}

Save