Shift Kit: Do I need a left side sprocket?

GoldenMotor.com

Mikey_

May 15, 2016
GA
I hope this isn't the wrong section because I have a super newbie question about using a 'shift kit.'

Question:

(1) With the shift kit, does it mean that i no longer need to run a sprocket on the left side of the bike and can just rely on the right side cassette (gears)?

(2) Or does it mean that I can shift from the left side sprocket that comes with kits, but also have the ability to use the bikes right side cassette?

I wasn't able to get the WMV file video to play that is on SBP's site on my computer that probably explains this.

Thanks.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Welcome!

SBP shift kits transfer power to the right side of the bike, by use of a jackshaft, another common name for the kit. A freewheel chainring (crank) is included and required, to keep the pedals from spinning. The left side chain, the one coming out of your engine, will only span a few inches to the jackshaft, there will be no sprocket on the left side of the wheel.

Depending on your motor, other options might be available, but for a twostroke ChinaGirl, options are limited.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
The SBP kit comes highly recommended, just get the heavy duty (HD) kit, or you'll just replace with the HD parts in a little while anyway, from what I've heard. Might as well do a wide crank kit along with it, too, which will improve clearance around the exhaust and keep your bits and pieces further from the heat, If nothing else. Should you decide to use a pull start, you'll need a wide crank kit then too.

A few members here have used internally geared hubs as both jackshafts and transmissions, something I'm looking into myself.

Mikey_

May 15, 2016
GA
One issue I have is building for now just to get started or building for the future--- Many of the bikes that I like come with coaster brakes in the rear, they are single speed or use a weaker style hub gearing that I'm not sure will work with a shift kick. i think I read that coaster brakes must be removed to work with the kit.

I'm not sure if I should just go stock kit build or just add either an internal hub or cassette and derailleur now.

I also wonder if the front drum brake and coaster brake that many of these bikes can hold up and stop me at a decent speed.