white wire

GoldenMotor.com

hazzardous1

Mar 16, 2016
illinois
ok so i just got my black stallion 48 cc motor got ut all set up ang the only thing i need to find out is what is the left over white wire for?:-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you typed in 'White Wire' to the 'search, you'd have lots to read on that subject.

Cap it off so it can't come into contact with any metal and forget about it. It serves no useful purpose and the engine manufacturers have finally acknowledged that and the infamous 'white wire' has been eliminated from most new kits. Don't use it for anything.

Tom

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Minor thread jacking here.

I can't get the search feature to work on my phone, so extensive digging or hoping the subject comes up again is about all I can do.

So the white wire is useless? I know some forum members use it, I haven't, but I intended to. Will it burn out my magneto? Or just not put out enough juice to bother with? Was kinda hoping I could use it to charge a 6v battery system, would I be better off with a "wine bottle" dynamo? I don't have the cash for a dynamo hub, or I'd use one.

I want to charge a 6v system for my upcoming "Coro-Camper" project. With 6v coming in and nothing running while I travel, when I stop for camp, I can connect the batteries in series to produce 12v, and power a laptop for awhile, or at least recharge my phone, and provide some interior lighting. Also, it would allow me to run some good, bright marker lights, should I have to pull my camper after dark.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
MM,
You're correct in that a few members have successfully used the white wire for some things. However, unless you're well versed in electronics and are able to build circuit boards and deal with the necessary components, the white wire is better left unused.

It can only provide about 2.5 to 3 watts @ a variable voltage of less than 6vac up to about 9vac depending on engine rpm. 3 watts won't give you enough light to be of any use and adequately charging a battery is doubtful. That said, it is possible to use the infamous 'white wire' but it isn't as easy as just connecting it to something. If you can gain access to the 'Search' there is lots of discussion about this subject and you might be able to come up with something. Good luck.

Tom

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Roger that Tom. I'm no electrician, let alone capable of building circuit boards. I'll look into other options, and start a new thread soon for all this. Thanks Tom