98cc Villiers Vintage Style Build

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks Curt and MotoMagz!

They have dropped a bit in price since I bought my 2 pairs. I guess more sellers are handling them now. Emgo stuff is generally pretty good quality.

Making the shift and throttle cables now. About all there will be left to do is to mount the stand clip to the rear fender, finish the front motor mounts, make the straps for the fuel tank, and see about mounting the generator. Then this one sits for a bit while I dismantle and paint the Briggs build which should have been finished before this one.

I have no self control.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
The construction on this one is pretty much completed.

Got all the cables made, stand clip fitted and mounted along with a vintage reflector.
Could not fit the generator to run from the engines flywheel, so welded a tab to the left chain stay and will run it off the tire as usual. Was looking forward to having light output while sitting still at idle. Did this on other builds and it worked great. This is a 12v generator so it should be able to run the 12v LED car bulbs.

Got the tank cushions and straps made. Forgot the seat is leather and should have gotten darker leather for the straps to match. Oh well. Front motor mounts will be finished when I dismantle for paint. Hope to make them adjustable for primary chain tension.

Time for this thing to get covered in the corner and get back on the Briggs.

Attachments

Reactions: Nightster

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
A black leather belt would yield straps. I've been thinking about the problem of no lights when stopped with that kind of generator and was wondering about wiring in a capacitor. Sturmey Archer generator hubs are set up that way if I understand correctly. It would just need to store juice for long enough to outlast a stop sign and such.
SB

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
That's true SB, I might even have and old belt around. The 1" straps are fairly cheap at $9.50 shipped for 72" I just should have bought the dark chocolate brown.

I had thought of the capacitor. I have already been digging in my Ebike stuff. I have several different sizes. I would assume a diode might be necessary to stop feed back into the generator. That's easy enough to do. The LEDs that I have been using pull virtually no amperage so this might work well. I will charge a cap and see.

Curt
The generators I have used in this way in the past worked as is with the exception of adding a piece of rubber hose to the drive roller to make it work with the smooth flywheel. Even though the flywheel is smaller in diameter its moving about 3x as fast at idle. I worried more about over speeding at road speeds but the gen never flew apart. I drilled an 1/8" hole thru the body to the shaft and greased it with a needle point grease gun. I'm sure that helped. I wont be riding this assemblage of parts much at night any way. Its just good to have lights if you get caught out late and/or maybe to impress the Man if he wants to have a look.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
SB

Concerning the idea of aux power to the generator when stopped. I don't think a cap will work practically. I hooked up one in parallel to one 12v led powered it up long enough to be sure the cap was charged then cut the battery. The led remained lit brightly on a few seconds but held a dull glow(too low to be seen on the bike) for quite a while. I think the cap in the SA gen probably acted as a voltage stabilizer.

I think better is to use the small A23 12v battery like goes in a garage door remote. I'm fond of it because its so small it will easily fit in the lights housing. If wired into the system with a switch it would power the lights when the generator drops below 12v. A blocking diode at the generator would prevent battery feed back into the gen when stopped, providing only power to the lights. Another blocking diode could be used at the battery to cut it out of the circuit when the gen is charging assuming it makes over battery voltage, might not be necessary. The switch would have to as normal be cut on before and after use. The little A23 is only 55mah and wont last too long on its own. However the leds only pull .09A ea.

The parts to do this are fairly cheap under $5. Heres a pic of the leds, the cap, and the A23. The AA cell is for size comparison.

Attachments

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
They are whats called "warm white" just perfect to look like old incandescent bulbs. They look yellow until turned on.
Wow don't look directly at em, theyre pretty bright. Don't pull much juice either.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I bought 20 of them off ebay for something like $10 shipped. Replaced all the lighting in my sailboat. Really easy on the battery.

They work well on my builds using older light fixtures. Just solder on some wires and glue the bulb in the fixture with a dab of silicone. Baring a failure, I wont be replacing them in my lifetime.

These are good for creating vintage
look lighting. Brighter than the usual generator sets bulbs, but not like the newer led lighting which is super bright. I have one of those set ups. Lights up the whole road!

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
YA! they make all kinds, i use them in my motorhome ( wife has a habit of leaving the light on ) helps save the batteries. We do a lot of camping with no power source.

Think the have replacements for flashlight size also..............Curt