what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

KCvale, I'm sorry for your loss and the fire.

I've been getting a clunking sound on my drivetrain. I can slightly hear and feel it. I decided to replace the chain I'd broken a few days ago. I also sawed off the bottom of the front derailleur's guide. I wish the derailleur's selector went deeper past the sprocket. Now I'm worried that the chain will snag the bottom of the selector/guide. I'll buy another front derailleur, since they're so inexpensive. I cut the derailleur, just in case the chain was snagging it. The cassette was also protesting during the shift from first to second gear.

Upon riding to work today, the clunking is still there. Besides that, the rear cassette is protesting mightily in the upshift from first to second gear. Besides changing the front derailleur, I will also replace the rear cassette. Maybe the ravages of months of motorized power shifts has taken its toll on it.

I have made it a point of releasing the throttle before shifting gears.xct2

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho

Put an actual kill switch on the bike today, works like a dream. :)

Though, now I really want a keyed switch. :(

And I went a little crazy with the hose clamps on the SBP xchamber...

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID

Regular heater wont last long at all. The SBP hose is silicone hose. You can find it locally at boat shops. :)

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine

I've had heater hose on mine for about three years and thousands of miles. It holds up just fine.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine

Not trying to be contradictory... Just stating my experience.

When I first did it, I didn't really have high hopes. I had a strong feeling it would melt and make a mess. But I'm very surprised how well it's done.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

Thanks for the tip, guys. I need 1 5/16" exhaust tubing for my Tanaka expansion pipe. If boat shops don't have it, I'll try heater hose.dance1

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine

Conduit works fine for exhaust piping. A little annoying to weld, but it does the job.

Heater hose is easier though :)

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho

It's actually called flexpipe what you're talking about, don't use actual conduit (though flexpipe looks like it, conduit is a spiral of metal, flexpipe is one solid tube).

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

It's actually called flexpipe what you're talking about, don't use actual conduit (though flexpipe looks like it, conduit is a spiral of metal, flexpipe is one solid tube).
Difference is the the flex exhaust pipe is flat inside & out rather than being bulged outward at each flex joint like the flewable conduit is.

The pic below if of exhaust flex pipe.

Attachments

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

Thanks for the well wishes guys, and ya, I'm OK.

Just the shop, which is just a big enclosed patio, is a mess.

You can read about it here KC's Kruisers - Motorized Bike Forum - KC's House Burns if you want, but here is what happened to 2 of the 3 burnt up bikes.

They were outside the shop door where the fire was.
My prized bikes where inside the shop and not hurt too bad.

I think Elvira kept them safe, she hot on me you know ;-}

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho

Ahh, kk. When I hear conduit I think of the loose spiral easy flex stuff used in home interior (which is all the electrical I've ever done - haven't gone further out than a breaker box), which would just make a mess.

I learned a lot from just wiki'ing Conduit.
Electrical conduit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh wow, looks like extra projects and spare parts KC. >_<

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

KC, I am glad to hear that the unfortunate damage was minimal in comparison to what it could have been. Still though, I am sorry to hear of it happening at all.
Fire is wicked stuff. It can be man's best tool or man's worst enemy.

DaveM

Aug 22, 2010
Adelaide, Australia

I finished my crank case splitting tools today, I have been working on these on and off for about a week. I am glad they are finished and I was able to use them on a old motor and they work well! I separated the clutch side first then pushed the crank out from the magneto side since the magneto cover only has 4mm bolts then I pushed the clutch shaft out last. Check out the pictures except for my crappy welding they actually look really good!

Regards,
DaveM.

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

I finished my crank case splitting tools today, I have been working on these on and off for about a week. I am glad they are finished and I was able to use them on a old motor and they work well! I separated the clutch side first then pushed the crank out from the magneto side since the magneto cover only has 4mm bolts then I pushed the clutch shaft out last. Check out the pictures except for my crappy welding they actually look really good!

Regards,
DaveM.
Very well done!

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

I replaced the front derailleur. The bike chain is no longer scraping the bottom of its selector/guide, so that's good.dance1