Driver Error

GoldenMotor.com

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
I have been doing alot of motorbicycling this summer and fall. Racked up alot of
mileage. Early in October, I was riding at late night with a very good lighting system
and had a very serious bicycle wreck. I was going downhill on this street with brick buildings
and no sidewalks, just metal sewer grates and an v embankment running along the entire
length of the building with a heavy build up of fallen leafs covering that section of the street
up. Igot over to let a car pass me at about 28 mph. When I got over, I got into the leafs
and the v embankment took me head on into the corner of the brick wall building head on.
The impact snapped my humeral (anatomical neck) bone clean and bruised my cheeck bone.
I had tov have emergency surgey, which the surgen put in 5 finger plates around my shoulder
and a plate on my hemeral bone and pulled my shoulder back into place to match up with the
broken bone. Anyway, Iam healing up real good and gaining back my arm movement and next
will be looking to gain back my arm strength from losing my muscle mass. Iam realy lucky to be
alive and always stay in good spirit about the accident and consequences of my driving error.
The front rim was a triple-v and survived undamaged, a very good rim. The seat had plastic
inserts and did not survive the wall impact. May you all have safe riding habits and look forward
to be back into bike riding in early spring.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
OUCH!
Get well soon. It pains me to hear of wrecks such as yours, This runs through my mind as I'm cruising down the road, hard to not play "what if", I guess it keeps me safer. Good to hear your healing well and thanks for sharing your experience with the forum.

Mac

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
Brutal! Glad to hear you're okay, get well soon. Did that driver even stop to check on you?
No, the driver of the car kept on going and unfortunatly I laid out in the road with the
leafs for 40 minutes trying to get to my feet. A older lady in a van stopped to help me
to get to my feet by extending her arm out and pulled me up..bless her heart... The lady
even was kind enough to move my motorized bicycle to around the corner of the building,
out of the roadway and took me to the hospital.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I know the bit. We decide that when we ride. Almost everything on the right side of me has been broken at a time or too. Just hope folks will realize how fragile the old hide is and ride safe. And wear a Helmet, My Carma is with you (c)

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Good to hear that you are recovering nicely. Sorry about the suffering that you had to go through. If you live long enough you will forget all of that but it will come back to haunt you with changes of weather will make you wonder what is making my (fill in the blank) hurt. May you have a speedy recovery and get your bike back on the road soon.

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
Our arms become wet noodles..
My arm became a wet noodle and it was kind of freaky. Today I went
to my garage and tried to get the feel of getting on and off the bikes.
No problems with handling the bikes that way. I have a sling with a hump
on the inside that rests against my ribs and that limits my steering of a bike
to right hand turns only. My two Gebe's have straight bar handle bars and that ruled them out for a test ride because I could not reach the right side
handle bar grip. About 3 months ago, I purchased a GT-2 while they were on
sale and used a Starfire Gen-2 engine and noticed it had curved handle bars
that I could handle but right turns only. So being such a nicec day out, I got the bike out and rode it a country block with right turns only. It has been
only 1 month since my accident but it sure felt nice being on a motorized
bicycle again. I still have a long way to go before I will be able to do any
serious riding again but it is a new beginning for me.

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
Went to the bone clinic yesterday for a doctor appointment and
they took 3 different x-rays of my injury. The doctor said it was healing
nicely and was no need to wear my arm sling with the big hump any more.
What a relief and when I got home I got my GEBE out with the straight handle bars on it and took it for a 1 hour ride...fun. Yes I am back in the saddle again but still have 2 more months of therapy to through.
I started my worksman build with the 2-stroke and shift kit about 3 days ago. I viewed DAS Kaptians' build and that helped out alot. I elongated the
holes on the shift kit mounting and used 1 inch air tube clamps on the rear mounts- part number Napa 732-1148. Ielongated the front SBP front mount also with these clamps and also the lower adjusting bracket. I did not like
the metal screws for the clear chain gaurd so I replaced them with metal
screws with a square twisted end on them....much better and you can tighten these without worry of stripping. I ran into the same small problem
of the bottom nut on clutch cover contacting the freewheel chain, but will
fix that problem. I hope to have pictures of my worksman in the near future.
Waiting on a pull-start and hoping there is enough room for the crankarm to clear.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm really sorry to hear of your accident. I know how your life can change in a moment and ho it can throw everything into a different perspective. Fifteen years ago I was hit by lightning and it turned my life upside down and was even dead for a while there. Nothing like dying to make you appreciate being alive. Ha! You have a good attitude and that will carry you a long way. Glad to hear you're riding again and look forward to some pictures of your Worksman build. I did one last summer and still wonder what it would be like with a shift kit. Pretty nice, I'm guessing. What are you doing for the rear wheel? Internal or external gears? Go easy and heal up.
SB

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
I'm really sorry to hear of your accident. I know how your life can change in a moment and ho it can throw everything into a different perspective. Fifteen years ago I was hit by lightning and it turned my life upside down and was even dead for a while there. Nothing like dying to make you appreciate being alive. Ha! You have a good attitude and that will carry you a long way. Glad to hear you're riding again and look forward to some pictures of your Worksman build. I did one last summer and still wonder what it would be like with a shift kit. Pretty nice, I'm guessing. What are you doing for the rear wheel? Internal or external gears? Go easy and heal up.
SB
How true that a persons' life can change in a moment. I just started a new therapy exercise to help build up my arm strength. After this month I will still have 2 more months of arm strengthing therapy. To help time go by faster I
enrolled in community college classes.
I got the SBP shift kit about done. I have a hard to get to nut on the bottom rear mount drive side chain side becuse of the angle and bottom
of engine in the way. One arm only to work with...lol. I t is a very clean looking build on the worksman bicycle. I had yo use the shorty spark plug with a 1/16plate behind the top rear mounting bracket to get the clearance to use a spark plug wire boot cap. About 3/4 inch clearance under rear of head. Filed down nut and bolt on bottom rear clutch cover to get the free-wheel chain clearance. I have the nexus 8-speed internal hub gear on the rear of bicycle. If that does not hold up I have the Nu Vinci internal drive hub on my Cadillac bicycle to use also.

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
I am going on my 10th day in arm strengthing and coming along nicely
with noticable improvement. When I frst started arm strengthing therapy
my arm was so weak that it just shook. The threapist is working on
getting my arm above my head and arm extended straight out also in that
direction. It feels like torture but I am enduring it without the use of
pain pills. I have a x-ray picture of the plate and finger extensions around
my shoulder with 4 screws that I will post.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I was hit (in my car) by a drunk driver head-on 13 years ago this Dec. 30th. It stopped my heart for approx. 3 minutes, and crushed my chest and knees. I am STILL recovering. It's a long road back, but it has been an adventurous trip.

Keep at it, it gets easier.....eventually.