3spd sturmey hub modified

GoldenMotor.com

babo

Dec 21, 2012
CAN
wondering if I can do either of these 2 mods to my sturmey hub:

make it fixed for a direct drive + bump starting setup.

reverse the drive side for right side drive

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Locking it up should be possible, but reversing the drive side is another story entirely.
Those hubs are very complex inside and I doubt you could easily reverse one.
That said, I have never tried modding one so I could be completely wrong.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
From what I have read you don't want to reverse the drive direction of one of these, its more just intended for the occasional fixie lockup skid or reverse freestyle trick, and they will come apart. I have one that I'm holding onto for the right build, since it doesn't have pawls inside it should hold up to motorized biking better, as pawls eventually get misshapen from the pounding of engagement, and slip.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Do you mean right side looking from the front of the bike?
I look at it as sitting on the seat looking forward, the pedal drive being on the right, motor drive on the left.

If you want a geared motor drive with an automatic transmission, you could look into a jack-shaft instead of trying to reverse something like this.

How durable are these things under motor drive?

babo

Dec 21, 2012
CAN
Do you mean right side looking from the front of the bike?
I look at it as sitting on the seat looking forward, the pedal drive being on the right, motor drive on the left.
Yes I made a mistake here, meant to say convert to left side drive!

Well I'm just getting ideas and parts together still, but I was hoping to be able to lock up this hub for direct drive and bump starting.
16v, do you mean you have a factory fixed hub? I think you're right about holding up better without pawls, maybe I can lock up the ones in mine.

bowl, thanks for coming by, it was your build that gave me the faith to use the 3spd. I have the same rear wheel as you now but no freewheel. I'm hoping to use a ~3:1 belt drive to my hub, and then the rest of the reduction between the hub and the wheel. It's pretty ambitious at this point but hope it works out lol.

btw how is your new build coming? was wanting to see your new motor on the 3spd.

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
finances make it slow.... small lay off and now I lost my air filter on a steep down town hill. I can get that soon enough, but Im hesitant to click on the 'buy' button for a new engine yet. Sux to be me atm. Yup the S3X hub is factory fixed 3-speed, with 3rd being 1-to-1. It was my dream to drive that one and bump start with it, but I saw the trike hubs first.

Im three months behind schedual to get me gpr460 engine mounted.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Well, I am just getting back to work and want to buy when my financial house is in order, Man-o-Man, do I ever have pent up consumer demand!

Despite being broke and putting your bike plans on hold, enjoy your time off.