R.i.p.

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
CHICAGO, IL (BRAIN) — Al Fritz, one of the legends of the U.S. bicycle industry, died Tuesday in Chicago.

Fritz's long career at Schwinn was most notable for his invention of the iconic Sting-Ray 20-inch muscle bike in the early 1960s. Schwinn sold millions of the influential bikes, which later were converted into BMX race bikes, leading to Fritz's induction into the BMX Hall of Fame in 2010.

Fritz retired from Schwinn in 1985. He died from complications from a stroke he suffered several weeks ago, his son Michael told BRAIN.

Fritz served as executive vice president of Schwinn Bicycles and also was president and general manager of Schwinn's Excelsior Fitness Equipment subsidiary. Besides the Sting-Ray, he was instrumental in developing the Schwinn Air Dyne exercise machine, and in offering Schwinn bike dealers an off-season product line.

"Dad is one of the most respected and admired men in the bicycle industry. He was an even better father and mentor. Our family is now trying to cope with this incredible loss," Michael Fritz said.

Michael Fritz worked with his father at Schwinn from 1973 until his father's retirement.

The family plans to hold a memorial service in the Chicago area in the next few weeks. Please check back tomorrow for more on Fritz's life and career.

I have so many great memories of the Sting Ray bikes...

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
me to. a stingray was my first bicycle waaaaaaaaaaay long ago. i have more memories with that bike then all the ones i have owned since which has been a lot of them. the stingray was the best bike i ever had

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
God how I hated that bike. It was a real piece of crap foisted upon me against my will.

My uncle won one at a bank contest and I got the thing bestowed upon me. My folks promised me 2 bikes, the 20" starter bike and then something bigger when I grew. When I was ready for one of those cool 26" 3 speed hubs, the "Stingray" was mine.

What a piece of crap. Ever try to keep up with your buds on 5 & 10 speed touring bikes with a stinking stingray? Forget it. You will be miles behind.

Had to buy my own bike with my own hard earned dough.

I have to say those stingrays were tough though. When I got my own bike with my own dough I tried my best to destroy that bike. I rode it down hills and jumped off right before it hit trees. Over and over again. Just bent the handlebars a little, nothing else broke.