Did I mess up my bike?

GoldenMotor.com

JJ1

Mar 22, 2017
Rockford
I just received my 80cc motorized bike kit in the mail. I finished assembling it last week. There are two concerns I have. The first one, when I was mixing the fuel, I poured 4oz of oil into the gas tank on the bike, I didn't notice that the petcock (fuel valve) was open and continued to pour the gas. Some oil went down into the carburetor, is this OK?

Concern number 2: I verified that I have done all of the wiring correctly, and there is no spark on the spark plug. I checked the magneto, all was well in there. Then I replaced the spark plug, no luck. At this point I have ordered a new CDI (capacitor discharged ignition) in hopes that the thing will get spark. Any help on this problem would be appreciated. :-||

Feb 2, 2017
California
Next time, make sure you mix it in a container first before pouring the mix into the fuel tank. If you are on the road and have to fuel up at gas station, gasoline first before oil..... or pump some gas in the fuel tank half-way, add oil, then top the rest. Shake well before use.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
As Potato sez; mix first. I would recommend draining the carb of whatever's in there and start over; the oil will make your first start VERY difficult. You'll also have a mix richer than anticipated. There's a screw on the base of the carb-bowl that'll permit draining.

I have NEVER had a defective CDI, I've had many coils go over the years though. I've also had problems over time with ignition cables, specifically where it connects to the spark-plug clip, but this is after months of wet riding. Try starting your bike before convincing yourself that there's no spark.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
whenever there seems no spark hold plug in hand and hand against motor and roll it forward - you may not see the spark if motor isn't turning fast enough

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Always mix the oil and the gas and mix vigorously, shake it up really good before putting it into the tank. Never mix it in the tank. You need to drain the tank then clean out the fuel lines and the carb. It's best to mix a gallon at a time, the stock tank is only 2.5 Liters. Do not mix it at 16x1, the consensus is that 16x1 is too much oil. Try 24x1 for break in (3 or 4 gallons) and 32x1 after with a quality semi-synthetic 2 cycle oil.

Are you certain you have no spark? To check the spark remove the spark plug and connect the CDI boot to it, hold the threads of the plug against the head or other metal surface and spin the rear wheel, you should see a spark. Make certain the clutch handle is released when you do this. Check it in the dark or shade or you might not see the spark if it's too bright.

JJ1

Mar 22, 2017
Rockford
I went back out there and checked for spark 1 more time. This time I saw a little spark if I looked VERY closely. A little tiny yellow spark. I tried starting it for like a minute or so, nothing. I looked at the resistance of the CDI and it reads 2 instead of 7. So, I really think its the CDI.

EDIT: I noticed that the little screw on the bottom of the carb was really loose, also, the carb should be fine, when I push the primer down gas goes to the engine, and it flows out too. I think the oil problem is no big deal but tell me if I am wrong. I did add some more gas to the mix to thin it out a little bit, so that should be fine now. The new CDI is supposed to come in tomorrow, so I will keep you updated.

Last edited:

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
You really can't go off of resistance checks on a CDI. It's made with an some solid state components, and if they're failed a resistance check will tell you bupkiss.

Check the coil, check the kill switch, check the wiring. If those check out, then the CDI. If you see any spark at all, it's working. It's hard to get a good hot spark with such a little magnet and coil.

Anyway, drain the bowl first. If the spark plug is wet, clean it off with some brake cleaner and dry it out completely. Wet spark plugs don't play well on small 2 strokes in my experience.

JJ1

Mar 22, 2017
Rockford
Dude I disconnected the kill switch entirely because that could have been a problem. Magneto has a solid ground and should be working correctly. While I was starting it it didn't fire at all (or show any signs of life). We will see. All wiring checks out, as well.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Assuming that you have cleared out the excess oil from the carb, you can try closing the gap down to 022 and see if that helps.

Don't use the primer to start as it is most likely to cause flooding than be of any practical use.

What slot is the c clip in on the needle?

Do adjustments above one at a time so you can narrow down the cause.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
when you see a spark, it usually means CDI is good - if plug is dry, it means fuel isn't getting there

JJ1

Mar 22, 2017
Rockford
How would I measure the spark plug gap? And also, I will wait until tomorrow to try this as I will be installing the new CDI unit, but I will use your advice. Also, my carburetor has no c-clip, it has an e-washer that just sits inside. Here watch this video and see what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9bn9Wl5L1Q
EDIT: I see what your talking about... I am an idiot. Ill check the C clip tomorrow when I take it apart.

Last edited:

JJ1

Mar 22, 2017
Rockford
Assuming that you have cleared out the excess oil from the carb, you can try closing the gap down to 022 and see if that helps.

Don't use the primer to start as it is most likely to cause flooding than be of any practical use.

What slot is the c clip in on the needle?

Do adjustments above one at a time so you can narrow down the cause.
How would I measure the spark plug gap? Also, I will tell you the c-clip position tomorrow when I have it apart.

Feb 2, 2017
California
Last edited:

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Like Potato said, you can find a plug gap tool at any auto parts store and they are cheap and an essential tool to have. Check for a youtube video on how to gap spark plugs.

Glad you found the needle clip!

Just do your adjustments methodically one at a time. It's a good idea to make a note of things so you don't get muddled up. When changing the needle clip position start with it in the second from the top then the top and go to third from top and then down. Most common good starting point is the second from the top. Also, give the bike time to warm up and go at least a few blocks around before you decide what the result is.

JJ1

Mar 22, 2017
Rockford
GREAT NEWS!
I got the bike running. It was the CDI.
It runs great now. I'm not running it for too long because break in.