Indian Tadpole

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Looked up Harbour Freights drill presses Rick and not to surprising there was the one I bought and the price I paid wasn't to a lot more than what H.F. wanted. Curt sent Silverbear a bench top drill press he had and I've put it through some pretty thick steel and it's never slowed down.

I was surprised at what it did. I like the space it takes up as well. We have a floor model drill press in the back workshop but this one will save a lot of foot steps.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
More done on the gas/oil tanks but nothing photo worthy as yet. Going to finish out the second tank I made so I can use tank liner on them both. Just easier to mix up the two cans of tank liner and divide it up between the tanks.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Ordered parts are trickling in. Upholstery needles and and thread for Silverbears chair came in today. Six to twelve inches long and a couple of the bigger ones look like the needles they used on my knee.

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Steve it seems you are getting there. Adding stuff for final push and future projects as well. I use Eastman's tank seal products and have had excellent results, but I know others have their favorites to swear by. Good thinking on mixing a batch for two tanks at the same time.

I also have been taking care of little stuff that matters, but which don't photograph well. Both bikes I'm taking to Houston are drained, polished & packed for the trip down next week and I've been doing some fine tuning on the bikes I ride most often, plugs and stuff, plus detailing a bit...Spring things. Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rick, it never ceases to amaze me that a person can spend the better part of a day drawing lines on something and drilling a couple of holes. Not to mention hours of creative staring and making sure it's the right thing to do before it's done.

I'm using Caswell tank sealer. It was recommended by Tom/Two Door and it's available in Canada which makes it easy to get without the two governments getting involved at the border. It will be together soon.

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Steve am I guessing right & you won the wicker chair bid for SB? I saw a wicker chair in that museum tour; mounted on the Indian tri-car and it's a beauty. Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I did Rick. When Silverbear decided to have his tri car a completely different bike he wanted a wicker chair. Since we are on the Pacific Rim Economic Zone with the Port of Vancouver as an entry point if it's coming from Asia it probably will be seen here.

We are up to our chairs in wicker furniture as a result and I told SB to wait and I'd find one and modify it. Now the race is on.

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Nobody is happier than me to know that the project is back on active duty. Curt has indicated that once some other things are taken care of he will be able to finish up the wonderful leaf spring he very nearly finished making for the Hiawatha in two wheel mode which will be a defining contribution to the build. Also, the canoe sidecar originally intended for the Hiawatha and side tracked for a few years on a Panther is returning to the Hiawatha project. It was meant to be convertible from two wheeled light motorcycle to one with a sidecar and with the front end changed over to a tri-car... three bikes in one. I'm excited about the summer and the final chapter of this build.

Steve, you may recall my picking up a headboard for a brass bed which I stripped down into components with the idea of using parts for the foot rail of the chair. Not that we have to use them, but they are there if we so choose.

Snow is melting here and the lake is grumbling... a sure indication that the ice will go out relatively soon, perhaps by mid April. Summer and bike camp are coming... woohoo!
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Still waiting for the last parts which of course are the ones I needed most. What's new there?

Filling time in with doing things like rebuilding my grand nieces new to her Radio Flyer wagon. Put 5/8" axles in it compared to the 1/2" tubing that they used. Yes tubing, not solid rod. Added air filled tires with ball bearing wheels like the ones you find on a utility hand cart.

It rolls along smoothly now and since she isn't quite 4 years old it will be easier to pull. Her 14 dolls and 3 teddy bears that go with her will find it a more comfortable ride as well.

Steve.

Here's a link to Photobucket for photos.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab228/speedydick/Indian Tri-car Build/DSC_0010_zpshhqny9hm.jpg

Here is what I'm building. This is the most original Indian tri car left.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...chair/&usg=AFQjCNEx5c6un75PfwF37bDlekkewUZ_Sw

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Today was a pretty good one. The tri car has been sitting on top of a couple of saw horse since I started building it years ago and it's been nearly impossible to get to one tool box and a set of shelves without a whole lot of effort.

My brother asked a week ago why I didn't build a table with castors on it to roll it around so it was possible to get to everything. Duhhh! Wish I had of thought of that a few years ago. For that matter I wish he'd have thought of it a few years ago. Simply a 2'x4' frame with plywood on top. I'll add a shelf underneath it to store parts for the tri car freeing up a lot of room.

I was putting the last screws into when the rain hit hard. Another monsoon for a couple of hours and then the sun came out. Just the bottom shelf to put on it and then back to the important things.

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Steve that caster stand should save much time and effort, especially when space is is tight and old "Art" is visiting and encouraging you to stop work and pay attention to him. It's just started raining here again and it's much needed, but I feel it in my bones. Build on that 1907 tri car original certainly inspires!

Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rick, our saving grace is that we are so close to the Pacific Ocean (2 blocks) that we don't need to worry about floods since the rain has a place to run off and into. Inland they may not be so lucky. On the other side of the Coastal Mountain Range it's high desert. About 5 hours inland from us.
Not the best place for someone with arthritis along the coast.

Going to the garage shortly to finish the stand off and I'll have photos tonight. Nothing fancy but it surely will be nice to have.

Between Silverbears chair and the tri car it's fully speed ahead to be ready for Bike Camp.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Done. The table worked out really well. I had the bike balanced on two saw horses with 8"x8" blocks of wood balanced on that with the bike on top of the wood blocks. I was really good at catching the bike as it headed towards the floor. As you will see that problem has been solved.

I like this set up because I can now move the bike out of the way and as I said it is now possible to get to everything on the other side without having to squeeze past the bike. The whole thing can now be moved outside for painting or welding if needed.

I may build another one to use as a work bench in place of the one I have now that is stationary.

Moving onward.

Steve.

http://s866.photobucket.com/user/sp...uild/DSC_0004_zpsafjc1sbl.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Steve that's really nice...last two years could have been a lot easier with this little workstation no doubt. As nice as the new work aid is that beauty of a front end is completely distracting. I spent a lot of time staring at the Mechum 1907 tricar photos and your tribute front has completely captured the early "feel" of the original in my humble opinion...great job! Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The top is 3/4" plywood Curt and the bottom shelf is 1/2" plywood. The framing is 1"x6" spruce. The bike was off the front end while I worked on the seat and chain stays and I have to hook it all back up again.

The nice part is that I can wheel the whole thing outside and work on it or take photos that can actually be seen without the clutter in the back ground and all the work surface.

Thank you for the like on the tad pole front end.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Thank you Rick. My brother and I were talking about when the tri car started and I looked up when it started and it was December 2010 with the discussion and planning and the build started a while later. Knock off 2-1/2 years for health problems and summers for Bike Camp and our crummy wet winters and the build hasn't taken that long in actual work hours.

I'm pleased that you like the front end of the tri car. When I was taking the photos of the work table I was thinking that the front end was out there for all to see for the first time in a long while. When I started there were only a few photos of Indian tri cars available so it was entirely guess work on my part as to size and shape. I did fill a bucket with what I refer to as "Not going to happens."

The Mecum Auction's photos on Mr. Cole's 1907 Indian tri car was a God send for me because it was showed everything in such detail. Most photos were side shots with very few photos showing the front end and nothing as detailed as Mecum's photos..

The original tri car had the tie rod drop down when it went across and I made it straight. I may change it but that is probably nit picking and just making work but other than that I'm pleased with the way it turned out.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
It's been a while since I added comments to the folks that stop into look at this thread that aren't members.

Welcome and I hope this inspires you to join our group and to build something. Perhaps a tri car, Indian or otherwise. Yes I know you wish you could but you don't have ------. You fill in the blanks.

When I started building this bike I had to dust off shaky skills learned 50 years before in Vocational School where they shipped me when I was 13. It did pay off to express my intense dislike for a teacher. Frank Oke Vocational School was a blessing for me.

I spent most of my life restoring antique furniture so there is no long history of metal working other than scrubbing rust off hinges. I have limited tools other than a 115V welder and a sandblasting cabinet. Most of the tools are hand tools. That's all you need.

You don't have a welder and you don't know how to weld. Indian22/Rick has a full commercial workshop, garage that he can use. His answer was to work at home with a $150, 115v, mig welder he bought from a seller on eBay. He tack welds the parts in place and sends it to the shop to be welded.

A welding shop will be a lot more willing and reasonable dollar wise if all they have to do is put the piece on the table and weld it with out trying to assemble it from parts.

I would buy the spindles from a go kart supplier if I was to do it again. The spindles are 3/4" and I'd get them with the springs built in.

Front hubs. I bought mine from a machinist in England. I'll have to see if he is still making them but they came with or without disc brake mounting. The other option is buying 22mm though hubs from a bicycle supply with or without brakes. I suggest brakes. I had to wrap a layer of pop can around the bolt to take up the difference between the 3/4" spindle and the 22mm hub. The hub turns on the bearings not the axle.

The tubing sizes and shapes. I'll post all that here in a day or two. All stock sizes and the curve shapes are an eyeball and guess. I used an electricians pipe bender to bend the tubing on the front end.

The gas tank is on Photobucket as to sizes for a pattern. I put all the numbers down there and there is information here on the thread. I used #28 gauge metal and soldered it. I line the tanks with Caswell tank liner.

The motor. It's a Jacobson snow thrower motor with the excess metal cut off and the flywheel fins shaved off. I bought this from another member.

The bicycle is just a generic offshore bike that Silverbear gave me one Bike Camp summer. I replaced the seat and chain stay.

Jack shaft is on the pedal crank. Sportsman Flyer sells them. I bought the sprocket and adapter from them as well.

Questions? I'll be glad to answer them. Please join the forum. It's painless. Then click on my name at the top and when the menu comes up click on, Send a private message. Post it on here if you like. I'll answer it.

The all important question is I guess what would I do differently. Mainly if I hadn't wanted to build an Indian tri car I would have built one to my specifications. Trying to build a copy is hard. To many details that have to be right to make it look good. Building your own version frees up so many things such as the motor you use and the front seat style.

I'll add Silverbears Hiawatha build here shortly. Same front end with a couple of modifications but the seat and the motor ect are different.

Steve.

http://s866.photobucket.com/user/sp...uild/DSC_0004_zpsafjc1sbl.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=32998

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
The top is 3/4" plywood Curt and the bottom shelf is 1/2" plywood. The framing is 1"x6" spruce. The bike was off the front end while I worked on the seat and chain stays and I have to hook it all back up again.

The nice part is that I can wheel the whole thing outside and work on it or take photos that can actually be seen without the clutter in the back ground and all the work surface.

Thank you for the like on the tad pole front end.

Steve.
Thanks, got to do something like it myself. So I can start my frame.........Curt