Front freewheel frozen and jammed

GoldenMotor.com
Mar 16, 2016
america
I have a middrive motor with a basic shifter kit from sickbikeparts. I have the standard freewheel between the pedal and the gears and it's recently gotten frozen in place. It wont turn and i think a ball shattered or something. Anyways, I'm going to just replace it but i cant get it off the pedal. I've got a foot long wrench on it pulling on it in a vice but it wont budge. I really don't want to have to buy another pedal set when this one's fine. Has anybody had this happen and are there any tricks you know of to get it off? Thanks.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Are you turning it the right direction? Pedals have right and left hand threads. You might be trying to tighten it. Try turning the opposite direction.

Tom

Mar 16, 2016
america
I'm aware that they're different and I'm pretty sure I was turning the right way. It should be clockwise looking at it from the pedal side shouldn't it?

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
that is the correct direction, it gets tightened by your legs...so more leverage may be needed...i just replaced the one on my gas bike (same setup for these specific parts) and getting the freewheel base off was a pita. try using a park red panner wrench to pull the thrust ring (the side with the 2 dimples/holes and usually stamped lettering) unthreads in the opposite direction then the freewheel spun before it jammed.. i couldnt keep mine tight and had some strange issues so i bought the white industries one from sbp....love it.

Side note...how is the rest of that sbp kit motor mount etc wise...thinking about electrifying my giant glory

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
oh and a small but valuable tip...use anti seize or a grease with anti seize in it on the theads of the arm when you put the new one on...will make this alot easier for servicing next time

Mar 16, 2016
america
I'm taking it home next weekend so ill have access to my tools to try to get it off. And I'm not actually using the SBP motor mount and hardware, the only thing i have from SBP is the pedals, sprockets, and freewheel. All the electronics and motor and such i got from electricscooterparts.com. Everything from both is holding up well though (besides the freewheel obviously). I have a gas motor as well as an electric o this bike so the electric parts get shaken pretty well and they're all still attached so that's pretty good I'd say. Definitely will be putting some grease on the replacement.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The front freewheel is the single most fragile and heavily stressed part in a shift kit.
ALWAYS spring for the HD version, or you now know what to expect.

ajoh

Mar 21, 2014
australia
The front freewheel is the single most fragile and heavily stressed part in a shift kit.
ALWAYS spring for the HD version, or you now know what to expect.

i second this^^ plus the HD version (an now they have an ultra HD version) are rebuildable all you need is the park tool that SBP sells, the freewheel (the HD version) bearing (6708-2RS sealed bearing P/N) can be replaced an pawls cleaned http://0101.nccdn.net/1_5/300/188/182/Freewheel_Disassembly.pdf <<link from white inc who makes the HD an UHD freewheels for SBP service guide

ps, this all can be done without removing the freewheel from the adapter.......

Last edited: