it's all wobbely! my pipe that is, help for fix?

GoldenMotor.com

PatMcLJr

Jun 21, 2009
earth
I was out my 2nd test ride, a little longer.
Seemed like everything was humming along. The she started sounding lose up and vibrating. I limped back and found the chain tensioner, kinda expected that, but the I saw my pipe danging and wobbling. I let it cool of and took the pipe parts out of it. It looks like the welds broke inside that hold the header pipe to the muffler part.

Help! I don't weld or know a welder. Can it be soldered? Braised with some kind of propane torch? A special, cheap, clamp? Any ideas other then welding?

Thanks,
Pat Jr.

Would this work?
- J B Weld Stick

Maybe some good old JB Weld?

J-B Weld Company - J-B WELD Product Information

Attachments

Last edited:

PatMcLJr

Jun 21, 2009
earth
Hello Bikeguy Joe and Cabinfeaver1977,
Thanks for the replies. OK it wont hold up. I think I'll try the wire and JB Weld until I can get a pipe for it.

Thanks Again,
Pat Jr.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I've held my tongue long enough....sorry if I offend.

JB Weld is a cheap, cheesy fix if it is a fix at all. It will not work for this application, as Bikeguy said, and unless it is just used as a filler, it is, at best, a temporary band aid.

Brazing will work, but use MAPP gas, not propane. However, if it is a chrome part, enough heat to braze will discolor the chrome quite a bit.

PatMcLJr

Jun 21, 2009
earth
Thanks for the tips!
Hey HoughMade, don't hold your tongue, let'r go! I need all the tips I can get, but on the cheap side please! Where can I get a stick of the brazing rod?

Thanks,
Pat Jr.

Forbisher

Dec 28, 2008
Orange County, CA.
I was out my 2nd test ride, a little longer.
Seemed like everything was humming along. The she started sounding lose up and vibrating. I limped back and found the chain tensioner, kinda expected that, but the I saw my pipe danging and wobbling. I let it cool of and took the pipe parts out of it. It looks like the welds broke inside that hold the header pipe to the muffler part.

Help! I don't weld or know a welder. Can it be soldered? Braised with some kind of propane torch? A special, cheap, clamp? Any ideas other then welding?

Thanks,
Pat Jr.
2nd test ride?
How old is your kit?
Where / who did you buy it from?

Sounds like your broken pipe should be covered by the sellers warranty
Did you get a warranty?

Is there a stub on the muffler left?
Chrome?
black?
Catalytic?
Posting a pic would be helpful for a temporary fix

Where on earth are you? :D

Good luck on getting back up and running ....

PatMcLJr

Jun 21, 2009
earth
right now I'm in Louisville, KY

I got some Brazing rods at HomeDepot and I used some map gas, the yellow bottle.

I heat, and I heat, and I heat, and I heat, and I heat, and I heat, it wont melt and the pipe wont turn red. I must be doing something wrong.

Is this the right rod to use?

It's just the regular black pipe. The tack weld or sweding:confused: came loose inside where the header pipe goes into the muffler part.

Thanks tons guys,
Pat Jr.

Attachments

Ocean7

Jun 9, 2009
USA
Hey Pat Jr.,

Sorry to hear about your muffler. I have learned that when dealing with these kits … expect the unexpected.

If I were in your situation I would probably just order a new part instead of using up time, money and effort for only for a “temporary” fix. It would be cheaper in the long run.

Good luck, :)

PatMcLJr

Jun 21, 2009
earth
Hummmm OK you guys give good sound advise, best I listen and take it.

Hello, Dax ...

Pat Jr.

===
Yea!
my neighbor siad he could weld it, he put a couple of tack weld on the outer edge and it seems like it's pretty sturdy now.
============

Last edited: