Another Fuel Tank variation

GoldenMotor.com

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I have been watching the local craigslist for another bike for my next build. I have decided to build some parts while I search for the frame I want. Here is the fuel tank I made that I am going to mount under the seat. It holds a little over a quart. Its made from a piece of aluminum tubing with o-ring fitted end caps. Just something different. (It's been a long winter.)

John

Attachments

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
John,

NICE!!!

That's exactly what I have planned for the Spoilers. There's no room up front for a tank on the spoilers without ruining the look of the bike. I did see one Spoiler that had an 883 Harley tank. It looked pretty good, but I still think a small cylinder is the way to go.

Last summer I bought a bunch of odds and ends material from a shop that was closing. As luck would have it, there was a bunch of different size Aluminum tubing in the mix.

Jim

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
John,

NICE!!!

That's exactly what I have planned for the Spoilers. There's no room up front for a tank on the spoilers without ruining the look of the bike. I did see one Spoiler that had an 883 Harley tank. It looked pretty good, but I still think a small cylinder is the way to go.

Last summer I bought a bunch of odds and ends material from a shop that was closing. As luck would have it, there was a bunch of different size Aluminum tubing in the mix.

Jim[/QUOTE
Yes, I got a bunch of scrap aluminum, and aluminum tubing from the last place I worked when it closed. It would probably be less work to just Tig. the end caps, instead of cutting the o-ring grooves and set screwing the caps, but I would have to run them over to a friend of mine, so I just do the extra work. I have plenty of time.

John

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
John,
Love it. Are you still going to run the kit tank and use this as auxiliary fuel. Just 'T' into the fuel line?
That's cool. Think I'll build one. Where I work we have some thin wall stainless pipe laying around. Some 3" diameter stuff that would be just about right. Thanks for the idea.
Tom

Last edited:

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
John,
Love it. Are you still going to run the kit tank and use this as auxiliary fuel. Just 'T' into the fuel line?
That's cool. Think I'll build one. Where I work we have some thin wall stainless pipe laying around. Some 3" diameter stuff that would be just about right. Thanks for the idea.
Tom
No Tom, I am just going to tuck it under the back of the seat. It wont be very noticable since it is only about the same width as the seat. It is 3" I.D. tubing and a quart of gas is enough for me, I don't take any real long rides. The next bike I am planning on building wouldn't look very good with the stock tank on the top frame tube so that is where it is going.

John

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Just a thought
A person could rework one of those disposable propane tanks into aux. tank and it is built really well...Hummmmm Recycle anyone...POPS

Funny you would mention that. I was thinking about one of those small propane cylinders. I couldn't get the nerve to drill a hole in it, thought it might blow up? That could ruin your day!

John

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
Funny you would mention that. I was thinking about one of those small propane cylinders. I couldn't get the nerve to drill a hole in it, thought it might blow up? That could ruin your day!

John
John
I have a lot of experance with auto propane. Even when the tank seems empty there is a lot of pressure in it . It can be bled off with care. On the small bottle I would put it in a vice And make shure you are covered up good like your welding.Use a pointed probe like a test light and try pushing on the little preasure valve or try pulling up on it. another thought is to push the probe into the hookup valve to slowly bleed it. DONT SMOKE and only well vented space,GLOVES and facemask. It will NOT blow up. All you have to do is watch out for is propane burn on exposed skin.Make shure you do this to an empty tank only...POPS

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
Update
I went outside and found 1 of those small tanks. Where the feed for the propane is it has a valve like a tire stem. All you have to do is wear a face shield and gloves and slowly push down on the stem.You will hear the remaining air/gas escape. When it has stopped hold it down and fill with water threw the same hole for safety. Trikkle it in until full and than drill/ cut away. I just tried it and it works.....POPS

jacliny

Oct 20, 2008
Ridge,New York
hi guys , i started a thread the other day on using propane tanks for gas, i dont know how to put the thread on here but search under my name and youll find it, it works out real well and to drill the start hole i submerge the tank and drill bit in a bucket of water. Your tanks look great!

jacliny

Oct 20, 2008
Ridge,New York
battery powered drill, just the bit in water , sorry i didnt make that clear, it would have just made the job a little more interesting you know that tingling feeling,! lol