Good Kit for a Beginner?

GoldenMotor.com

packrat79

Jun 19, 2008
I must admit I'm very new to this..... it was only a few days ago I learned there was even a such thing as a motorized bicycle kit available. What appeals to me most is that they can be had for less than $200, and this is the kit I'm considering starting with:

66cc EPA MOTOR bicycle Motorized BIKE GAS ENGINE KIT - (eBay.ca item 190230101860 end time 23-Jun-08 03:41:34 EDT)

What I need to know is if anyone has had experience with this specific kit, and how they made out with it. The guy at the following website, who is selling customized kits for about $350, warns about the the cheap quality of many others on places like Ebay:
Bicycle Engine Kits, Motorized Bicycles, Bike Engine, Bike Motor, Bicycle Motor kit

My remaining questions are:
1. How much noise does one of these make? Is it comparable to a chainsaw, and would hearing protection be necessary for people like myself with mild tinnitis? (sub question: can the muffler be modded to reduce noise?)
2. How legal are these in Canada? I was told you need a motorcycle license to use these (even though they don't go any faster than pedaling at top speed). None of the bike shops I contacted sold these, claiming there were simply too many legalities on their end.
3. Does "EPA certified" mean anything, like less noise or exhaust?
4. Can a decent kit even be had for less than $200, or is it a matter of "you get what you pay for"?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Buy the one that comes out to the least amount of money with shipping since they are nearly all the same.

1. Quieter than a chainsaw...a lot. I wear earplugs anyway since the sound of the wind drives me nuts.
2. Can't help you there.
3. No.
4. If you find a kit for under 200 with shipping, let me know.

You are buying a pig in a poke when you buy one of these....go for the best service. In the U.S. that would be that'sdax IMO.

smokinbenrage

May 18, 2008
Not if you want to spend everyday fixing something that breaks. I would not even buy one of these pieces of crap engine kits again! They say that they are low maintenance but they are not! Everyday I ride the damn thing something goes wrong and i spend more time fixing it than riding it. I will never suggest these kits to anyone. I am in the process of getting rid of my entire MB engine and bike. It is just too much of a god damn headache to deal with everyday.

-Ben-

smokinbenrage

May 18, 2008
Sorry you have a bad experience Ben. How long have you had your bike ready to ride?
Deacon,
I have had it for about 2 months and I am at my wits end with this darn thing. Everytime I ride it, something breaks. Right now the engine is making a chirping sound so I think the clutch isn't working right. I tried to adjust the clutch cable and the bolt snapped off in the clutch arm since these bolts are such poor quality. The chain tensioner is too big for by bike and it ended up flipping down into the wheel while I was riding it and destroyed my spokes. I decided to try the chain tensioner idea from Tractor Supply Store. I can't figure out how to keep the thing from pulling in towards my fender. Everytime I turn a corner my chain wants to move in towards the wheel and grabs the edge of the rear fender and crawls up it. It has taken a huge chunk ot metal from the fender. I do not know what to do about the problems that I am having with this thing. I have tried to order parts from ThatsDax but his billing system can't verify my card. He seems to be the cheapest supplier of parts around. Everyone wants to charge an arm and a leg for theirs.

I was riding my bike home from work the other day and the chain came completely in front of a bus station... I think it was an omen to start riding the bus to save money on gas.

My issues in a nutshell:
I can't get new parts
I am an idiot when it comes to fixing these things
It is costing me a small fortune to keep repairing this thing
Gas is skyrocketing
It rains too much
Clutch arm bolt broken off in the arm
chain tensioner idea from Tractor Supply is a sham (chain falls off)
I just need to vent my frustration about everything!!!!!

Thanks for listening, any ideas are greatly appreciated!

-Ben-

hojo70

Jun 3, 2008
Deacon,
I have had it for about 2 months and I am at my wits end with this darn thing. Everytime I ride it, something breaks. Right now the engine is making a chirping sound so I think the clutch isn't working right. I tried to adjust the clutch cable and the bolt snapped off in the clutch arm since these bolts are such poor quality. The chain tensioner is too big for by bike and it ended up flipping down into the wheel while I was riding it and destroyed my spokes. I decided to try the chain tensioner idea from Tractor Supply Store. I can't figure out how to keep the thing from pulling in towards my fender. Everytime I turn a corner my chain wants to move in towards the wheel and grabs the edge of the rear fender and crawls up it. It has taken a huge chunk ot metal from the fender. I do not know what to do about the problems that I am having with this thing. I have tried to order parts from ThatsDax but his billing system can't verify my card. He seems to be the cheapest supplier of parts around. Everyone wants to charge an arm and a leg for theirs.

I was riding my bike home from work the other day and the chain came completely in front of a bus station... I think it was an omen to start riding the bus to save money on gas.

My issues in a nutshell:
I can't get new parts
I am an idiot when it comes to fixing these things
It is costing me a small fortune to keep repairing this thing
Gas is skyrocketing
It rains too much
Clutch arm bolt broken off in the arm
chain tensioner idea from Tractor Supply is a sham (chain falls off)
I just need to vent my frustration about everything!!!!!

Thanks for listening, any ideas are greatly appreciated!

-Ben-
Dude, it sounds like you are mechanically challenged, maybe this isnt for you. Either that or you bought a lemon. Or both.

I received a Power Kings 80cc (my first MB ever) and have put over 250 miles on it with no breakdowns or problems. These engines appear to be pretty reliable if you bought a good one to start with, and they just GO. My only complaint is the noise level, but not much I can do about that 'cept wear ear plugs.

JS

smokinbenrage

May 18, 2008
Dude, it sounds like you are mechanically challenged, maybe this isnt for you. Either that or you bought a lemon. Or both.

I received a Power Kings 80cc (my first MB ever) and have put over 250 miles on it with no breakdowns or problems. These engines appear to be pretty reliable if you bought a good one to start with, and they just GO. My only complaint is the noise level, but not much I can do about that 'cept wear ear plugs.

JS
You are completely right! I am mechanically challanged. I guess that is where I get my self into a lot of precarious situations. I should have listened to my
dad when he said that I should have taken some shop classes instead of art classes! And to think that those art classes would have gotten me somewhere... WRONG! I have decided to take a few days off of working on the bike and I am going to find a complete set of replacement bolts and nuts of a higher quality. I think if I do that, it will cut down on the number of issues that I am having. Kinda strange how cleaning locker rooms and toilets will calm a guy down! (overnight part time job)

Thanks,

Ben

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I Think that all the Happy Time Engines need certain thing done from the on set

I knew this when i mad my puchase as was prepared to do what was needed for instance during this winter i plan to take the motor off off my bike frame and tear it down and replace the seals and bearings ect.

You have to expect that these think have some cheap components and just change them before they break, just some friendly advice.

:ride2: