chain tensioner modification

GoldenMotor.com

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Here is the mods I do to the chain tensioner.

Here is the screwdriver pointing to the sockethead set screw it taped and drilled to hold the tensioner form rotating you will notice I also have a sheet metal screw holding it as well it was used to hold the metal shimms in place.I decided to try both at once and now I don't know why?! the bolt does not go all the way through. threads are taped in the bikes frame and I think its fine threads 1/4-28

in this you can see the metal shims a little better

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Here is the mods to the bolt that hold the idler wheel in place. I drill out the bolt and use a better american bolt the cheap china idle bolt becomes a bushing and when I tighten it down it will not slip anymore but you need a lathe to drill out the bolt at least I did to get it right.

the old bolt converted into the bushing with the usa bolt. 1/2 head I think its a 5/16" dia.

greased and ready to put on the bike

Rufus wants to know what you think of this

Last edited:

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I tapped a #10-32 threads through the tensioner and installed a socket head bolt before I even saw this post. You know what they say about great minds!

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
Samantha thinks that Rufus needs to lose the "Bad Boy" look and lay off those all night Catnip parties
before it's too late . . .... D.J.

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
DJ
Your kitty is very pretty and probably well mannered.
Rufus is a Wyoming born and bread, wild cat and an outlaw, 8 years in Virginia didn't do him any good either he was sentenced to 10 years but got out 2 years early on good behavior and not turning loose the flyin monkeys or was it bribing the judge? I don't remember.
You made me laugh! Thanks!rotfl
Norman

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com

Thats just freaking funny there, Keith Richards and Rufus seperated at birth. Isn't Keith like 90 and still going strong? If he were to get clean he would drop dead like David Crosby. Don't get me wrong, I love the Strolling Bones and still pull the albums out for enjoyment. Long live Rufus...Kelly

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Am I the only dog boy here? I know a lot of us don't hold dogs in real high regard considering the history most have with one really bad dog, but Geez!rotfl

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Joe
You made me laugh! so did kellly I think Rufus and Kieth are cousins or something they do look alike. I knew Rufus was holding out on me he's probably buddies with the stones, I do like them myself.
Have fun!
We are supposed to get some nasty weather sometime today it missed us last night somewhere there was baseball sized hail. Batter up!

machiasmort

Aug 10, 2008
Buffalo,NY
stupider dog found here! testing pic upload! He's the size of a small gazelle and runs arround in the house like one! Look at the size of the nose on him!

Thanks for the ideas Norm!

Attachments

machiasmort

Aug 10, 2008
Buffalo,NY
Don't mean to get off topic but this one bites if you don't pet him, opens doors and bangs the door to come in when he's outside (don't know how to use the thumb button yet). Excuse me, I meant hasn't figured how to use it with his mouth. He already put his paw through 1/8 plexiglass. Must have been cold out there???

He does these activities regularly, with an occasional suprise in between.

I think he's possessed or something??? Guests are amussed by him but try living in the same house. He's sitting, you say lay down, he stands just to spite you! he's that smart!

Last edited:

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Keith Richards looks like he could benefit from some well-positioned tensioners to prop up those sagging bones, and keep the drive train (muscles and connective tissues) in some kind of working order.

But, like an old bike, or David Crosby....put a new chain on a worn sproket, and the whole system could fail.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Machiasmort
You will know for sure if your dog is possessed if you play music backwards and your dog starts to levitate and tries to hump your leg.rotfl
Mike I really like your chain tensioner that's nice can you do a sort of picture and post story on it? That way the other people on this forum will see how to make one (like merotfl) I have went and made my chain roller out of skate board wheels with the roller bearing and they are supper quiet and smooth I machined the urethane off and got into the black plastic part of the wheel and have a little shoulder on each side so far they work good.
Guys don't ever worry about getting off the topic on the forum I have ADD and get off the topic all the time.
I really like the catfish too that thing could be one mean mother.
Norman

Last edited:

Biker Mike

Mar 21, 2008
Cropwell Alabama
Machiasmort
You will know for sure if your dog is possessed if you play music backwards and your dog starts to levitate and tries to hump your leg.rotfl
Mike I really like your chain tensioner that's nice can you do a sort of picture and post story on it? That way the other people on this forum will see how to make one (like merotfl) I have went and made my chain roller out of skate board wheels with the roller bearing and they are supper quiet and smooth I machined the urethane off and got into the black plastic part of the wheel and have a little shoulder on each side so far they work good.
Guys don't ever worry about getting off the topic on the forum I have ADD and get off the topic all the time.
I really like the catfish too that thing could be one mean mother.
Norman
Yea Norman, This was the 1st one and kind of a test run. I just finished it today. If it holds up ok, I will be making a few more and will do a photo series as I go. I think it's gonna work out pretty good. (^)

machiasmort

Aug 10, 2008
Buffalo,NY
Mike,
Looks like a nice set up but a little close to the rim!!! Tire looks a little off balance, tread is not concentric(fatter on one side than the other). Not knocking the set up, killer job brother!

Norm, glad you can take a joke!, and know when to not take me serious!

Biker Mike

Mar 21, 2008
Cropwell Alabama
Mike,
Looks like a nice set up but a little close to the rim!!! Tire looks a little off balance, tread is not concentric(fatter on one side than the other). Not knocking the set up, killer job brother!

Norm, glad you can take a joke!, and know when to not take me serious!
Yea, the marks on the tire came from a different set up. I have not ran this idler yet. I think I may need to load the spring a little more. We'll see this weekend. Thanks for your view.:rolleyes: