Help!! Wont start anymore!?!?

GoldenMotor.com

skidmark

Apr 3, 2009
Albuquerque
Hello everyone, Well, to start, the bike was runnin' pretty good. Then after maybe 40 or so miles on it, it was having a hard time starting. So, i took out the spark plug, connected the sparkplug wire to it, grounded it to the motor and rollled the bike to see if there was spark. for a few feet, there was nothing. then, it sparked. did it a few times and there were times it woud and wouldn't spark. My wire connections seem good from the Mag to the CDI. I disconnected the kill switch just to make sure... and it STILL wont start. Is it possible that the CDI ... OR the mag could put out an intermittent spark? Someone Please give me some ideas. i've kinda ran out. :oops:P thanks! :-||:-||

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
If you only have 50 miles on it and it is new the company you purchased it from may give you a replacement, the cdi wiring is pretty fragile that comes with these kits. If I was in your shoes and the spark is intermittent like you said . I would remove the wire from both the cdi and also the plug boot , cut off 1 inch of the wire on both ends and reattach it . then test the spark . If you are still having issues . Then you have one of 2 choices,#1 change the CDI unit and or the magneto unit

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Make sure you check all wire connections, including those at the mag.

Clean the whole works with some brake or electric cleaner too.

Try a new plug.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Get rid of the stock plug and wire. The stock plug is notoriously bad in many cases, yes it has worked fine for a few folks - but it's so easy to use a known good plug and wire.

I assume fuel delivery is good. Muff unclogged. Clutch not slipping. Etc.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
part time spark?
Easy fix wiring check all wires connected with a good crimp connection or soldered together?
No broke or shorted connections. There is a very fine copper wire soldered to the mag coil, hard to see best to check all soldered joints at the mag coil.
Spark Plug gap try 0.020 and use a clean fresh plug. Plug wire ends on both ends nip off about 1/4" and reinstall.
Now for the bad news the cdi might be bad but they usually either work or quit.
Something else make sure the choke is off and hold the throttle wide open pedal it until you can hear it fire if it will you might of just flooded it. Do this with a clean spark plug.
Norman

Last edited:

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Always being hopeful for a cheap fix, I'd also wonder if the mag side key is broken. Not sure if it's possible but I could see this causing intermittent spark as it "freewheels".

skidmark

Apr 3, 2009
Albuquerque
Thanks for all the sugestions and help! SORRY it took so long for me to get back with everyone. Been working and what not. Did a little of everything. Changed out the CDI, already had a better spark plug wire. all and all.. in the end, it was the clutch lever arm. It wasn't swinging out enough to allow the clutch to grab. I can't wait for my hair on the sides of my head to start growing back after pulling them all out.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thanks for all the sugestions and help! SORRY it took so long for me to get back with everyone. Been working and what not. Did a little of everything. Changed out the CDI, already had a better spark plug wire. all and all.. in the end, it was the clutch lever arm. It wasn't swinging out enough to allow the clutch to grab. I can't wait for my hair on the sides of my head to start growing back after pulling them all out.
LOL, know what you mean about the hair thing. Glad to hear your up and running.