Overcoming of the brake arm/sprocket clash?

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Most coaster brake installations require the brake arm be bent (z-bend) to clear the sprocket/bolts. A bench vice makes it easier. A hammer or a big Crescent wrench will help bend the arm.

Good luck.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Some hubs need the bearing dust cover under the coaster brake arm modified to fit in the center hole of the sprocket without rubbing when the ragjoint is tightened as well.
This can be done with a dremel or a grinder and it's a pain in the behind if it IS needed.
I tend to just remove it on my personal bikes since I grease my hubs regularly, but it's a bad idea on a sale build or if you don't take excellent care of your hubs and bearings.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I sell a sprocket that has a bigger hole to allow the dust cap to fit for $8 exchange on the standard sprocket (takes me about 20-25min to hog it out). Even with a good front brake, I don't like to build a cruiser with coasters tho due to the force applied to the bearings when that brake over heats. Got a lot of dead hubs here with cracked bearing races and one that split the race right off the rest of the hub. Usually, $60 extra will get you a cruiser with 7-speed rear wheel & good brakes.