Gas to oil ratio

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What is the perfect oil to gas ratio that will make my 66cc motor run the smoothest?

And what's the best way to measure that?
Break in @ 24:1 then after a couple of gallons move down to a 32:1 mix. That's assuming a good quality 2 stroke oil formulated for air cooled engines.
There are alternatives such as Opt-2 and other synthetic or semi-synthetic oils.
Use the search feature and you'll have plenty to read on the subject.

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...otorbicycling.com/f3/gas-oil-ratio-33655.html

Tom

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
As for easy I use 2 plastic measuring cups for the above ratios that I use as well.
2/3 cup oil in a 1 gallon gas can for break-in.
1/2 cup after break-in.
It just doesn't get much easier than that, and the dollar store has whole sets of measuring cups for $1 so get a couple sets ;-}

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
What's the best oil to use synthetic or regular?
You want your motor to 'break in' properly which means a little wear so everything seats and meshes well inside the engine. Non-synthetic 2-stroke oil is best for that, I use whatever cheap non-synthetic stuff I find at the auto parts store or Ace hardware.

After break-in go synthetic from then on.
As for brand I have no preference other than cost.
Amsoil (Amway) and others have 50:1 and 100:1 2-stroke oils, I have tried a both but always low-balled the mix. For example if it says 100:1 I'll mix it 80:1, for 50:1 maybe 40:1. If you can the same friction reduction with less oil then that means more gasoline so a very slight performance advantage but not enough for me to justify the higher price.

Many places carry little 4oz bottles for 32:1 for a gallon of gas but you pay out the butt having it in a per-measured container. Whatever you buy, buy it by the quart and save some money ;-}

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
http://www.csgnetwork.com/oilfuelcalc.html

This is also a life saver calculator when you don't feel like doing math.

Based on this, it's 5.3 ounces per gallon for break in, and then 4 ounces per gallon after words.

I user whatever Advance has (It's a hop away from my home). Get the bigger containers and save some cash. I'm still trying to find a decent 2 stroke oil measuring cup/system.