what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Put it on a flat surface and dress it with medium grit paper... No need to seal clutch cover...
Or file it carefully if you have a large file. It's not important to have a perfect seal on the clutch cover. There's nothing in there to leak out.
I've contemplated cutting fancy patterned vent slots in mine, sorta like they do with some of the Ducati's that have a dry clutch.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

I got in 3 or 4 miles in a couple short hops, today. Tried out the front rim with a wider tire and it did give me a little better cush. I'll switch out the back within a few days.
Engine was really straggling the first trip out and I ended up pedaling more than I wanted to... Took off the cns when I got back home and put on the nt from the other kit that's never been assembled. Night and day!
For one thing, the float valve works, and I like the lever choke far better than the cable connected plunger-thingy-do-dad. AND, it got one cable off my handlebars! Bonus!!!
I don't think the plunger was seating properly. Now that I've taken it apart, again, I can see where it has a bit of rubber on the bottom of it. I don't think it was sealing well, even with the spring pressure pushing down on it.

I wish the nt had a idle speed mixture control, but doesn't seem it needs one...

Brakes functioning on rear AND front is like night and day! Whew!
I will learn my lesson and never, ever, go out under power with only one brake again! MOF, you couldn't sell me a coaster brake on a MAB on a bet!
I'm gonna look for disks, next!

Really wish the mtb had more trail in the front end...

Been rooting through my collection for a small toolbag and figgerin what all should be in it . ...in addition to the leatherman Dan advised !

Gosh I like WayneZ's friction Predator!
rc

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR

today I fond out why I was having problems with my higher end rev range and I think I may get some more useful information. it looks as though the exhaust gasket on my little 66's Skyhawks slant head got a bit loose.

It started out me losing the high and power and torque that I was used to getting out of this kit it's a slanted 66 cc Skyhawk. I do run a modified sick bike parts expansion chamber and it has served me quite well through three engines. I had to lengthen the rear part of the pipe so it would fit more easily being next to the crake. In doing so I had to lengthen other sections so that the pipe would remain "tuned". I believe I have found the reason for all of the dark oily material that winds up on my motor. It looks like the new bolts that are holding the exhaust pipe on in their aluminum gasket in place have rattled loose. I usually use two sets of nuts on each one of those bolts and it turned out that the outside nuts were still tight but the inside ones had loosened. This caused black oily used to be dumped all over the front of my engine.

The reason I even notice to all was because I wasn't getting the power I was used to getting out of it so I disassembled the pipe completely taking off the manifold and cutting less than half inch from it. I was hoping that this "tuning" will get me some more top end for the engine. This is easily accomplished because there's already a joint into the tubes with a rubber seal has clamps on either tube. So I just pulled apart l cut end of the tube off as much as I need to balance the power band were it will do more good and then hop on it and give it a ride to see if it made any difference. Unfortunately when I reassembled it I used blue lock-tight on all of my hardware and I have to wait until tomorrow until I see if it made any good.

Hopefully the lock tight will be doing its job and the manifold wont start leaking spent oil and burnt hydrocarbons all over the front of my engine. like it did in the past few days.

mike

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio

There is a good reason to seal your clutch cover - it keeps the pressure balanced against the engine seal.
Please enlighten me how a cover equalizes pressure on the seal as the sealing action of crank seals primarily from crankcase pressure inflating the inner wall slightly expanding the ribbed surface to seal on the crank.I don't think there is enough internal pressure in the clutch compartment to affect the seal at all. The only reason there is a gasket on either the clutch cover or mag is keep out water which is detrimental to both.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Still trying to get the bolt out of my broken center stand. On the bottom, was enough bolt out to grind a slot for a screw driver. Immediately parted it half off. LOL. So drilled a hole in the other side and quickly broke off my handy-dandy HF screw extractor. So tried to drill it our and the extractor is harder then the bits I have. Is just dang funny how annoying this cheap Chinise bolt is messing with me. Then noticed, the legs of the stand part are spreading. I couldn't figure out how my springer forks were growing.

I need a nap and or a beer.....

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio

Hardened extractors almost have to be burned out Dan. Try torching around the mount (not the bolt itself) to expand the metal of the stand and threads once you have a way to grip and turn the bolt. I hate cheap extractors they always break on me it seems.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

With a perfect size sharpened punch a brittle hardened bolt extractor can be broken out crumb by crumb piece by piece. Takes an amazing amount of patience tho. I got in a manifold on a turbo once that took me all day on a front wheel drive car with no room to work a hammer. I broke a nice tiny snap on drill bit in one of the broken bolts prepping for the extractor.rotfl

Note a cheap Chinese metallurgy type punch not recommended lol.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Cool Mark, thank you.

Hey, I will start a thread but would like to ask for your thoughts (and every one's) I would like to design a rear, center kick stand. HD for our heaver bikes but that could be made with simple tools. I have a pretty good idea on how to go about what I would like but have a drill press and mill. But thinking with some thought, could be done with a drill and some hardware parts. Actually, would be a cool thread to do with every thing that can be DIY'ed parts. To make wide frame adapters, I have a piece of cardboard with 3 bolts hanging from it. Ya put the middle bolt on the opposite side of a piece of flat stock in a vise and makes a perfect half moon shape. A thread on stuff like that for folks who like the DIY thing or folks on a tight budget. (lol, ya know, all of us)

I really enjoy the group effort thing when designing. Is a lot of fun and with this stuff, always ends up working out well.

I think most every thing DIY is here some where and findable, but be cool to have a central thread for that sort of thing.

http://motorbicycling.com/f36/diy-parts-simple-tools-32245.html#post311210

.flg.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho

Please enlighten me how a cover equalizes pressure on the seal as the sealing action of crank seals primarily from crankcase pressure inflating the inner wall slightly expanding the ribbed surface to seal on the crank.I don't think there is enough internal pressure in the clutch compartment to affect the seal at all. The only reason there is a gasket on either the clutch cover or mag is keep out water which is detrimental to both.
By the grace of allah and the seal on my clutch cover I was able to run on a blown seal 30 miles to get home. Without that clutch cover on it wouldn't even idle. Trust me, not blowing smoke - that's all experience.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio

Cool Mark, thank you.

Hey, I will start a thread but would like to ask for your thoughts (and every one's) I would like to design a rear, center kick stand. HD for our heaver bikes but that could be made with simple tools. I have a pretty good idea on how to go about what I would like but have a drill press and mill. But thinking with some thought, could be done with a drill and some hardware parts. Actually, would be a cool thread to do with every thing that can be DIY'ed parts. To make wide frame adapters, I have a piece of cardboard with 3 bolts hanging from it. Ya put the middle bolt on the opposite side of a piece of flat stock in a vise and makes a perfect half moon shape. A thread on stuff like that for folks who like the DIY thing or folks on a tight budget. (lol, ya know, all of us)

I really enjoy the group effort thing when designing. Is a lot of fun and with this stuff, always ends up working out well.

I think most every thing DIY is here some where and findable, but be cool to have a central thread for that sort of thing.

http://motorbicycling.com/f36/diy-parts-simple-tools-32245.html#post311210

.flg.
Diy thread with simple tools is a good thread idea count me in...

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Diy thread with simple tools is a good thread idea count me in...
Awesome Mark, TY. Was just sitting here staring at a bike and contemplating it.

Be kinda cool as it could help out the community. Was also thinking it would make for some great articles for your magazine. I have all but given up on mine. No submissions so far. I should send you what I have collected. Is not much.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Got out for a boot with the new trailer today, that was fun. When she was empty on the way to the grocery store, I went a little too fast around a turn and she flipped on her side. Didn't bind the bike at all, just made some noise. So hopped off and righted her, and lesson learned.

If it was to be pure bin all the time, i'd drop the supports a foot and set the bin into it. But I want to be able to haul bikes and lumber, so I can learn to slow down, lol.

Grabbed $100 of groceries and didn't fill half the bin. Normally I'd be hanging bags off the side of the milk crate with thick copper wire.... So much easier now.

Plus, I must've given out 8 cards today to people wanting to chat about the combo. Met this one cool dude at the store who had a trike with an old bar chair for a seat. Heh heh, I said "You should motorize that thing", but he didn't know how or where, so, *boom* Card, "check this site out".

Whicked day!

cflg

Last edited:

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Installed a speedo on my bike. It wrong because it will say 30 mph when I'm cursing
At 12ish. Also installed 2 more rear lights and 4 in the front. In a few days I will have turn signals.

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan

took the motorless bicycle for a test ride (I need to adjust the brakes & shifter cable)
cleaned out the gas tank
laid out the sprocket parts for tomorrow's work
made a shopping list for stuff I'll need to prep the motor according to Bikeguy Joe's guide

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio

I guess it wasnt what I did to the bike but more what it did to me on the way home from the store about 10 minutes ago... I was cruising along at about 35 when I hear an awful racket all of a sudden and looked down to see the engine flopping side to side... seems that it sheared both front mount bolts off of the SBP universal mount and was holding on by the rear mount only. I didn't miss a beat though never even stopped and propped the engine in place with the heel of my left foot and continued the last quarter mile home at reduced speed LOL... Have to wait till the thing cools down to see what all got broke. Kinda burnt the pee wadlins out of my left calf though when it touched the head.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

I got a new S6-C-competition 11.3 hp water cooled Morini sitting at my feet and a 21 mm carb coming from a fellow forum member.:D Been looking at the spec sheet on it pretty cool has a dyno chart with it.dnut

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa

I got a new S6-C-competition 11.3 hp water cooled Morini sitting at my feet and a 21 mm carb coming from a fellow forum member.:D Been looking at the spec sheet on it pretty cool has a dyno chart with it.dnut
Awesome is that the 900 buck engine? I'm scared that would be too much torque for any bicycle I buy. Im looking at the one that's 600 bones, heh I can dream.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Awesome is that the 900 buck engine? I'm scared that would be too much torque for any bicycle I buy. Im looking at the one that's 600 bones, heh I can dream.
Yep that is the 800 dollar one. Thought it was time to try a water cooled one. I love these motors.

My current BoXer from Piplyne is holding up awesome with the 9.4 S6S I got @ over 2000 miles now. I really never carry tools just a quart of extra fuel for very long journeys nothing ever comes loose.

Cranks etc came loose a couple of times seating in. I eventually personally myself set the cold setting on the rear wheel spokes when settling in now I got absolutely notta perfection! I just ride it like a horse in the Westerns relentlessly cracking the whip to both sides lol.

My 5.8 hp one never had probs with spokes ether. I sure thought it would. What I learned about spokes is if they are not teinsioned tight properly they loosen back up. I got mine pretty tight and they work perfect.

I think the guy that I let re-lace my last wheel just wanted repeat business the crooked way? I lazily tightened up loose spokes when I found them about every 300 miles. Then finally just went over all of them and no more probs since then they are as tight as I last left them.

I thought about building another bike? I think I will just get another BoXer it does everything I want it to do. I tear up the city streets with it as a main stay of transpo. With nothing to fix on this one the only best thing left for being board is build another.dnut