Newbie's first project

GoldenMotor.com

fundreamer1

Dec 6, 2010
Oklahoma
I posted in General before I spotted this link for newbies, hope I didn't get anyone as confused as me. lol Anyway, Here is what I'm starting with:

And yes, that is where I mounted my cup holder, lol

This is the donor bike I bought for the engine, tank, sprocket etc. It has electric start as well as kick start and 49cc 4 stroke 4 speed one directional tranny, supposed to run up to 50 mph as it is, Don't know what it will do on the bicycle.

Let me know your thoughts, or nightmares with this.
scratg

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
dreamer

Welcome, you are headed in the rite direction. lol

crazy horse has a lot of info on your type of build.

there are a couple other menbers that have built some awsum bike along that avenue also, can`t recall their user names at the moment.

they may jump in to help you

i don`t know how big you are, but the schwinn occ choppers etc are nice looking platforms for that motor.

your blue bike may not be a very good frame, not enought room?? some members have used the stretch cruiser frames. they look great. you should end up with a great dependable ride.

if you don`t mind my asking, did you get a deal on the mini chopper?

ron .cvlt1

Last edited:

fundreamer1

Dec 6, 2010
Oklahoma
dreamer

Welcome, you are headed in the rite direction. lol

crazy horse has a lot of info on your type of build.

there are a couple other menbers that have built some awsum bike along that avenue also, can`t recall their user names at the moment.

they may jump in to help you

i don`t know how big you are, but the schwinn occ choppers etc are nice looking platforms for that motor.

your blue bike may not be a very good frame, not enought room?? some members have used the stretch cruiser frames. they look great. you should end up with a great dependable ride.

if you don`t mind my asking, did you get a deal on the mini chopper?

ron .cvlt1
Hello NEAT TIMES,
Yes I got a good deal on it, I paid $400.00 on it. They were going for more but the gas cap broke and they couldn't get it off! lol!! It took me all of 5 minutes to get it off, went down to Auto Zone and got another one for about $9.00 And started it up. I rode it around with no problems at all!
As far as the bike goes, I know I'll have to modify the frame for the engine to fit. I was thinking about getting a second frame and making a two man bike and putting the engine in the middle. (All the space I need) That way I can share to fun without the cost of two bikes, this motor has enough power to take two riders up a hill with no problem. (^) Now I need to determine the chain size. (I don't know them very well) I think it may be a 40 to 45?
Once I know that, then I can order the sprocket kit for the rear wheel. I don't expect too many problems with this build, I just have wait until I get my welder fixed. (Part is on back order until the 12th)

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
It may be 415 chain. Some one will post sooner or later. The rear sprocket size is important. I would be sure what is needed, it is easy to end up with things you don`t use.

If you see some of the builds it will get you excited. Especially the stretchs and the choppers.

Hopefully you will hear from the builders. That price should save you some money. Good luck

Ron

PS ELMO BUILT A STRETCH 2 SEATER WITH THE HF 79CC

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Ron, aka Neat Times is right, fundreamer1, and welcome to the motorized bicycle addiction / community, and to one of the greatest motorized bicycle forums in the world!!! JMO.

You should try reading up on Stretch Cruisers & Chopper builds, for info regarding the Chinese cloned Horizontal Honda 50cc 4-Stroke, Mini Trail 50, Monkey Bike 50, ATV / Dirtbike / Pitbike 50cc-110cc type engines.

You can find on craigslist an Schwinn Stingray OCC Chopper for really reasonable price $40.00 and up. The bike you are using is not practical for using that type of engine, you need a stretch cruiser or chopper bike to really make something happen with your build.

Here's Stretch Cruiser & Choppers forum I'd suggest for you to read:

http://motorbicycling.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40

These threads will answer many of your questions, as most of these builders who use Chinese cloned Lifan, Loncin, Hensim, Roketa, Horizontal Honda 50cc 4-Stroke, Mini Trail 50, Monkey Bike 50, ATV / Dirtbike / Pitbike 50cc-110cc type engines, have been there & done that with regards to this style or type of motorizing!

Peace Crazy Horse.
P.S. As for the chain size you can remove the cover on the engine where your drive sprocket is you should see the sprocket size & chain size stamped on the sprocket! see pic below of drive sprocket with chain size info etc etc..

fundreamer1

Dec 6, 2010
Oklahoma
Ron, aka Neat Times is right, fundreamer1, and welcome to the motorized bicycle addiction / community, and to one of the greatest motorized bicycle forums in the world!!! JMO.

You should try reading up on Stretch Cruisers & Chopper builds, for info regarding the Chinese cloned Horizontal Honda 50cc 4-Stroke, Mini Trail 50, Monkey Bike 50, ATV / Dirtbike / Pitbike 50cc-110cc type engines.

You can find on craigslist an Schwinn Stingray OCC Chopper for really reasonable price $40.00 and up. The bike you are using is not practical for using that type of engine, you need a stretch cruiser or chopper bike to really make something happen with your build.

Here's the Stretch Cruiser & Choppers forum I'd suggest for you to read:

http://motorbicycling.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40

These threads will answer many of your questions, as most of these builders who use Chinese cloned Lifan, Loncin, Hensim, Roketa, Horizontal Honda 50cc 4-Stroke, Mini Trail 50, Monkey Bike 50, ATV / Dirtbike / Pitbike 50cc-110cc type engines, have been there & done that with regards to this style or type of motorizing!

Peace Crazy Horse.
P.S. As for the chain size you can remove the cover on the engine where your drive sprocket is you should see the sprocket size & chain size stamped on the sprocket! see pic below of drive sprocket with chain size info etc etc..
Thanks a lot, I never knew there was this much info available. It will keep me busy for quite sometime just reading.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Here's a better closeup, can you see it now 420-Chain / 14-Tooth. By removing the rear left side cover you can read very easily what size chain you need. It's that simple.

Most of these Honda / Clone engines have the stamped chain size and sprocket tooth size stamped on the engine drive sprocket.

Hope this helps fundreamer1.

Peace Crazy Horse!

fundreamer1

Dec 6, 2010
Oklahoma
Here's a better closeup, can you see it now 420-Chain / 14-Tooth. By removing the rear left side cover you can read very easily what size chain you need. It's that simple.

Most of these Honda / Clone engines have the stamped chain size and sprocket tooth size stamped on the engine drive sprocket.

Hope this helps fundreamer1.

Peace Crazy Horse!
I decided to take your advice and I looked on craigslist, and I found and bought a Schwinn OCC for $50.00. It has rust forming over the chrome, but nothing I can't handle. I grew up doing body and paint work. I'll post pics tomorrow. Thanks for all the help guys.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Awesome, fundreamer1!

Now just cut out remove that seat down tube:

Now you can start your engine install:

You can get the complete motor right now on sale from Pccmotor.com
you will have to run a small sprocket here under the right side of the engine for the pedal chain to clear, this is a Honda cloned Lifan 110cc electric or kick start engine:

If you decide to use this type of engine, for your build pccmotor has a complete package deal on the engine here's the Link:
SEMI AUTO! 88CC 86CC MOTOR ENGINE HONDA CRF50 XR50 COMPLETE SET UP

Peace Crazy Horse..shft.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Here is some pics of starting my build.
Can anyone tell what size my chain is? I didn't find it on the sprocket, I have my hand in the pic for size reference, but can measure it if needed.

fundreamer1, from seeing the picture I'd say that your chain size is a 420.

Suggestion's, check your LBS or online for a smaller pedal chain ring, and shorter pedal crank arms, if you are having clearance issues with the engine.

Remember you'll most likely have to run a small cog / sprocket under the right side of the engine for your pedal chain to clear the engine.

Make sure you have the engine drive sprocket lined up with real wheel sprocket before you weld in your skid plate / engine mount.

Check online for the swivel adapter for your carb intake if you have any clearance issues with the carb and frame.

Build looks good so far!

Have you started a build thread in the Stretch Cruiser & Chopper Bicycles, section of the forum?

Suggested titles for your thread:
1. OCC Chopper Pitbike Engine

2. OCC Chopper Lifan 50cc

Hope to see you starting your own build thread with this Chopper build!

Peace Crazy Horse..shft.

fundreamer1

Dec 6, 2010
Oklahoma
fundreamer1, from seeing the picture I'd say that your chain size is a 420.

Suggestion's, check your LBS or online for a smaller pedal chain ring, and shorter pedal crank arms, if you are having clearance issues with the engine.

Remember you'll most likely have to run a small cog / sprocket under the right side of the engine for your pedal chain to clear the engine.

Make sure you have the engine drive sprocket lined up with real wheel sprocket before you weld in your skid plate / engine mount.

Check online for the swivel adapter for your carb intake if you have any clearance issues with the carb and frame.

Build looks good so far!

Have you started a build thread in the Stretch Cruiser & Chopper Bicycles, section of the forum?

Suggested titles for your thread:
1. OCC Chopper Pitbike Engine

2. OCC Chopper Lifan 50cc

Hope to see you starting your own build thread with this Chopper build!

Peace Crazy Horse..shft.
Is there anyway I can be sure of the chain size before I order the sprocket kit? And again, I appreciate all the pointers, your probably saving me months of time here. I did start the thread:
http://motorbicycling.com/f40/schwinn-stingray-occ-chopper-pitbike-build-25923.html

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Looking good dreamer. I wonder if the fork of the donar bike would fit, that would give you a needed front brake and some suspension. Just a thought.

Your just like shania twain = on my way! Lol

ron