Crazy Idle

GoldenMotor.com

hewhoeatspumpkins

Sep 27, 2010
new york
Hey guys, my first project over here and I'm loving learning as I go, but does anyone know why my 2 stroke skyhawk when idling will be fine for about 1/2 minute and then it just revs like it's on full throttle? I've messed with all the adjustment screws, and it's all good for about 1/2 minute and then it just goes nuts.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
-P

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Probably an intake leak at one end of the intake manifold. Either where the manifold mounts to the head, or at the carb connection.

If you've had the manifold off the head without replacing the gasket it's probably leaking there.

Whenever I install the carb, I always put a little silicone sealer on the manifold before I slide the carb on.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Not necessarily an air leak. I had a similar problem and went to extremes looking for the leak. What I found was wear, probably from many miles of vibration, in the slots where the pin and idle speed screw contacts the carburetor slide (barrel). It would allow the slide to twist slightly and when you backed off the throttle it would occasionally jamb on the screw tip and/or alignment pin holding the throttle open. I used a Dremel and 400 sandpaper, smoothed the rough edge and stopped the problem then later replaced the carb. Just my experience but be sure there's no air leaks too. They're the most common cause of a fast/erratic idle and with a newer engine I doubt you've run it long enough to experience wear in the carburetor. Also air leaks are not restricted to the intake area. Crankshaft seals can leak giving the same symptoms as a leak around the carb/intake. To check for this remove the magneto and clutch side cover and check for oil.
Tom

Last edited: